Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan blank
msg tools
Hey guys wonder if you could help me out.

I got hit with 6 damage and my Sihedron Medallions reduces 4 damage. Can I use the card? or do I have to discard 6 cards

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it reduces damage, then you can use the card. When else would you use it?

Thus, after playing the card, you suffer only 2 damage (instead of 6) for which you must discard 2 cards. If you have to discard the card in order to use the effect (not just revealing), you effectively discard 3 cards.

However, I am not an expert. So if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an item that reduces damage and you take damage during a check, then it's usable as long as you didn't already play an item during that check. If said item reduces damage by 4, then it'll reduce damage by up to 4, regardless of how much damage you take. If you take 3, it'll only reduce it by 3 to 0 (damage cannot be negative). If you take 6, it'll reduce it by 4 to 2.

Why do you feel you wouldn't be able to use the item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwreschnig wrote:
firedale2002 wrote:
If you have an item that reduces damage and you take damage during a check, then it's usable as long as you didn't already play an item during that check.

The "one card per type per character" restriction is also "per step" not "per check" so you can reduce damage with an item even if you already modified the roll with an item and/or determined your die with an item.

It is per step of an encounter (and attempting the check is one step of the encounter), not step of a check. So you can't play an item to reduce damage from failing a check if you already played an item on that check. And the rule is also mentioned as “per check“ for those situations when checks happen outside of encounters (a check to close a location or to recharge a spell like cure).

RotR Rulebook p11 wrote:
Remember that each player may not play more than 1 card of each type or activate any 1 power more than once during each check.

S&S Rulebook p9 wrote:
A specific card’s power may only be used once per
check or step.

And the game is very careful not to call the parts of a check "steps". Steps refers to the steps of the turn and the steps of an encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.