Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing World of Warcraft: The Boardgame today, and was disappointed that it hadn't aged well. It was just a bit too fiddly, with immense downtime, and just seemed more hard work than fun.

So I was wondering if anything had come out in the meantime that might have stepped up to replace it. What I'm looking for is:

- Medium-weight (so lighter than WoW:TBG. More on the level with Eldritch Horror).

- Fully competitive (not co-op or many-against-one).

- "High level" strategic adventure (like WoW), rather than "low-level" tactical combat (like Descent).

- Not completely luck-based.

- Preferably with more to do than just killing things.

- Preferably no more than 2-3 hours long.

Theme isn't important - can be fantasy, sci-fi, horror or anything.

Games I've already played that don't fit the bill:

- Mage Knight (too long and complicated).
- Runebound (too slow paced and boring).
- Mansions of Madness (too "low level" and also not fully competitive).
- World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game (too simple).
- A Touch of Evil (too luck-based and random).

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure, I haven't played this game but…

I was recently looking into Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game, which can be played in several modes one of which is full completive, and it looked promising to me while I was looking for a similar style game. It's a bit pricy but seems to fit all criteria your looking for. Perhaps someone who has played it can comment to it on this thread. I've also subscribed to this thread as I'm looking for similar recommendations at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personman10 wrote:

I was recently looking into Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game, which can be played in several modes one of which is full completive, and it looked promising to me while I was looking for a similar style game. It's a bit pricy but seems to fit all criteria your looking for. Perhaps someone who has played it can comment to it on this thread. I've also subscribed to this thread as I'm looking for similar recommendations at the moment.

I'm extremely wary of Flying Frog games, as they all just seem to be over-produced dice-based luck-fests. Have not been impressed with either Last Night on Earth nor A Touch of Evil.

I've amended my OP to also include "not completely luck-based".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the new The Witcher Adventure Game might be worth a look.
I have not played it yet or even seen much about it, but at least "on paper" it could fit your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
Maybe the new The Witcher Adventure Game might be worth a look.
I have not played it yet or even seen much about it, but at least "on paper" it could fit your requirements.

Yeah, that one has definitely got my attention. I'm a little concerned over a few early reviews which say it's extremely simplistic and that many quests can be solved just by moving backwards and forwards between two locations multiple times. They were apparently beta reviews though, so I'm reserving final judgement for when the real thing is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Personman10 wrote:

I'm extremely wary of Flying Frog games, as they all just seem to be over-produced dice-based luck-fests. Have not been impressed with either Last Night on Earth nor A Touch of Evil.

I've amended my OP to also include "not completely luck-based".

You aren't wrong, there's ridiculous amounts of dice rolling in Fortune & Glory, but I wouldn't say it's totally a luck-fest. It's similar to Eldritch Horror, in that a big part of the game is getting skill upgrades and gear to help mitigate the luck.

It might be worth trying it out 'cos it fits the bill on lots of your other criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonquest: deadly roguelike luck fest, crazy, you can't go simpler than that

Relic: sci-fi version of Talisman, a tiny bit upgraded thanks to the Warp and some overall polish

Cutthroat Caverns: a funny mix of co-op (you must join to overcome monsters) and competitive (only one can be the winner)

Magic Realm: long, complex, detailed fantasy adventure now OOP (available as DIY)

Dungeon Twister: dungeon puzzle solving; there's also a card version

Tales of Arabian Nights: a choose-your-own-adventure like game, immense replayability with amazing stories, basic game system

Merchants & Marauders: sea adventures in the 18th century

Prophecy: a Talisman-like from the maker of Mage Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:
Dungeonquest: deadly roguelike luck fest, crazy, you can't go simpler than that

Relic: sci-fi version of Talisman, a tiny bit upgraded thanks to the Warp and some overall polish

Cutthroat Caverns: a funny mix of co-op (you must join to overcome monsters) and competitive (only one can be the winner)

Magic Realm: long, complex, detailed fantasy adventure now OOP (available as DIY)

Dungeon Twister: dungeon puzzle solving; there's also a card version

Tales of Arabian Nights: a choose-your-own-adventure like game, immense replayability with amazing stories, basic game system

Merchants & Marauders: sea adventures in the 18th century

Prophecy: a Talisman-like from the maker of Mage Knight

Of all of these, the best and closest to what I want is Merchants & Marauders, but that falls down on the fact that it's more focussed on trade than adventuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal checks all the boxes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy is a good choice.

One I'm looking into but haven't played is also Arcadia Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Star Trek Fleet Captains? I love that game. Plenty of story through cards that you draw after exploring new tiles, variable missions to complete, variable ships and crew...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bauerheath wrote:
Have you tried Star Trek Fleet Captains? I love that game. Plenty of story through cards that you draw after exploring new tiles, variable missions to complete, variable ships and crew...

Yes, that actually does fit my requirements quite well (I had just not really thought of it that way), and I already own it. I wonder if there are any others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
World of Warcraft the adventure game isn't bad either, but it it also a lot like Talisman in the sense that your typical turn is drawing a card and rolling a die. It has character specific spell decks though, and a quest system that adds more variety than you would find in Talisman.
It's just a shame that some bad luck can totally ruin it (getting an aggro monster and constantly failing the roll so you get stuck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
World of Warcraft the adventure game isn't bad either, but it it also a lot like Talisman in the sense that your typical turn is drawing a card and rolling a die. It has character specific spell decks though, and a quest system that adds more variety than you would find in Talisman.
It's just a shame that some bad luck can totally ruin it (getting an aggro monster and constantly failing the roll so you get stuck)

Yeah, I used to own that and traded it away. Kinda wish I hadn't now.

Can you remind me how the quest system worked in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.