Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting for my copy of Relic and Nemesis and wanted feedback from other owners on how to get into my first game. Any comments about what to watch for, what endgame mission to play etc would be helpful.

Any funny stories from playing would also be great. I have played Talisman in the past and remember some of the funny situations that can occur.

Thanks for taking the time to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a long time Talisman fan (2nd & 4th editions) and introduced Relic to my friends (who also have played Talisman and a couple of them own their own copy) and Relic went over big.

One friend liked it more than me and picked up his own copy and got the expansion which I don't have yet. Then another friend did the same.

If you have played Talisman you will learn the game quickly but there are some differences.

I recommend my review here for Talisman fans:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1194948/you-talisman-should-...

I recommend for your 1st game just use the basic ending. Also I have played with the expansion twice now, and would recommend not using the new Nemesis characters. Though you certainly can throw in the new "adventure" cards. So I recommend learning the game before using all of the expansion, but you can definitely use some of it.

I am still bit of a new player having only played like 4-5 games. But if you have read the forum threads on Relic and its expansion, you should have a good heads up on some of the bumps of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
I am a long time Talisman fan (2nd & 4th editions) and introduced Relic to my friends (who also have played Talisman and a couple of them own their own copy) and Relic went over big.

One friend liked it more than me and picked up his own copy and got the expansion which I don't have yet. Then another friend did the same.

If you have played Talisman you will learn the game quickly but there are some differences.

I recommend my review here for Talisman fans:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1194948/you-talisman-should-...

I recommend for your 1st game just use the basic ending. Also I have played with the expansion twice now, and would recommend not using the new Nemesis characters. Though you certainly can throw in the new "adventure" cards. So I recommend learning the game before using all of the expansion, but you can definitely use some of it.

I am still bit of a new player having only played like 4-5 games. But if you have read the forum threads on Relic and its expansion, you should have a good heads up on some of the bumps of the game.

Many of your comments and feedback from other forum posts is why I bought this game. I have been eyeing the current edition of Talisman for a while, but all of the expansions discouraged me. Then I read about Relic and the consensus seemed to be the same - players who love Talisman love Relic even better. But not in the sense that Relic replaces Talisman - just that it had a good experience based on the Talisman system.

Another influence in my decision is the removal of many of the spite mechanics. I often play games with my daughters and one in particular is easy to upset with spite mechanics. We play a lot of cooperative games because of this, easier to work together then do things against each other. In Relic you are competing, but as a race and not a fight.

I have roughly another 1-2 weeks to wait as it was backordered, will post my experiences as I get to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. But there are differing opinions by Talisman fans on this game. Some like it more, and they are very vocal about it being superior.

I do not think it is superior, but different. I could be convinced the mechanics are better, but to me that doesn't make a game better.

Some may say the board is more beautiful, but again that doesn't make the game better.

Both do help a game and can make or break a game.

I like this game more and more as I play it, but do not see this being better than Talisman nor even in my top 3 games.

Let me make a defense and stance of Talisman 4th edition. It is very customizable. However, this mean your gaming friends will also probably desire Talisman to be played differently, and this is my biggest problem. So we all make some concessions, and 3 of us have our own copies.

Some of the expansions are going to be better than others, and this varies by opinion in most cases, though there are some fan favorites that a majority agree on like the Reaper expansion.

House rules and variants can help Talisman a lot, but if someone doesn't like Talisman nothing is gonna change that and house rules can be hated by some players. But if you want to enjoy Talisman and the rules bug you, then you have to bend it.

Bloodmoon, effects Talisman a lot, and I keep finding ways to vary it and make it better.

Well this is a Relic forum so I don't want to go off track too much. Back to some comparisons though.

Theme. For some reason Talisman oozes with more theme for me than Relic.

Theme, nostalgia, and just old school gaming, make Talisman better than Relic for me. 4th edition mechanics and game play have fine tuned Talisman, but the thought of fine tuning it with Relic mechanics turns me off. If that happens I probably will buy it, but have the feeling 4th edition would be better than a 5th edition. Sorta how I feel about D&D.

Relic is fun, but it is its own game, for us Talisman fans it has that connection, and a strong one.

Maybe you will like it more, but don't put it up too high on a pedestal because if it fails to deliver your disappointment may be sour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, if you dislike spite and PvP, then you will probably not want to add all of the expansion to Relic. As the Nemesis and PvP are added. There are also equipment cards that make you available for attack if you use them, even by other "good" players.

Although in our games attacking each other by the use of this equipment is rare, in fact it may not have even happened, but it may have happened once or twice.

Of coarse you can add these items and house rule against their making PvP possible...

Relic: Nemesis is one of those kinds of game expansions where you don't have to add all of it. I have not only had such expansions from Talisman but another game I play: Bang!

So don't be afraid to pick and choose what to add. Again I recommend just adding the "adventure" cards and equipment cards and such. I can't remember but if there are "good" characters in that expansion, you can add them too. So basically don't add the Nemesis or the PvP.

A reminder I don't own this expansion yet, though I have played it twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played Relic and Nemesis extensively. First few games I would recommend playing just the base game. Then, once you feel comfortable with the mechanics (which can be different enough to trip up a Talisman player) add in the expansion. The Nemesi ("Evil") characters I would only use in a 3+ player game though you can use the expansion without using them - in fact one of the players (or 2 in a 6+ game) must want to play a nemesis- no one is forced to play the bad guys- the game does become quicker as it adds a sense of urgency to reaching the centre before the bad guys achieve their goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice for a first game is to use the mystery beyond scenario, Ultramarine captain would be a good first character, rogue trader is easy to get the hang of and Ogryn is bullet proof. Draw 2 missions and select one at the start, hopefully it will be possible in the outer tier. Keep all cards face up so everyone can look at them and discuss. As long as the warp rift is closed you all win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.