Hide
2 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt sealing off the basement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nynx Faylinn
msg tools
I have a question about how to deal with basements that end up being sealed off during a haunt reveal.

So what happened was we had a basement with four tiles connected to the basement landing: two dead end tiles (the vault and crypt); the stairs, which I'm assuming is also a dead end at least as far as basement tiles are concerned (see question at the bottom of my post); and then the gymnasium, which is a one way passage. Then the haunt occurs: haunt #9. It says to add the pentagram chamber to the basement. We add it to the open end of the gymnasium because that was the only place it could go, but, being a dead-end tile, the chamber essentially locked the basement from further basement tile placement. I didn't realize this problem until I became the traitor almost immediately and there was no way for me to discover and place any of the three basement tiles I needed to win the game.

The rules and errata specify that you can't place a tile that will block any more of those floor tiles from being placed. Specifically, "You may not play a tile in such a way that it completely seals off a level. If a tile could only be played in such a way that a level would be sealed off with no free doorways left, then discard that tile and draw new ones until you draw one that leaves a free doorway. If all the undrawn rooms for a level would seal the level off, then the person whose turn it is may rearrange the level until there are more free doorways. The Mystic Elevator would count as sealing a level off, even though it might subsequently move away. If a roll on the Mystic Elevator would cause it to move to a level that would be sealed off, then the elevator does not move."

So my question is how would you deal with having to add a specific tile because the haunt has occurred but there is no possible way to reorganize the floor so it won't be completely sealed off? Would you just keep drawing and placing basement tiles until you could place the needed haunt tile without sealing off the basement or would search the tile deck for one tile that didn't seal off the basement and place only that one tile before attaching the needed haunt tile? Or something completely different? Thanks.

Also, does the "Stairs from the Basement" basically act as a dead end for basement tiles (you can't put any on the side that says "Leads to and from Foyer"). I've always assumed this was the case, even though there's a yellow door on that side, but that caused the basement to unexpandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd say draw until you find a basement tile with 3+ exits, then attach the pentagram chamber to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.