9 Posts

War of Kings» Forums » General

Subject: Favorite Opening Construction Move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Robinson

Alabama
msg tools
Now that several of you have had an opportunity to play, I was wondering what everyone's favorite initial construction sequence looks like? Some opening moves are contingent on the resource generation, but most aren't.

I find myself typically drawn to recruiting an army, building a village, and connecting it with a road for the gold generation. I can't imagine not taking an army. Too much potential for bad things to happen if a Marauder gets dropped next door! I choose the new village ti help diversify my portfolio, haha. Nothing worse than a bad resource roll on the the opening rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I have a game pimping policy and haven't played the game yet......

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat as Team Ski! Busy painting and assembling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Robinson

Alabama
msg tools
Teamski wrote:
Unfortunately, I have a game pimping policy and haven't played the game yet......
-Ski

laugh That cracked me up. You guys are a lot more patient than me. They're looking good, Ski! I cringed a little bit at all that paint on the rug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SethR wrote:
Teamski wrote:
-Ski

laugh That cracked me up. You guys are a lot more patient than me. They're looking good, Ski! I cringed a little bit at all that paint on the rug.

After painting up Battlelore, I can do ANYTHING!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hager
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SethR wrote:

I find myself typically drawn to recruiting an army, building a village, and connecting it with a road for the gold generation. I can't imagine not taking an army. Too much potential for bad things to happen if a Marauder gets dropped next door! I choose the new village ti help diversify my portfolio, haha. Nothing worse than a bad resource roll on the the opening rounds.

My fiancée and I toyed with this a bit and settled on:
- upgrade forward village to town
- build an army

This gives you better resource generation (by 1) and the same gold/AP improvement at less cost. IIRC - you can do this with the base starting resources, regardless of what is rolled. We played with her Dad this weekend (our 4th game now!) and he did the same setup as you then later wished he had gone with a town (can't remember the exact reason why). We've talked about upgrading the capital to a city instead but I don't think the math works out as efficiently as our current start up. The only thing that would make me consider adding a second village instead would be if I didn't find the resources on the forward village favorable. So far that hasn't happened, but I've only played on the summer board. We'll be trying out a 4 player game on the winter board this coming weekend!!

You're spot on about an extra army though - I think anyone would be crazy not to. They offer too many options in terms of expansion and defense to pass on it.

Also - Team Ski - those minis look fantastic!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sirtoyou
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
SethR wrote:
Teamski wrote:
-Ski

After painting up Battlelore, I can do ANYTHING!!!

OMG! You've painted up your entire Battle Lore!!

I am in awe of your commitment lol! I love the game, I have it and all the expansions but have only painted the Creatures and Heros.

Great job and wish you lived closer to be able just to play with thrm :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sirtoyou
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and yes opening construction has to be -

1. Upgrade village to a town(and if possible fortify it with a wall!).
2. Build an Army.

3. Ally with one of your neighbors lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuma Noid
Switzerland
Dachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we played our first game last night. 2 player on the winterboard.
3 kingdoms went with the townupgrade&army and one with a second village and an army (not sure if it also got a new road),

i think the town upgrade is a bit better, not because of gold or resources, but because of the support it gives. two armies out in the field is a good thing (depending on the exploration rolls..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.