Martin Knight
Australia
Wollongong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Knight by nature
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dread Curse today. A nice little screw your nieghbour game from Smirk and Dagger. Everything was going nicely until the final round when my 10 year old son, who had received the Black Spot thus knocking him out of the game, played a card that destroyed everybody else's cards. I was shocked. My other son and his little sister had to discard their cards and my nextdoornieghbourson, won the game, easily. When I counted up the gold cost of the cards discarded, my youngest daughter would have scrapped in with a victory. (I was never in the running, who can pass up the opportunity to steal gold from Dad?)
That stupid card ruined an otherwise fun game. So we took the card upstairs and set it on fire. We watched it burn, cleaned up the mess before mum got home and all now look forward to playing again. This time without the game breaking, king making, ill conceived (now destroyed) card discarding card.
Have there been other cards that have been destroyed to make your game better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you played a screw your neighbor game and got all bent out of shape when the game went as intended? surprise Really, when the company's name is Smirk and Dagger, what do you expect?

I don't approve of destroying game pieces, especially setting them on fire. It's an uncomfortable reminder of book-burning. "Let this troublesome object never oppress anyone ever again!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always keep those game pieces. Maybe sometime I can make a variant with it or I read about it on BGG that I'm doing it wrong... Or you can always house-rule something on it.

But when I played Machi Koro earlier this week I wanted to just throw away a few cards because I couldn't understand why they existed. But then I read on BGG that it was a misprint and I'm happy I didn't have to look in the trash to get it back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Knight
Australia
Wollongong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Knight by nature
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
So you played a screw your neighbor game and got all bent out of shape when the game went as intended? surprise Really, when the company's name is Smirk and Dagger, what do you expect?

I don't approve of destroying game pieces, especially setting them on fire. It's an uncomfortable reminder of book-burning. "Let this troublesome object never oppress anyone ever again!"

That is hilarious! Can't say I have ever been compared to the Nazi party before, let alone their penchant for burning books! My friends are going to love that comment.

And I do like Smirk and Dager games. Love Cut Throat Caverns and have every intention of buying Student Bodies when it comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin13knight wrote:
jumbit wrote:

That is hilarious! Can't say I have ever been compared to the Nazi party before, let alone their penchant for burning books! My friends are going to love that comment.

Who said anything about Godwinning the thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
So you played a screw your neighbor game and got all bent out of shape when the game went as intended? :surprise: Really, when the company's name is Smirk and Dagger, what do you expect?

I would be nastier then this....but won't be.

I would never do this to a game. You may well now find that the game is seriously broken (after all you have no removed what was a vital component). Also was the card at fault, or did you misunderstand how it is supposed to be played?

I have removed the odd card (or added the odd card) where I have felt game balance need it, but I have always kept the cards just in case the mod does not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin13knight wrote:
jumbit wrote:
So you played a screw your neighbor game and got all bent out of shape when the game went as intended? :surprise: Really, when the company's name is Smirk and Dagger, what do you expect?

And I do like Smirk and Dager games. Love Cut Throat Caverns and have every intention of buying Student Bodies when it comes out.
Not only the Nazi's burn books, but I would agree that was unnecessarily hyperbolic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has just read this over my shoulder, she is a school teacher. Her reaction was interesting.

"So next time a game doesn't go their way at school will they ask to burn that as well, how will the parent feel then"

For reference she teaches 5 years olds so was coming at it from that perspective. The principle however seems to me to be that it does set something of a less than ideal life lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin13knight wrote:
when my 10 year old son, ... played a card that destroyed everybody else's cards. I was shocked.

Was your problem with this:
A) you do not allow kingmaking in competitive games
B) your son was being a dick to other players

Yeah, burning the game is the proper way to fix these for the future. Not.

C) you did not like the game and used this as an excuse to get rid of it.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not destroy anything on purpose because I don't like it. Give the game away as a whole? Yes. Take the cards out that seem weird? Sure. But destroy something because I might not like it? Not really.

I also agree with some others here that it might send weird signals to the kids in this case.
For once setting something on fire because you don't happen to like it seems odd to me, but also I'd feel weird as the boy from next door when a family goes and burns the parts of a game that are apparently so "unfair and broken" that they made me win and not their own daughter.

It does not sound like that was the intention, but to me it kind of sends a weird message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
I'd feel weird as the boy from next door when a family goes and burns the parts of a game that are apparently so "unfair and broken" that they made me win and not their own daughter.

It does not sound like that was the intention, but to me it kind of sends a weird message.
Yeah that's exactly what I thought when I read this too. It sends a "not-good sportsmanship" message, and there were children involved.

Other than that it doesn't bother me if someone wants to burn or otherwise discard part of their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually ashamed to admit I did this once to a game, it was only once, and I have never wanted to or ever even thought about doing this to another game.

I admit it was hard to do but Risk Legacy had me burning cards. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Rubinelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Viking Funeral is probably the only game that would make me burn cards (note the designer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I am actually ashamed to admit I did this once to a game, it was only once, and I have never wanted to or ever even thought about doing this to another game.

I came here to talk Risk Legacy. I watched a friend gleefully shred a card with 5 coins on it when he win a game. Such joy never before seen at our table. (Take that Great Britian card), but that is within the bounds of the game.

Outside that, I might take a card out or adjust a deck in some way. But destroying a card is a no no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pete (enjoyed this card when Unglued came out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
Grumsh wrote:

I came here to talk Risk Legacy. I watched a friend gleefully shred a card with 5 coins on it when he win a game. Such joy never before seen at our table. (Take that Great Britian card), but that is within the bounds of the game.

Outside that, I might take a card out or adjust a deck in some way. But destroying a card is a no no.

Also, "wanted to" in the title I missed. I have wanted to destroy a lot of cards in Munchkin and games like that. Enough so, that I just sold them and have decided not to play them.

In addition, my girlfriend is a lot more competitive than she would claim so when I got Through the Ages I immediately took out the raids and wars to teach it to her. They are still in the box just in case, but we like the peaceful game we have played a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thrown games in the garbage before, so I'm not going to get bent out of shape over someone burning a card. The only thing that would make me hesitate was if I was ever planning on reselling the game, but I imagine that game doesn't have a lot of resell value to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Geyer
United States
East Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Eddies in the space-time continuum!
badge
Ah, is he?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Timeline game franchise but the latest edition, American History, really is disappointing.

See this thread: Duplicates & Errors

Some of those are just embarrassing -- but none more so than the Ford elected card when they included Nixon Resigning & Watergate as two other cards, with with the correct dates.

I removed the cards with blatant errors from the game but thought twice about destroying them --- decided when my daughter was older they would make for a good teachable moment. So for now, they will live out-of-sight, underneath the insert in the game tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more likely to tuck the card under the box insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I've thrown games in the garbage before, so I'm not going to get bent out of shape over someone burning a card. The only thing that would make me hesitate was if I was ever planning on reselling the game, but I imagine that game doesn't have a lot of resell value to begin with.
I have thrown a couple of games out as crap, but not because (in essence) I lost (hell zombies!!! is a great example of a game that needs (to my mind) cards removed or altered, but only because by the end we were desperate for any player to win (and yes we did start to play it cooperatively just to end it)). It is (as other have said) that faint whiff of bad sportsmanship that I think a lot of people are finding difficult to swallow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wanted to destroy the mandatory quests in LoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've made a house rule that removes Jet Pack from the game for King of Tokyo.

I'm sure there's a few other cards in games that we've all reached consensus on not using, but that one springs to mind. I've never destroyed them, though. We just leave it in the box when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're asking if I've ever destroyed a component to a game I paid money for after seeing it in play for a total of one time, not stopping to consider that maybe the game developer(s) had a very good reason for putting that component in after playtesting?

No. I've never done that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzy Vitale
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
When empty, please refill with tea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
You're asking if I've ever destroyed a component to a game I paid money for after seeing it in play for a total of one time, not stopping to consider that maybe the game developer(s) had a very good reason for putting that component in after playtesting?

No. I've never done that.

Agree!

I have, however, taken "No Event" out of the Age A political deck in Through the Ages because it's so massively disappointing when it comes up. I've heard that TtA is being re-released sometime next year with updates to the game. After 8+ years of "playtesting", the designer feels that the game could use some balancing. So, initial playtesting doesn't catch everything, and if Vlaada Chvatil can admit that, then I'm fine with tossing out the occasional card (but probably never burning...that's so....permanent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Abbot card from Macao. Hate it with a passion. Won't destroy it, but I certainly would have joy in doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.