Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day, I went out of my way, downloaded the whole danged site basically over at IS and also grabbed up all of Greg's files as well.

Took the whole lot, crafted some unified pdf files and had a local printer do them all as colour copies on 8.5x11 labels for the counters, and just black and white for the articles.

Best 50 bucks I have spent on wargaming in a long time.

Just curious if there is anything else out there.

I have not seen any real mention of any other sources and the games two entry locations here didn't even have knowledge of the IS site (which has been around for years).

I'm looking for almost anything to a point. Scenarios, maps, I doubt I need anything more in counters ever again

Just to be clear though, that re make also known as Panzerblitz doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'm interested in sticking with the real thing. Not to mention I'm not interested in an over priced, under cooked game that is likely not in print at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some links that I have bookmarked, that have varying amounts of PB/PL material-

http://gregpanzerblitz.com/

http://www.rainbownerd.com/wargaming/pbstuff.html

http://www.zho.berka.com/rules/war/tank_counter.html

http://grognard.com/titlep.html

http://www.fclarke.com/2014/04/panzerblitz-panzer-leader-aiw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

You should be able to find a link to a couple of hundred PB/PL scenarios on the CSW forum. In an MS Word doc iirc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy updated counters on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I designed Desert Leader and Steppe Leader: two major variants that use the rules and mapboards from The Arab-Israeli Wars.
You might have seen a reference to this on the other sites you looked at - Patrick Storto made a nice set of counters for them.

Desert Leader covers the war in the North African desert 1940-43, and includes 14 scenarios. You will need copies of Arab-Israeli Wars, Panzer Leader, and the Panzer Leader 1940 variant kit to play.

Steppe Leader covers battles on the Manchurian steppe, with seven scenarios ranging from 1938 to 1969. You need copies of Arab-Israeli Wars and Panzerblitz to play.

Finally, one countersheet is included for the new units for both variants.

http://www.islandnet.com/~ltmurnau/text/gamescen.htm
(scroll down a bit)

Brian Train
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys, some of those links appear to have some interesting content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BUKSA

LaGrange Park
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the IS site? Link please?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
GBUK wrote:
What is the IS site? Link please?
Thanks.

http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/IMSTRAT%20P...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
I have all the maps (3 for PB, 4 for PL), plus I think all the scenario cards from both games and the PB rules, (not sure if I have the PL rules original or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you are missing more than half of the maps available to you. Sounds like you also have no idea how much content has escaped your notice.

There was 73 individual download files worth of counters and 153 pages of article and scenario materials at IS and Greg's web page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all this info -- I had no idea. In fact, I've been thinking I need to finally leave the 70's behind and upgrade to Panzer (second edition).

I was also thinking about ditching my bell bottom pants. Maybe I don't have to do either one...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
Thanks for all this info -- I had no idea. In fact, I've been thinking I need to finally leave the 70's behind and upgrade to Panzer (second edition).

I was also thinking about ditching my bell bottom pants. Maybe I don't have to do either one...?

I went down both paths. Panzer series is great and I can't wait for MBT and the expansions. I have the original MBT and IDF from Avalon Hill which got me started on James Day's system.

That being said, I cut my teeth on PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader and to this day still love those games. Thanks so much to everyone involved with Greg's PB site as well as IS's. The content is incredible and has kept PB/PL/AIW well an alive in my library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:

I am a Panzer Leader fan from way back.

However, my interests have changed a bit since then and I am now playing more operational level games.

I have seen Panzer (second edition) on the GMT website and ignored it for ages because the tactical game is not my thing any more.

But....Is it actually a modern version of Panzer Leader? Just wondering. Should I buy it and find a more active, identical player community?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BUKSA

LaGrange Park
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that have printed out maps, are you getting the bottom row intact?
I am printing out the maps in halves, but the QQ and GG rows are getting cut off a bit--tried adjusting the screen shot to "actual size" and "page fit" with same results. Shrinking it to 95% may help, but before I try that and waste more ink, thought I'd ask first.
Prints are not filling entire page, small margin of white remains, so it should print more completely.....
Thanks for any tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps when measured, are 8x11 not 8.5x11 and that might impact the printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BUKSA

LaGrange Park
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. I'll keep playing around with it, should be able to get it to print as shown on screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Catherine the Great wrote:
Then you are missing more than half of the maps available to you. Sounds like you also have no idea how much content has escaped your notice.

Right, I'd misinterpreted your original post. I thought you might be looking for the original maps and stuff, in which case I would have sent them to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope already have all the original stuff. Today just treated myself to print outs of the maps. Had thought of hand drawing copies of the images, and then decided inasmuch as I like to colour, it was a better idea to pay the 12 bucks and get them printed professionally and leave colouring for another day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BUKSA

LaGrange Park
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$12 sounds like a great deal, what type of store?
I've printed off two so far, on my home printer on full sheet label paper, then mounted and trimmed. Could take awhile to get a full set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to a local operation, something on a similar vein to Staples.

I asked for the counters to be done on 8.5x11 labels as I knew I would most definitely not enjoy gluing them on anything.

I have resolved to go and get maybe some 4x8 paneling at the lumber store and then borrow a friend and his table saw and mass produce strips of 5/8 in paneling that I can at my leisure chop into a bajillion 5/8 squares on my chop saw.

I plan to only make the counters I require as I play the scenarios that demand them though. I don't need to make a clone of my ASL collection that badly

I recently processed the maps. I got them printed on ordinary paper but in colour. Cost effective I guess. My method for ending up with boards was actually kinda clever and kinda easy. I had images that needed white trimmed from all four sides. Did that with metal ruler, and cutting board. I suggest watching TV while doing something this boring I then inserted them into full page protectors. I then cut the excess page protector off with particularly sharp scissors resulting in a page protector that is open on one side and one end. I tape the opposing open ends to each other on both sides not the paper map though, just the page protectors.

It results in a really surprisingly functional map. And when in use, I can tape the boards together by taping the page protector and no harm comes to the map.

Only hassle is really no real hassle. I don't plan to fold the maps, so they are on the long side The average wargamer is going to have a bookcase where they can just ditch a stack of maps though. That's where mine will be living.

Took me a few hours start to finish, or a handful of shows on Netflix depending on how you wish to measure the time factor

I'm fairly glad I had it done professional. Printer ink costs too much, your home printer will run out long before you are done, and you will have spent a lot more than the printer is going to charge you.
Sometimes you don't win doing it yourself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find a number of sheets of more modern units, suitable for Arab-Israeli Wars, or Cold War European scenarios at:

http://neatlantagaming.wordpress.com/category/counters/

More modern style counters can be found at:

http://toshachminiatures.com/games.htm

I have a link on a computer back home (I'm on travel) to a site that sells countersets for a wide variety of game varians including many PanzerBlitz/Panzer Leader format countersheets - if you want a myriad of minor powers, and into the Korean War, but I can't remember it. If I think about it when I get back home I'll send you the link.

If you drop me a geekmail as a reminder, I'll do it when I get back.

EDIT: As for mounting the counters and maps, the matting sheets that are used for picture framing are a nice thickness, enexpensive, and relatively easy to work with, especially with a rotary cutter.

EDIT 2: It was Old Soldiers Magazine, and sadly the site is no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY nice, that's what I'm talking about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those wanting to print maps, I've used Staples for printing 4 at a time on matte poster stock. Worked great and only cost $18.49 per poster. Essentially took four 8 X 22 maps and combined them into one image of 32 x 22, then printed onto 36 x 24 and cut them out. Came out $5 per map.

Have to order at least two posters to get the free shipping. Also, if you sign up for ebates you get 2% back on your Staples orders.

You'll want to use this link to get the 50% off poster prints:

http://print.staples.com/posters.aspx?GP=2%2f18%2f2015+3%3a0...

If you go directly through Staples site you only get to $21 per poster. Don't get that one but . . . oh, well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moruya23 wrote:
...I have seen Panzer (second edition) on the GMT website and ignored it for ages because the tactical game is not my thing any more.

But....Is it actually a modern version of Panzer Leader? Just wondering. Should I buy it and find a more active, identical player community?

Panzer is a squad level / individual vehicle tactical wargame.

The Panzer Grenadier system is the effective follow on to PB/PL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.