Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
This past shabbat, my wife and I got talking and she made the wonderful suggestion of playing Risk with my daughter but treating her units as essentially an armed neutral. We then tried it out shabbat afternoon.

Thus the game was in a sense between me and my wife and I won by conquering my wife's holdings. Meanwhile my daughter had control of all of North America in the end.

The reason I'm posting this in the wargames forum is that I view Risk as an abstract-wargame fusion which teaches valuable skills such as estimating odds, minimiing attackable borders, etc. From my point of view, one can become a wargamer without playing Risk but doing so misses out on key conceptual development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's wonderful about your daughter. I started with Risk when I was very young and it lead me from there, through Axis and Allies, into more serious hex-and-counter games. Maybe she'll follow a similar progression or maybe not, but it's great that she's having fun and that together you are starting to enjoy games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I was pondering whether to post a story about my grand daughter and this has given me the window to do so.

Me and my wife look after our granddaughter a few times a week, she is approaching her 3rd birthday soon, in a weeks time to be exact. We were playing with Lego bricks on the floor and her favourite "building" is either a bridge or a tower, so we made the tower.
A few hours later I was sat at the table with my dice and after hearing the shaking of the dice she was intrigued to know what that unusual noise was. She sat upon my knee looking at all these unusual shapes and the rather lovely glassy looking multicoloured dice. She began to stack the 6 sided dice one on top of the other. They probably only ever got to 3 high before they toppled over but then she announced that this was a dice tower. A Dice Tower! She obviously doesn't know what a dice tower is but it sure put a smile on my face.

Kids are wonderful and I generally find that they will play games with their parents but when they reach their teens there are too many distractions, usually of the electronic kind. We play family games at xmas and holiday times but usually that's about the limit. My daughters have now all grown up, one lives too far away and the others have work commitments that usually means one of them at least is working Christmas Day.

Moshe, I think any game with your children is time well spent and your lucky to have a gaming wife too
The problem with kids is, they grow up and often way too fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG you must have a child prodigy, I've tried to get my 6 and 8 year old to play games but unless the game is 10 minutes long they start to muck about and it becomes more stressful than its worth. cha cha chicken is popular with them as it is short and they can beat me at it but even this ends in screaming and tears between them both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. There are a lot of games that, as Elite Gamerz we denigrate now, but that are excellent stepping stones for our young 'uns to get into the hobby. Some games that I used early to get my boys (5 and almost 7) to step in to harder stuff include:

Stratego
Battleship
UNO

Now we're playing Sushi Go!, A House Divided and Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game. Those entry-level games like Risk help set the stage for better stuff later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Ratz
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my niece was about 8 or 9 she said to me "Uncle Doug, I won't attack you in North Africa if you don't attack me in Brazil". I promptly agreed. Her next turn she loaded up the troops and attacked me.

Brought a tear to my eye, I was so proud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.