ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
Played the game tonight, one of the Mirkwood adventures.

Sadly it really wrecked the theme and flavor of the current mission when Steward of Gondor came up, and was played on Bilbo.

Now I'm thinking of installing a house rule, saying that the card Steward of the Gondor may only be attached to a hero with the Steward keyword (ie only ever to Denethor)

I know that the game is hard enough with just the core set (and only a single copy of it) but really dont like at all playing with the Steward of Gondor card, since while it is very powerful, probably crucial, it feels so wrong in terms of theme and flavour.

So. do you think it's too much of a handicap to limit the card to be playable to Denethor only?

Or do you think it would be better, as I have also contemplated to do, to just limit the deck to a single copy of the card (simply putting away the other copy). that will make the card see less play and thus more seldom mess up the theme and story. Plus it also means I do not have to come up with that house rule.

Ps. I have the core set ( a single copy) and a few of the Mirkwood adventures. Not planning on getting any more, as the game is complex enough as it is.

EDIT: after many years, dusted this game off and came up with the perfect solution: in photoshop, changed the card name to "Servant of Gondor" and changed the amount of resources gained from 2 to 1. This way I get around any problematic thematic errors, as anyone, even a Dwarf or Noldor elf etc, can be a Servant of Gondor. Plus, now the card is not at all as uber-powerful as before. Makes it a lot more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's too much of a handicap, but whatever floats your boat. There's nothing saying you have to include it in your deck.

Thematically, I think of it as having the connections and resources of the Steward of Gondor supporting you. Denethor is sponsoring the hero, if you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Tubarush wrote:
Thematically, I think of it as having the connections and resources of the Steward of Gondor supporting you. Denethor is sponsoring the hero, if you will.

That one works. Alternatively you could mentally autocorrect it to "generic title of nobility, wealth or influence", or even context-sensitively mentally reflavor it in a more concrete fashion depending on who's the target (Steward of Erebor? Yeah yeah they don't have Stewards, but King under the Mountain is already taken ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wish it had been printed along the lines of:

"Steward of Gondor. 2 cost leadership attachment. Title. Attach to a Hero. Attached hero gains the Gondor trait. Action: Exhaust SoG to add 1 resource to attached hero's resource pool. If attached hero has the printed Gondor trait, add 2 resources instead."

For me, the card would then be more thematically acceptable, but as time passes we'll have more resource acceleration options anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simmons
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like to see it with "Attach to a hero with Gondor trait"

That would sufficiently limit its use. Summarily, they should have more trait specific resource acceleration cards. For example, I would like to see O'Lorien be played Noldor or Silvan only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a thematic issue you are having, then it seems the better approach to put a thematic fix to it, rather than limiting to 1 copy per deck. The latter would also be a rule precedent (as far as I remember none of the cards in LotR have "limit one per deck" type properties, but I may be wrong).

I like what others have suggested about limiting to Gondor trait.

You could also limit it to Denethor, Faramir and Boromir to make it a bit more powerful, but keep it thematic. For both Faramir and Boromir though, you'll have to go beyond the Core Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
(as far as I remember none of the cards in LotR have "limit one per deck" type properties, but I may be wrong).

There are one or two, but they're not common and it's printed right on the card. Black Arrow (from the second Hobbit box) and Path of Need are the two I can think of off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:
I personally wish it had been printed along the lines of:

"Steward of Gondor. 2 cost leadership attachment. Title. Attach to a Hero. Attached hero gains the Gondor trait. Action: Exhaust SoG to add 1 resource to attached hero's resource pool. If attached hero has the printed Gondor trait, add 2 resources instead."

For me, the card would then be more thematically acceptable, but as time passes we'll have more resource acceleration options anyways.

I agree and have no doubt that it would be something similar if the card were made at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've built many a Gondor in which I forced myself to only play Steward of Gondor on Denethor and it proves to a pretty powerful healing machine when paired with Warden of Healing: "Action: Exhaust Warden of Healing to heal 1 damage on up to 2 different characters. Then, you may pay 2 Lore resources to ready Warden of Healing."

While it's fun to limit it to Denethor, I've never found the card to be too powerful and love the flexibility if offers certain decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.