Subject: Deployment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
The more I think I understand the rules the more I feel like I don't have a clue about them.

When I was going over the rules again today I came across this on page 10, section 10.2

During a turn with
no Offensive there will be no Battles so no need to
deploy counters on the map. Even if you have a series
of Turns where you see combat on the same map, you
will redeploy your forces on the map each time (but
for Minefields, see 15.3.2).

Does this mean, at the end of every turn you have to redeploy to, basically, your starting positions on the map? I didn't catch this the first time (first dozen, more like it) through the rules.

Ahh, I think I'm getting it. By not continuing the offensive units move back to their starting front, but can redeploy to towns they captured on prev turns. is that right?

I'm finding these rules to be a little difficult, it's not a hard/ difficult game, but the rules are not as clear as they could be, at least for me. I have questions about tobruk, deployment, continuation, malta, and a bunch more.
I had intended this as an intro game for a buddy of mine, but I think I'm going to start him on Red Winter first, then move to this.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes after each Game-turn you will redeploy your forces. Do not forget that turns represent one or two months of time, so within that game scale you have ample time to make some redeployments before the next offensive, especially since you'll often see lulls of many game-turns while players accumulate supplies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.
Am I right in saying that during deployment you can set up anywhere on a road or trail, no matter how far from the friendly hex side? capturing towns along the way, as long as you are the initiative player?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ca_squires wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Am I right in saying that during deployment you can set up anywhere on a road or trail, no matter how far from the friendly hex side? capturing towns along the way, as long as you are the initiative player?

Chris

Yes, or next to the road or trail.

So if the non-initiative players deploys farther away, you can advance and deploy next to the nex defensive lines. of course he could leave bihind a small delay force to stop you from deploying too far away, too; depending on the map and initial front lines, this ploy might work or not.

its explained in the blue boxed comments of The set-up rules if I remember well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
This evening I set up OP:Compass again and gave it another whirl.
I've got a few more questions. I know that the answers are present in the rulebook/play book, but I'm still getting used to the wording, so I hope you'll continue to humour me.

Can you set up in a city? initiative player in both friendly and enemy and non-initiative in friendly only? I'm pretty sure this is yes, but obviously I've got doubts.

AAC: if an infantry and a Mechanized are stacked together and they AAC, can the Mech get the bonus move, leaving behind the inf in the first hex? I think so.

Retreat: retreat 3 hexes with no zig zagging. is the requirement 3 hexes between the current hex and the battle hex? I think so

So far at the end of turn 2, the allies have gained control of the first 2 maps, and are about to go after Beda Fomm on map 2. The Italians managed to hold them off for quite a while, taking advantage of retreat results that weren't blocked by eZoC's.

Now that I'm starting to see more of the game unfold, alot of questions are answering themselves, plus I'm starting to see some of the great features this game has.
making sure you don't get surrounded or choked out is major, plus careful use of the CB markers is required.

Thanks for your time and patience (assumed!!), Carl. I think I will be teaching my buddy this one soon after all.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can set-up in a city or town.

AAC: Yes the infantry stays behind when advancing.

If you retreat 3 hexes, this will put 2 hexes between you and the starting hex since you'll have moved 3 hexes. If you retreat one hex you are adjacent to the starting hex so no hex in-between.

Don't forget that the first few turns are more of a learning scenario than anything else (the Italians don't stand much of a chance against a competent British). the game really start to kick off after Rommel enters and the British units come back from Greece. meeple

The game is not that complex, but there are a lot of new concepts in it. Most wargames seem "simple" to experienced players as they share quite a few things in common, this one has more stuff that is different. Once you grab the basics it's quite fast-playing and simple. Especially since you do not have a lot of counters on the map.

There will be some new optional counters and two extra rules in the upcoming GMT C3i issue:

- New way of dealing with Malta with extra counters added.
- New "Breakthrough Combat" counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.