-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fresh Meadows B&N location is closing December 31st due to their lease being up and the rent being raised too high and every game in the store is marked down by 40% off.

10% more off with B&N membership and coupons do stack including the 15%/20% email coupons which expire today.

Stock is moving fast but there's still plenty of worthwhile top tier titles available.

Tons of awesome books and general geekery on deep discount too. In addition to way more games than I'm going to confess I left with the $100 Stieg Larsson Millenium Trilogy Box Set (Girl With a Dragon Tattoo etc.) for only 8 bucks.

If you're a book buyer before you go nuts realize that 40% off at B&N is not actually a very big deal considering how many they regularly discount by 20-30%. The real steals are the tables of books you'll see all over the store (not just the clearance tables) that have "bargain books" stickers with an already discounted price on them. An additional 40% more off that means discounts as deep as 90% off list. Fantastic opportunity to put a major dent in your gift buying for the season.

But back to THE GAMES!

Way too much to list but I snapped some photos to give you an idea:

Staff said that this is not like the Red Dot sales where there will be progressively deeper discounts, plus things are moving so fast that there wouldn't likely be much left to discount further anyway.

There was still a loads of worthwhile stuff there when I left last night but I'm guessing by tonight you'll only see about 1/3 of what's pictured remaining.

Happy Hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm officially jealous.

Thanks for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shearer
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
... nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Statesville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[To the tune of unforgettable]

Unbelievable
That's what you are
I'd drive up there
But it's way too far...

Enjoy that sale NYers. Darn.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lau
United States
Jersey City
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What a great find! Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Anyone know if any other stores are closing at the end of the year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:

They're only closing because the rent on the property is being raised so it's a local issue rather than a wider corporate one. Will edit the first post to make note of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:

Wow, just wow. You know some of us, like me, used to or still do work at Barnes & Noble.

I understand that you, and other posters, probably didn't mean to be insensitive, but people do depend on their jobs at places like this to make a living, and they're going to be unemployed just after Christmas. This is not like a typical "red dot happiness" thread where nobody is hurting, but a very sad occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

Wow, just wow. You know some of us, like me, used to or still do work at Barnes & Noble.

I understand that you, and other posters, probably didn't mean to be insensitive, but people do depend on their jobs at places like this to make a living, and they're going to be unemployed just after Christmas. This is not like a typical "red dot happiness" thread where nobody is hurting, but a very sad occasion.

Whoaaaah there! All he asked is whether anyone knew IF other stores were closing. He didn't say he HOPES other stores are closing!

Speaking for myself, while I wanted to post for the benefit of other geeks that might be nearby there is not a single bit of glee at the closing of this store and I'd gladly return every game I bought during the sale if it would mean they could stay open. The Fresh Meadows store is by far my favorite B&N location in the area by a wide margin and it's going to be sorely missed by everyone in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

You're assuming an awful lot of intent in his very innocuous statement. I'd suggest re-reading what he wrote and asking yourself if you're being a bit presumptuous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Z
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the find. Thought about Game of Thrones for a bit but decided not to bite. If it is still around and if it ever hits 75% I will most definitely go back. But still ended up with Hanabi and Pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

Find another job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic, you are the man. That's amazing! You always get the good stuff ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Kimmel
United States
Wheaton
IL
flag msg tools
mb
scifiantihero wrote:

Find another job.

See, that's what an insensitive post looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

Are you serious? Get off it, you bleeding heart sap. They're losing their jobs anyway and that's not our fault. What's wrong with asking if other stores will be offering this discount? Not knowing about or enjoying the sale isn't going to feed their families. If they're really going hungry they can have my lunch; I lost my appetite after reading this contrived excuse to be offended. If this benign post got you teary eyed, how the hell do you make it through the day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST SAW THIS NOW!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too! And I drove past the friggin' place an hour ago! It's for the best... I'd probably buy games I really don't need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But why didn't you tell me before, Dante? For the sake of all that is cardboard!!

Why God, why?!
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SmashedUp718 wrote:
But why didn't you tell me before, Dante? For the sake of all that is cardboard!!

Why God, why?!
cry

Do you guys think it's going to be cleared out already? Was planning to check it out at some point this week...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
JVKhoury wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:

While I feel sorry and empathize with your situation, this comment was really meant to find out if there are other deals to be had.

See what you fail to understand is we are all consumers, constantly on the hunt for a great bargin. When your employer closes for business, we all stand to gain financially.

Happy hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's fun poking the bear but let's let it go okay? I think every major point on the sensitive/insensitive issue (both earnest and sarcastic) has already been made, no?

SmashedUp718 wrote:

Why God, why?!
cry

Cubman23 wrote:
Do you guys think it's going to be cleared out already? Was planning to check it out at some point this week...

It's moving quickly but not like it's being looted the way it does during 75%/$2 Red Dot days.

Do your best to get in tomorrow and I'm guessing you'll still find plenty worthwhile. Will dwindle by the day of course, but even later in the week they should still have a few tempting things.

If you haven't signed up for Kid's Club do so now to get a 30% coupon. It's YMMV as always but one rang up automatically for me with no problem while another required a manager override. (but did get accepted)

Standard process applies, have the item pulled up on your smartphone to show that it's marked as Kid's Club Eligible.

If you sign up tonight coupons will be in your inbox tomorrow. (usually takes 8-12 hours)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you grab your coupons, because 40% off by itself is barely better than OLGS/Amazon, esp. if you aren't paying sales tax online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bimm wrote:
Make sure you grab your coupons, because 40% off by itself is barely better than OLGS/Amazon, esp. if you aren't paying sales tax online.

Well the 30% off Black Friday coupon isn't good until Friday. By then it'll ALL be gone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.