Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Thunder Alley» Forums » Rules

Subject: Draft Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Dextraze
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft Movement: Can lateral movement be done after forward movement?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Once a link has been created neither draft nor pursuit movement allow for lateral moves.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
h00sha wrote:
No. Once a link has been created neither draft nor pursuit movement allow for lateral moves.


the key portion of that statement is "once a link has been created." prior to a link being formed, lateral movement is indeed permitted after forward movement.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameNerds wrote:
Draft Movement: Can lateral movement be done after forward movement?


The answer is a qualified yes. As long as a link is not established you may do so. So you may move forward and if you didn't bring a car with you and don't push one with the movement, you may indeed still move laterally.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
War Weasel
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
BoardGameNerds wrote:
Draft Movement: Can lateral movement be done after forward movement?


The answer is a qualified yes. As long as a link is not established you may do so. So you may move forward and if you didn't bring a car with you and don't push one with the movement, you may indeed still move laterally.


Even if your car started its activation as part of a line of linked cars?

For example you play a draft movement card and activate a car that is somewhere in the middle of a long line of linked cars.

you move laterally for your first MP then forward (alone, no one behind or in front of you) and then you can move again laterally?

and keep moving like a solo movement card until you encounter a car in front of you after moving forward, or a car behind and/or in front you after moving laterally?

the rulebook in not so clear in this instance, it clearly says that you can do the above in the case you started your activation unlinked to other cars (alone), but if you start your activation as part of a line of linked cars it seems that you cannot move laterally after starting to move forward ... ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsentaris wrote:
Jeff Horger wrote:
BoardGameNerds wrote:
Draft Movement: Can lateral movement be done after forward movement?


The answer is a qualified yes. As long as a link is not established you may do so. So you may move forward and if you didn't bring a car with you and don't push one with the movement, you may indeed still move laterally.


Even if your car started its activation as part of a line of linked cars?

For example you play a draft movement card and activate a car that is somewhere in the middle of a long line of linked cars.

you move laterally for your first MP then forward (alone, no one behind or in front of you) and then you can move again laterally?

and keep moving like a solo movement card until you encounter a car in front of you after moving forward, or a car behind and/or in front you after moving laterally?

the rulebook in not so clear in this instance, it clearly says that you can do the above in the case you started your activation unlinked to other cars (alone), but if you start your activation as part of a line of linked cars it seems that you cannot move laterally after starting to move forward ... ninja
Well they aren't "linked" until forward movement in the line of cars. It's a formal status, not just immediate from the the positioning of the cars alone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsentaris wrote:


and keep moving like a solo movement card until you encounter a car in front of you after moving forward, or a car behind and/or in front you after moving laterally?



You keep moving like solo movement until you move forward when a car is adjacent in front of you (in which case you link with that car) or move forward when a car is adjacent behind you (in which case you link with that car).

Just being behind or in front of a car does not cause you to link with that car.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
BoardGameNerds wrote:
Draft Movement: Can lateral movement be done after forward movement?


The answer is a qualified yes. As long as a link is not established you may do so. So you may move forward and if you didn't bring a car with you and don't push one with the movement, you may indeed still move laterally.


6.4.2. page 7 says: "A car activated with draft movement may move laterally as much as desired before beginning forward movement."

The "and displace cars" part of this sentence is not conditional as it is placed in brackets.

We took it literally and didn't allow any lateral movement after the first because of the sentence. A few sentences later the movement is placed on par with Solo Movement as long as a link is not established making it all very confusing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
see my response in the other thread. As long as a car is not linked, it follows solo movement rules. It becomes linked whenever there is a car directly in front/behind it (depending on the type of movement)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.