Popular Tags: [View All]
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've reached the end of mission one. Or at least I assume it's the end. I have incapacitated all the Germans that I have encountered without incurring any loss. In so doing I have accrued 8 VP for the activation of seven Germans and stand to gain 4 VP if I trigger the game end by ascending the heights. That would give me 12 VP in total but, unfortunately, I need 13 to win. The only way that I could have earned more VP would have been by dragging the incapacitated US soldier that I found to the safety of one of the buildings. Unfortunately he died before I could get him there.

I've done some "patrols". i.e. Wandered aimlessly hoping to trigger some more activations (there are two that I've still not crossed off) but that is starting to feel a bit silly.

Do I just go to Mission Two with a rather annoying defeat? Or do I have other options?

What normally happens in a Campaign if you lose a mission? Do you carry on or do you replay it? The rules aren't clear on that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:

What normally happens in a Campaign if you lose a mission? Do you carry on or do you replay it? The rules aren't clear on that point.

You have to carry on or start a new campaign. If you lose you have less points for the next mission.
In a campaign you never play a mission more than one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, it's been a while since I've played Mission 1, but it sounds like you might have missed a Condition change during the game.

Some of the victory conditions in the scenarios are tough, but one casualty being the difference between victory and defeat doesn't sound right to me. I've played missions in the past and missed condition changes and it screws up the mission with missed sightings and the inability to even get the victory points need for a win.

I'd recommend starting over; either run through it the same way you did before (once you activate a new German, it can change the complexion of the mission), try starting from a different entry point, or change your route to the village a little. The game is varied enough that it won't be Groundhog. Activation checks, casualties, and condition changes change things up a bit.

HTH

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Doug. But I didn't miss a condition change. I was on condition 3 (of 4) from the moment I encountered my first German. I didn't even have all of my soldiers on the map. I switched to condition 4 on the only occasion that I was told to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
There IS a certain German that gains you two extra VPs if you capture him. Did you just kill him off?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
German officer, +1 VP for activation, +2 VP if he's captured.

Also, there is an event that occurs which I was never able to explore fully before it went away.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a fighter plane the crashes, but I was never able to get to it to find out what's there. There might be a pilot or something you could find. Again, I've never gotten to it before it exploded, so don't know.

I think, especially for a campaign, it might be one of those instances where YOU won the battle but lost the war on that one.

I, too, felt a little silly walking around out in the open just to see if there were any more enemies to pop up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hill
msg tools
mb
Exact same situation for me. Yes, the capture of the officer can help, but as stated above, two sightings were unfindable, or non-triggerable within reason. So any potential VP from them went unawarded.
Wander, wander...all over the map. Seems like many have had this trouble despite playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.