Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Adams
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least "from a distance", this game looks similar to Up Front -- units are individual soldiers, card-driven mechanic. There's differences too -- Warfighter is modern, UF is WWII; Warfighter is players working together on a mission (I think); players fight each other in UF.

But if someone liked UF, would they find Warfighter a pretty decent variant on the concept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not the Up Front expert you want to answer this question, since I haven't played Up Front in decades. But while you are waiting for that expert, I can offer this:

Both are excellent and have great feel. Overall, I remember Up Front being more detailed in its content. I seem to recall more statistics and rules all the way around.

Sorry; that's the best I got!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I just posted a question asking how it compared to Space Hulk: Death Angel, which strikes me as much closer to the mark. Up Front would compare much more closely to another DVG design, Frontline: D-Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Funny, I just posted a question asking how it compared to Space Hulk: Death Angel, which strikes me as much closer to the mark. Up Front would compare much more closely to another DVG design, Frontline: D-Day.

Sean, I just answered your question on the other thread and oddly enough...

drkrash wrote:

Both are excellent and have great feel. Overall, I remember Up Front being more detailed in its content. I seem to recall more statistics and rules all the way around.

Sorry; that's the best I got!

is a slightly more concise version of the answer I gave over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
While it may be mechanically dissimilar, Warfighter is definitely my replacement for UpFront.

This is especially considering

a.) Dan is working on a WWII version.

b.) We will NEVER see the new release of UpFront from those ripoff scumbags RikTor.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
While it may be mechanically dissimilar, Warfighter is definitely my replacement for UpFront.

This is especially considering

a.) Dan is working on a WWII version.

b.) We will NEVER see the new release of UpFront from those ripoff scumbags RikTor.shake

Well, I would say you are scratching very different itches. As I said, Frontline D-Day is well worth looking at if you want an Up Front-like experience. The game doesn't seem to have taken off, and I don't think it's as good as Up Front, but it has some very nice qualities to it. Also, you have an actual competitive two player game instead of just a solo game.

As for UF, I used Arts Cow to reprint my cards and soldiers, so I don't really need the new release. (I could use some new counters, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying not to sound flippant but they both have cards to represent terrain and equipment and soldiers. They both come in a box and are fun to play - with tension created by the situation and in-hand resources. They are turn based. The rest is pretty much different.

Up Front is not:

Cooperative,

In print,

"Linear" in its game play.

Playable by one person (with any "joy" - it is a two-player game).

I prefer Up Front but like Warfighter as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree with most of the above.

I feel like that play is pretty dissimilar. Warfighter is, as stated above, linear in it's movement and definitely has a beginning Middle & End to the game play. In this sense it may be more closely related to the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Boardgames than anything else. Up Front has more of a feel of maneuver and positioning. Hand management is very important but in significantly different ways. Warfighter has the entire selection and equipping aspect which is totally absent from Up Front and recalls the Leader games from DVG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Adams
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, a summary: while both are card based games focused on individual soldiers, the similarit doesn't extend far beyond that. Both are good games, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.