Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameGeek is proud to announce a new gaming convention! Once a year is just not enough.

This is in addition to the previously announced BGG@SEA

Some details now: (more to come)
Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015.
Same location: Hyatt Regency DFW (it's just easier logistically)
Discount for active-duty military and veterans
Family-friendly! Kids of all ages welcome!

We're not ready to take registrations yet - that will go live in a couple of weeks. But the good news is the Hyatt is ready to take hotel reservations:
http://bit.ly/bggfam2015hotel

Make yours now because that seems to be the first thing to sell out recently. It's also one way we'll track interest in the new event so we know how to plan things logistically. Another way is this poll:

Poll
Yes, I'm excited for BGG♥FAM! My registration will include these demographics: (ages as of Memorial Day, 2015)
  1 2 3 4 5 6
Adults (18+)
Teens (13-17)
Youth (8-12)
Kids (4-7)
Young'uns (0-3)
      375 answers
Poll created by CaptainQwyx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Idea Jeff.. We will be there!! and this on top:

Discount for active-duty military and veterans

Room booked for the weekend!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just booked my room for me my wife and my son. This is really exciting, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hough
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fantastic idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized this is right before the end of the school year for many places. I hope lots of people can make it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It isn't explicitly stated, so I will ask directly: Is the idea of this to be a more "family-friendly" version of BGG.CON?
Because I can see some people really being into that, and some people being really not into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excellent. I hope this becomes a thing! I won't be able to make it this year because my youngest youngun will only be a few weeks old, but I'll make sure to not have any children in April 2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
It isn't explicitly stated, so I will ask directly: Is the idea of this to be a more "family-friendly" version of BGG.CON?
Because I can see some people really being into that, and some people being really not into that.

In a nutshell, yes. And yes we know some are all for it and some will not be. This announcement changes nothing about BGG.CON in November each year. That show has all the same policies in place that exist now (e.g. no one under 12).

However, it is not a show for only families. It is a BGG convention where you can bring your family, but that's certainly not required. It is another BGG convention, focused on open gaming, where you can come and have a great time as long as your personal definition of a great time is not impacted by the presence of children.

We do have plans for kid's spaces, adults-with-kids spaces, and teen-and-up-only spaces. Specifics will be driven by how many people sign-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of discounted "single day" attendee passes, or... a location thats not Dallas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Stauffer
United States
Waxahachie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

In a nutshell, yes. And yes we know some are all for it and some will not be. This announcement changes nothing about BGG.CON in November each year. That show has all the same policies in place that exist now (e.g. no one under 12).

However, it is not a show for only families. It is a BGG convention where you can bring your family, but that's certainly not required. It is another BGG convention, focused on open gaming, where you can come and have a great time as long as your personal definition of a great time is not impacted by the presence of children.

We do have plans for kid's spaces, adults-with-kids spaces, and teen-and-up-only spaces. Specifics will be driven by how many people sign-up.

Jeff, this is great news! Big thanks for doing this. Our room is booked and we are ready to sign up as soon as the site is ready to accept registrations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mitchell

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And room reserved.. and we're mostly local
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this going to have vendors and everytuing just like bgg without the age restrictions essentially?

Or is this more planned to be just open gaming with some scheduled family oriented events?

Also price is this going to cost as much as bgg or will it be cheaper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Roughly what attendance are you aiming for? (Same as BGGCON, half the size, double the size, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owen
United States
Essexville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty excited about moving to the Dallas area very soon. Should be just in time for this con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Memorial Day, we have a local convention, http://kublacon.com. I'll continue to attend locally. One of these days I'll try to make it for BGG Con in November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KublaCon isn't the only other gone going on Memorial Day weekend, and it is the family friendly convention I'll be attending. But I guess the more BGG cons happening the better the odds I will be able to make one someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we have Gamex 2015 (one of the thrice-yearly Strategicons http://www.strategicon.net) that weekend here in Southern California as well.

Thankfully, there are plenty of gamers to attend them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait!

My son was so crushed that he has to wait until he's 12 to come with us... he will be 7 next April.

Please work out a way for us to temporarily lend our extensive collection of kid games to the library for the weekend and to get them back at the end.

Thanks
JAZ
ETA: Hotel room booked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no kids, and may not make the new con, but I don't have nearly enough thumbs to give to this. While I enjoy BGG.CON just the way it is, I do feel for the folks who want to bring their families.

I can't imagine where y'all are gonna find the energy to run 3 cons in 2015, but I applaud you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah,I was kind of surprised it was Memorial Day weekend instead of just a few weeks later when kids would be out of school and there might be other options for travel than flying on a holiday weekend. Then your post reminded me that my nephew's summer used to start in May when my brothers family lived down in Tenn. and Miss. Does school end in Texas that early too?
It would be affordable for us if we could make it part of a summer road trip. I imagine for a lot of northern families teens will be coming up on final exams about then. But then I suppose you've got to take into account that the majority still come from the local region.

In any event, I'm glad to see any event that gets more gamers together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the camp that asks "why family?" To me, that would be really annoying. (I also don't have any kids, so you know where I'm coming from). Why the necessity of adding the "family friendly" thing (other than it being held in family-friendly Texas)? shake Why not just another plain ole BGGcon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there already is a BGG.CON. It's held in November every year. Many BGGers have expressed interest in a convention that is open to children. Rather than changing BGG.CON they have opted to start a separate convention that does allow children.

Makes sense to me.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Is the idea of this to be a more "family-friendly" version of BGG.CON?

It's during the school year. I think that gives you your answer.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kravetz
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely sure if we can actually go, but I went ahead and booked a room.

I have 2 kids 4yrs and 8yrs. I'm not entirely sure I would actually want to bring them(especially the 4yr old). However just the fact this is on Memorial Day weekend makes this do-able for us vs the normal convention. The only school day this overlaps onto is the Friday, whereas the regular con has 3 days of overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I'd be interested in budget-friendlier options for lodging that are within easy driving distance or possibly other airport hotels??

There are other hotels you just have look for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.