Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45» Forums » General

Subject: SUGGESTIONS FOR SILENT VICTORY rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike morton

Oklahoma
msg tools
mb
SILENT HUNTER IS A GREAT GAME THAT I HAVE PLAYED QUIT OFTEN.HERE ARE A COUPLE OF SUGGESTIONS THAT I HOPE YOU WILL INCORPORATE INTO SILENT VICTORY.

1.DONT MAKE US ROLL FOR EVERY SHIP OR CONVOY ENCOUNTER.HAVE CHITS FOR ALL MERCHANT SHIPS THAT CAN BE DRAWN FROM A CUP.I MADE MY OWN AND IT SAVES ALOTTTTTT OF DIE ROLLING IN A DIE ROLLING INTENSIVE GAME.MAKE THEM DOUBLE SIDED AND YOU CAN PUT 300 SHIPS ON 150 COUNTERS.ILL GLADLY PAY THE PRICE.

2.CAPITAL SHIPS ARE WAY TO EASY TO SINK!IF YOU JUST DAMAGE THEM THEY ARE AS GOOD AS SUNK.IVE SUNK ALOT AND JUST ABOUT ALL WHERE ON FOLLOW UP ATTACKS.SINCE SILENT HUNTER IS A GAME OF "NORMS" I REALLY CANT THINK OF ANY CAPITAL SHIP THAT WAS SUNK AFTER BEING DAMAGED AND CHASED:ATLANTIC OR PACIFIC.IF THERE WAS IT WAS THE EXCEPTION NOT THE NORM.A GOOD RULE CHANGE IS YOU CANT FOLLOW A CAPITAL SHIP UNLESS IT RECEIVES 1 LESS THAN WHAT IS NEEDED TO SINK IT.

THANKS,LOOKING FORWARD TO MY GATO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you write your post on the Enigma?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike morton

Oklahoma
msg tools
mb
LOL,IVE EDITED IT A FEW TIMES.WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to get a device that can handle proper upper and lower case ;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike morton

Oklahoma
msg tools
mb
WHY?DO YOU THINK IM YELLING AT YOU.GEEZ,CANT YOU MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT THE SUBJECT RATHER THAN WHINING ABOUT CAP LOCKS? would this make you happy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why do you write everything in capital letters?
That`s awefull to read....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your second suggestion about sinking Capital Ships;I found it hard enough as it is too sink Capital Ships in The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 you seem to have much more luck than me in downing these big boys,what's your secret.There is a guy that made all the merchant ships that are in the game of the Hunters(quite nice art work on each counter),you can find it in the files section of that site(and yes drawing these ships instead of rolling the dice is sure better---my games go much faster now)I also for the Hunters made about 70% of all Uboat Commanders pics and the uboat logos;I also done this for Silent Victory,now I'm just waiting for the game.Hey,guy,caps on off who cares,as long as your sinking ships and having fun,what else is there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike morton

Oklahoma
msg tools
mb
you seem to have much more luck than me in downing these big boys,what's your secret.

no secret,if you can just damage them you can follow them with out a die roll,its automatic.unless bad luck strikes you will eventually sink them.

i made my own counters.i would rather have them provided in the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

Well, just a few comments on SV for now:

1. Artwork continues - looking gorgeous. Fortunately Ian is feeling more chipper nowadays; at least, it looks that way from his artwork! Counters are progressing nicely.

2. You will find capital ships a bit tougher in Silent Victory. Damage ranges from 5 to 7 hit points, AND about half of them are "fast" which means you get a -1 to hit modifier against them (typically speaking, these are the guys capable of going 28+ knots). So less torpedoes will probably hit, and some of the bigger guys can take 7. So...yeah. A bit tougher

3. There's over 700 ship targets in SV. Not sure we'll be able to do single target chits, although it's a great idea for the hard core types out there

Take care,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Heya,

3. There's over 700 ship targets in SV. Not sure we'll be able to do single target chits, although it's a great idea for the hard core types out there

Take care,
Greg

And I hate to think what it'd do to the price. Bearing in mind the target ship counters are now .75" by .5", we're currently looking at half a sheet to get all the targets in the game (plus the half inch sheet). At 700+ targets that'd be running at 13-14 full sheets.

"We're going to need a bigger box".

And before anybody says "cardboard isn't that expensive" I'm thinking of shipping costs (extra weight), and time to layout and proof that layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.