Hide
9 Posts

Breakthrough: Cambrai» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement and Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schaeffer
msg tools
Howdy, I managed one run of B:C so far. Crushed as the Brits as both sides played every impulse (oops). One other question came up.
1) When moving into a friendly area (e.g. British units into a British controlled area), adjacent to an area with fresh enemy units, is movement cost still 2? The question is whether 'vacant' is only relevant to an enemy controlled area.
Thanks, looks like a great game, looking forward to playing again soon.
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schaeffer
msg tools
This comes up because in the Playbook example (page 6), the british unit that moves into the woods after the successful overrun has spent 4 MP. His option to return to the overrun area is then only 1 MP more. But there is an adjacent fresh unit... Hence my confusion.
Thanks again to anyone with the answer.
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

Movement costs must be paid at all times.

Note rule 11.5.1, however:

"Areas with a triangular Identifer (see 2.1.3) may not be overrun."

Michael Rinella
Designer, Breakthrough: Cambrai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schaeffer
msg tools
Thanks Michael, but I must have not been clear.
(and really enjoying our game so far)

In the playbook, page six, 2nd paragraph (which follows the previous example of a successful overrun with help of a rolling barrage into area 14 (Fontaine Notre Dame), it says, "Each of the four British units in F-N-D expended 2 MF during the impulse's first assault, leaving each with 3MF."
--All clear so far, then

"The 51/153 expends 2 MF to move to La Folie Wood (area 16)."
--This is empty, so no assault. All clear still, then

"The 51/153 could remain in La Folie Wood or spend its last MF and move again (including the option to return to F-N-D."
--This is where I am confused and suspect a typo. Fontaine-Notre-Dame is British controlled and empty of enemy units, but is next to an area that has a fresh unit (Neuville), although there is an assault going on there. I don't see how that last move can be legal.

Better?
Thanks again!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Paul, I agree with your question. I too would like to know the answer to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blayney
Canada
Smiths Cove
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Birdwatcher & Birdeater
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'm going to have a go at this one. I think the 51/153 has the option of returning to Fontaine-Notre-Dame (area 14) with his last 1 remaining M.F. because on page 5 (Step 1: Artillery Barrage) he decides to put a Rolling Barrage marker into Fontaine-Nortre-Dame. This reduces his cost of moving back into area 14 to 1 M.F.

I thinkzombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be an error in the playbook but I'd have to take a detailed look to determine it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LautreSault
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mykel B wrote:
OK, I'm going to have a go at this one. I think the 51/153 has the option of returning to Fontaine-Notre-Dame (area 14) with his last 1 remaining M.F. because on page 5 (Step 1: Artillery Barrage) he decides to put a Rolling Barrage marker into Fontaine-Nortre-Dame. This reduces his cost of moving back into area 14 to 1 M.F.

I thinkzombie

I understand your point but rules say "MF cost to enter area containing enemy units may be reduced by a Rolling Barrage marker in that area."

It contained in the previous assault not anymore, now it's other (and adjacent) unit.

@OP

I agree, the return to Fontaine-Notre-Dame costs 2MP.

If the result of the second assault was a win breaking the german unit, then and only then, it would be 1 MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blayney
Canada
Smiths Cove
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Birdwatcher & Birdeater
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll change my mind on this one. In the rule book, under 11.8 Barrage Lifted and Air Returned it says "After combat resolution remove any Rolling Barrage & Direct Support artillery markers the attacker has placed on the map. So the rolling barrage would no longer be there and it would cost 2MF to move back.

I'm new to this game, so still working my way through the rules. Very enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.