Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
I've played so many solo games, and since everything else has become too easy, my chosen difficult now is to play against an infectious flowchart in Mission Accomplished. Which is really difficult, though I have managed to win it.

Anyway, someone requested a card by card analysis, and I certainly think I can do that for the solo game. This makes no pretension to be useful for two player games.

For the US cards, not much will be said about the Jihadist drawing it. A further note is that I typically play 3 deck games, so the strategy analysis will be oriented mostly towards that.

US 1 ops cards:

#1 Backlash
Play if you can select a plot in a Muslin country. If unblocked, the plot subtracts rather than ads Funding (if WMD, Funding to 1).

Removing funding is always great, even if you can only make it last for a single draw phase. This one is worse than most other cards that achieve similar things, since it is very timing-dependent, and often you won't even get to play it. It is often a worse choice than cards that outright remove the plots, since unblocked plots in Muslim countries can still have some severe consequences. Still, if it becomes possible to play this and I don't urgently need the ops elsewhere, I will use it. I will often also hold this until there is a chance to make use of it (though holding it between turns probably isn't worth it). Sometimes you have something on your hand that can force a plot into a Muslim country (e.g. Danish Cartoons, Martyrdom Operation), but I find such circumstances to be rare, and you will also have to do with the additional consequences of the plots. If there is a chance the placed plot is a WMD, it is certainly worth playing, since setting funding to 1 is clearly useful.

If drawn by the jihadist, it almost always results in a single operation being played.

#2 Biometrics
This turn, travel to adjacent Good countries must roll to succeed and no non-adjacent travel. LAPSING

I typically do not find this event to be worth it. In particular on higher difficulties, the jihadist usually isn't travelling very much, instead relying on events and radicalization to get around. And this event has the potential benefit of making the Jihadist engage in Radicalization from travelling, which is almost always worse than travelling.

#3 CTR
Play if US Soft. Place CTR in Russia and, if Ally or Neutral, Central Asia. It blocks Loose Nukes, HEU, and Kazakh Strain. MARK

An ok event. It makes it very unlikely for any of the three affected events to come into play, though they are generally rarely seen in solo games anyway, since the jihadbot does not prioritise Central Asia or Russia very much. I generally don't have much of a problem with those events in the first place, since it means the jihadbot is not playing ops, and the nukes are usually wasted somewhere harmlessly anyway. Still, it does mean not having to worry about them getting those ops in the first place.

Another benefit of it is that it makes the annoying Ex-KGB event far more harmless, possibly enough reason to justify the event by itself. If possible and I don't need the ops elsewhere, I will often play CTR (unless it is already in play, in which case it is clearly worthless).

#4 Moro Talks
Test Philippines. -1 Funding, Block Abu Sayyaf. MARK and REMOVE

This is almost always worth playing. Abu Sayyaf is terribly annoying and can cause a lot of trouble that you'd rather have elsewhere, and events that place cells are annoying in the first place. -1 funding is also never a bad thing. I might consider not playing this if Abu Sayyaf is well buried and won't return, but if there is a good chance it will, better stop it in its tracks.

#5 NEST
WMD plots in the US are always face up. 1-player: If jihadists have WMD, all plots in the US placed face up. MARK and REMOVE

A good event. Since the jihadbot very eagerly plots in the United States and often manage to obtain the nukes from Pakistan (at least on the higher difficulties, this is difficult to avoid), it will manage to inform you which plots to alert. I rarely alert in solo games, since the jihadbot places far too many plots, and this it possible to know which plots I can ignore of those placed in the United States.

#6 & #7 Sanctions
Play if Patriot Act is in effect. -2 Funding.

-2 funding unconditionally is quite good. Sanctions is why you always want to have Patriot Act active. Unless you for some desperate reason need the 1 operation somewhere else, or funding already is very low, play this for the event. It may well be timed so as to hurt the most, which is probably near the end of the turn.

#8, #9 & #10 Special Forces
Play if there is a cell in or adjacent to a country with troops. Remove the cell.

One of the best of the "remove 1 cell" cards, though it is not as versatile as some of the others. It is mostly interesting for being the only one that is only 1 operation, which is vastly better than those twice as expensive. The possible use-cases are numerous and probably too many to list, but include delaying a major jihad attempt, making War of Ideas in a Regime Change country possible, being able to play nasty jihadist events like Abu Ghurayb and Bhutto Shot without triggering their events, or killing the otherwise untouchable Sadr cell. It is also interesting for working in non-Muslim countries and Iran, which makes it occasionally useful for killing off cells that would otherwise be expensive to disrupt. This is probably mainly useful in the Philippines with Abu Sayyaf active, or maybe Russia if you want to play Loose Nuke or HEU safely.

Often you will have no such attractive options, and since recruiting is very cheap for the jihadist, it might not be worth it. In particular, removing cells from regime change or islamist rule countries is probably a losing battle. It is not worth it to play after making this event playable in interesting ways, since deploying troops is a far more significant decision than an usually unimportant event. It is sometimes not playable in turn 1, but will usually be before the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
US 2 ops events
US 2 ops events

#11 Abbas
Allows Quartet. If Troops not in Overstretch and no Islamist Rule adjacent to Israel, +1 Prestige and -2 Funding. Remove marker if a plot resolved in Israel. MARK and REMOVE

This event should almost always be played, since activating Quartet, which is one of the strongest US events, alone is very good for you, and the upgraded effect is also excellent. You might consider delaying it if you can't protect Abbas against constant plotting in Israel, if that is for some reason happening, or if you can not in any timely manner fullfill the two prerequisites. Islamist rule in adjacent countries to Israel should not be happening much, as both Lebanon and Jordan have reset buttons (Hezbollah and King Abdullah), and Egypt is rarely touched by the jihadists in solo play. It can happen, however. Additionally, if you are stuck in overstretch for a long time, getting out of it might be difficult, and then playing Abbas might turn out to be worthless.

Even with all that being said, Abbas is still an excellent event and should be played 95% of the time. If you have Quartet on your hand, I would even consider it for Oil Price Spike.

#12 Al-Azhar
Test Egypt. -2 Funding, or -4 Funding if no country under Islamist Rule.

Testing Egypt rarely matters. It does bring you slightly closer to a 15 poor countries loss, but this is not likely to be how the game ends anyway, and it also removes what is often the best target for Regional Al-Qaeda. Clearly, the reason you're playing this is to kill Funding, which it is very good at. The boosted effect is almost always worth playing, preferably timing so that is hurts the most, and the unupgraded effect is not bad. It is a far more effective way to lower Funding than it is to alert plots in Muslim countries, for example. If you are doing regime change and have this card, consider timing it so that you can play Al-Azhar after having removed the last Islamist Rule country. If you're feeling lucky, you could even sometimes hold onto it in the hope that the jihadbot will undo its own Islamist Rule, which is possible for many different countries, though still not very likely.

#13 Anbar Awakening
Play if troops in either Iraq or Syria. Place 1 Aid there. +1 Prestige. Block Al-Anbar. MARK

The main reason that regime change in Iraq favors the US rather than the Jihadists. A strong event that is certainly worth playing if it is playable, which is not very often. Placing Aid is always useful, +1 prestige is always useful, and blocking an annoying event is also great. Once Al-Anbar has been blocked, it is not as strong the second time, but certainly still worth playing. Compare to Kurdistan, which only places aid in Iraq and does not grant prestige for it. Having Anbar Awakening makes attempting regime change in Iraq or Syria somewhat more attractive, though it is no Mass Turnout. In some cases, it even makes an alright Oil Price Spike candidate.

Note the similarities with the mostly identical Saddam Captured, the main advantage of Anbar Awakening being that it is not removed after play.

#14 Covert Action
Play if you can select an Adversary country. On a roll of 4 to 6, shift it to Neutral.

If there is an interesting non-Islamist Rule adversary I'd like to improve, this is an alright way to accomplish that. That would usually be Pakistan or Iraq. It is still a somewhat chancy way to do that, and due to the luck involved, no real strategy can be planned around it. If there are only adversaries I don't care much about (like Libya, Syria, sometimes Yemen or Sudan), I can usually find a more interesting use for the 2 ops, since even if it succeeds, getting a country from poor neutral to anything useful is still very expensive.

It should go without saying that, while amusing, using it on Islamist Rule countries is worthless.

#15 Ethiopia Strikes
Play if Somalia or Sudan in under Islamist Rule. Set it to Poor Neutral. REMOVE

A strategically very simple event. If it's playable, you'd probably always want to play it, and if it's not, you don't want it to become playable. If given the choice between resetting Sudan and Somalia, take into note that Sudan is an oil country, while Somalia enables Pirates, a nasty event in the rare case that it works. If you hold Darfur and have high prestige, you should certainly choose Sudan. Note that the presence of this card means you'd rather regime change other countries than Sudan or Somalia. Obviously a great choice for Oil Price Spike in the right situation.

#16 Euro-Islam
Select Benelux's Posture. If no country under Islamist Funding, -1 Funding. REMOVE

Even with the upgrade, this is not a strong event. It is clearly most useful when US Posture is at hard and there are no Islamist Rule countries. Without that, I find justifying the event rather difficult, as a similar effect can often be achieved with a 1 ops card. The dynamics change somewhat if it is a one deck game, as it is clearly not going to return then, in which case you might as well play it if the effects are useful. It does have a strategic consequence however: You should try to avoid doing War of Ideas in Benelux until this is gone, as otherwise you'd be wasting the effect.

#17 FSB
If jihadist has Loose Nukes, HEU, or Kazakh Strain, discard them. If not, remove a cell from Russia or Central Asia.

If you've been counting cards (or peeking at the discard pile), and these three cards still haven't shown up while near the end of the deck, you can use the event to discard something you know they have, usually a two ops for two ops trade that might be worth it. In solo games, there is the additional benefit that you get to look at the Jihadist hand, though it is shuffled afterwards, which can be very useful knowledge.

If the Jihadist player does not hold any of the above cards, you instead get to remove a cell from Russia or Central Asia. This is usually mostly useful to prevent them from getting any of those three cards activated, but can in Central Asia's case also be used to slow down Major Jihad. I typically still play this for ops, especially if there are no cells in these two countries. Knowing the cards in random order is not that useful.

#18 Intel Community
Inspect Jihadist hand. Conduct a 1-value operation. You may interrupt this Action phase now to play an extra card.

Always worth playing. Seeing the Jihadist cards in the order they'll be played is very useful, and it is only at a cost of 1 operation. There will often be little to do with that sole operation, so it'll in many cases go into reserves. The uses of knowing the Jihadist hand in advance are many, but can for example be used along with events like FSB, Renditions, Enhanced Measures or Fatwa to maximize their effectiveness, or anticipate certain nasty events that may be coming up (don't regime change until Abu Ghurayb has been used!), or anticipate cards that change the US posture and so on and so forth.

Interrupting the Action phase to play an extra is sometimes useful, but will often leave you card-starved by the end of the turn, unable to respond to the Jihadist plays. It can often ensure that you get to play your turn as you normally would, since you can use it to get a normal action phase consisting of two proper cards. It sadly does not allow many spectacular combos, as even if you're playing 3 cards, one of them is just a blank 1 ops card, which is rarely that useful.

#19 Kemalist Republic
Set Turkey to Fair Ally.

I will always play this is Turkey is anything less than Fair Ally. Even if your strategy does not involve Turkey, getting countries to Fair/Good is one of your victory conditions, and it may also distract the Jihadist. Make sure to watch out for Jihadist plays of Kurdistan. In two player games, your opponent could theoretically use this to reduce the governance of Turkey from good to fair, but that will never happen in a solo game. Worth considering for Oil Price Spike if you have nothing better, or in the rare case where Turkey is Islamist Rule.

#20 King Abdullah
Set Jordan to Fair Ally. +1 Prestige. -1 Funding. REMOVE

An extremely strong event, the only good reason for not playing this is because you want to preserve it for the next reshuffle, which I sometimes do. Jordan is not an overtly important country, but if you have one of the neighbors (usually Iraq or Saudi Arabia) at good ally, getting Jordan to good ally with the help of this card should be trivial. A card that has +1 Prestige and -1 Funding is often worth playing on its own, and getting Jordan to fair ally is a really nice bonus to add onto that. While it could theoretically undo Jihadist progress in Jordan, it is quite unlikely they will ever be doing much there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
US 2 ops events (continued)
US 2 ops events (continued)

#21 ”Let's Roll!”

Play if there is a plot in an Ally or Good country.
Reveal and remove it. Draw a card. Select 1 non-US country's Posture.

”Let's Roll!” falls squarely into the territory of must-play events. It accomplishes many things at once, each of which could in some situations be worth a card play of its own. Removing plots keeps Jihadist funding down, and prevents the other bad consequences a plot could have (in the worst case, instant loss). Drawing extra cards is excellent, and selecting the Posture of 1 non-US country is great for fixing any GWOT problems you might be having. Even if the plot is nowhere important, and getting to freely set the Posture of a country is not useful, it might be worth playing just for the extra card. It shines in particular if the plot is somewhere important like the United States, a Schengen country, a country with troops or India or Israel with their respective events active. If you fear plots appearing in any of those places, consider delaying this event to fight them, though you might not get to use it at all. Though it is possible to force plots to appear by playing cards like Martyrdom Operation, they will often place more plots than “Let's Roll!” alone can handle, in which case it might be better to dispose of them otherwise.

It is a decent card to hold between turns, but sometimes you'll just have to concede that you won't get to play it, and simply play it for ops.

#22 Mossad and Shin Bet
Play if any cells in Israel, Jordan, or Lebanon. Remove them all.

I've never played this for the event in a solo game. The situations in which it could be useful are not difficult to imagine. A buildup of cells preparing for Major Jihad or even Islamist Rule or Regime Change in Lebanon or Jordan, trying to protect Abbas from plots in Israel, or maybe just killing 3+ cells spread out over the countries. In practice, neither player particularly prioritise these countries, and such situations arise very rarily, if at all. I usually do not find removing a single or two cells from unimportant countries that the Jihadbot is very unlikely to do anything with an attractive use of two operations.

#23, #24 & #25 Predator
Remove a cell from a Muslim country (not Iran).

A straightforward way of removing cells, and works in the expected ways: delaying Major Jihad, making nasty events unplayable, removing access and making War of Ideas possible in regime change countries.
It is too expensive ops-wise to be used generally, and a good reason for using it, such as the above, is usually required to justify the cost, as against an attractive ideology, one cell clearly costs less than 2 ops in most cases. It is still better than most similar events, since they are often even more geographically limited (see Hezbollah).

#26 Quartet
Play if Abbas in effect, Troops not in Overstretch and no Islamist Rule adjacent to Israel. +2 Prestige, -3 Funding.

This is why you always want Abbas to be active, and why you must diligently avoid plots going off in Israel while he is. The easiest way to do that is to avoid cells getting there in the first place. Avoiding Troops in Overstretch depends more on the overall flow of the game, and can be somewhat difficult to control. Islamist Rule adjacent to Israel is rare, and should not be happening. If it does, the only one you want to be regime changing is Egypt.

Prestige and Funding wise, this is the best deal you're likely to get (extreme Prestige rolls can increase your Prestige by 6, and Backlash can theoretically dump Funding by 8). Even capturing Bin Ladin nets you 1 Prestige and -4 Funding, but at a higher ops-cost than Quartet. Thus, unless Funding already is very low and Prestige very high, in which case you're probably already winning, this card should be played for the event if at all possible. If you can afford it, holding it until you draw Abbas is an option. Though it often fails, the risk you're running is pretty low.

#27 Saddam Captured
Play if troops in Iraq. Place 1 Aid there. +1 Prestige. Block Saddam (and modify FREs event). MARK and REMOVE

The sister card of Anbar Awakening. It has some crucial differences that makes it overall weaker, but still very much worth playing. +1 Prestige is never bad, and getting Aid in Iraq should make finishing any Regime Change quicker. Blocking Saddam is quite useless. Once there are troops in Iraq, Saddam is highly unlikely to ever return to power (represented by Iraq being Poor Adversary), making Saddam already effectively blocked. Modifying FREs is nice – it turns it from almost Foreign Fighters into manageable. Technically, a difference between Saddam Captured and Anbar Awakening is that Saddam Captured only works in Iraq, but Anbar Awakening is gonna be played on Iraq 95% of the time anyway. If Iraq is at anything less than Good Ally and I don't intend to immediately deploy out of Iraq, I will certainly play this given the chance, and having the card also makes Regime Change in Iraq more attractive.

#28 Sharia
Remove a Besieged Regime marker.

A decent event. I like to play it if I can spare the ops, which I rarely find I can. Clearly not all Besieged Regime markers are created equal – in general, you should always try to remove those in valuable countries that you cannot do much else to affect, should such appear. Say, if a major jihad failure occurs in Iraq, you probably want to remove the marker just placed there, seeing as you can't stop them in many other ways. Some Besieged Regime markers are not worth worrying about – often the marker placed by Foreign Fighters in a Regime Change country will not be useful, since it is unlikely Major Jihad will be attempted there before you manage to get it to good. Sharia is also useful for taking the sting out of withdrawing from a country. The main issue with withdrawal usually is that the resulting Besieged Regime marker often hands the country to the Jihadist, sometimes forcing you to Regime Change anyway. If given the choice between two countries, try to pick the one you can not reset via event (you'd much rather remove Besieged Regime from Syria than Central Asia, for example). Also note that Besieged Regime in countries like Somalia, Yemen and Sudan can sometimes disturb the Jihadist operations, and cause bizarre and uncoordinated travel operations, probably a good thing for you.

Finally, quite often there are just no meaningful targets, in which case this card is just two ops.

#29 Tony Blair

Set United Kingdom's Posture to that of US. Roll War of Ideas in up to 3 Schengen countries. REMOVE

There are two uses to this event. The most obvious is to fix GWOT penalty, which it will almost always succeed in. Secondly, it is a decent way to get Prestige, typically 1 or 2. The event pulls in two different directions with regards to the US Posture while playing it – setting the UK's Posture to the same as that of the US is clearly better when the US is hard, while War of Ideas on non-Muslim countries is a much better operation when the US is soft. Either way, it is very good at what it does. It is most useful when all the Schengen countries have already been tested, but even without, it can be still be powerful. I'd generally not play this if I don't have GWOT issues at present, but rather keep it for later on. While not a strict rule, try to use the War of Ideas on Schengen countries that have no events directly affecting them, that is, Eastern Europe, Italy and Spain, unless of course the relevant events are gone.

#30 UN Nation Building
Play if a country is marked with Regime Change. Place 1 aid there and roll a War of Ideas as if GWOT Penalty 0. Blocked by Vieira de Mello Slain.

An excellent event. This is always worth playing if there is Regime Change. Getting to roll for War of Ideas as if GWOT Penalty 0 is less useful than it first appears, since most of the time, your GWOT Penalty should be 0, if it isn't, you will have difficulty achieving pretty much any goal. Placing Aid is always useful and sometimes worth an event by itself, but the real value of this event is that it can not be stopped by pouring cells into the country – unlike every other chance at rolling War of Ideas in a Regime Change country you'll get, this one doesn't require troops to outnumber cells by 5. And it allows War of Ideas in a poor country with a 2 ops card. Thus, it is especially good together with Sistani or Mass Turnout, since it can make you go (with a little luck) from poor to good in a single action phase, even without being able to wage War of Ideas in any other way. Having it on your hand is also very useful for starting Regime Change.

If Vieira de Mello Slain is in the deck, I'd much rather play this sooner rather than later. For the same reason, it is not worth holding for long and waiting for a perfect time to use. Does make for an okay candidate for Oil Price Spike.

#31 Wiretapping
Play if any cadres, cells, or plots in US, UK, or Canada.
Remove them all (place no cadre). Draw a card. Can be blocked by Leak.

A somewhat controversial event. Clearly, the main use of it is to remove plots and cells in the United States to prevent autoloss. The jihadbot will never try to recruit in the US or Canada, and UK is extremely rare, so cadres are not worth caring about, and generally cells and plots in UK and Canada are pretty tame and usually quite harmless, since the Jihadist will not try travelling to the United States (and they are not Schengen countries, which can have severe consequences for your GWOT relations).
There are multiple scenarios with regards to Leak, the main argument against playing Wiretapping.

1. No cards that activate Leak have been played yet. In this case, I'm generally reluctant about playing Wiretapping. Drawing a card and removing a cell in the UK is not worth it compared to activating the very annoying Leak event. However, if Wiretapping is the difference between plots going off in the US or not, I'll play it without hesitation, and typically, removing cells in the US is worth it.

2. Renditions or Enhanced Measures has already been played, but Wiretapping hasn't. In this case, the consequences from playing Wiretapping are not as grave. Unless it is very early in a long game, Leak is unlikely to come out that many times, and it should not cause many more problems.

3. Wiretapping is already in play and has not been leaked yet. In this case, it is very often worth playing if possible. Drawing an extra card is a very useful for reward for removing a cell in the US or UK that could cause problems down the line. If this is the case, I try to play Wiretapping as soon as I can, since a Leak could quickly render it unplayable, and I'll always play Wiretapping before I play Leak on myself, if I hold it.

If Wiretapping has been blocked, or if there are no cells/cadres/plots in US, UK or Canada, and you don't expect them to appear, it is just two ops.

Further note the interaction between some Jihadist events – if you plan on playing Wiretapping this turn, try to play Clean Operatives, Homegrown, Jihadist Videos or Martyrdom Operation before, since Wiretapping in many cases conveniently partially or fully invalidates the effect of these. Finally, if you hold Leak, it should also be carefully timed. Given the appropriate situation, this is a strong Oil Price Spike candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
US 3 ops events

#32 Back Channel
Play if US Soft and you have another card of exact values of an Adversary's resources. You may discard the card to shift the Adversary to Neutral and place 1 Aid there.

The Jihadbot is never playing this event for you, so you'll be spending at least 4 ops for this effect – a steep price for getting a country you might not care about to neutral. The only viable targets for this expensive event are usually Iraq and Pakistan. Even though Syria and Libya start as adversaries and are always possible targets, it is not very attractive to shift them – they are not particularly valuable countries, and the events affecting them discourage wasting Back Channel on them. If you want to do something in Adversary Pakistan or Iraq, it is worth using, but usually you have more important things to do than getting countries to poor neutral. However, it does also allow discarding a card, which is clearly very attractive in some cases. Often dumping 6 ops just to get rid of a nasty Jihadist event like Clean Operatives or Taliban without firing it is worth it, and then you may as well use it. It is theoretically possible to use it on Islamist Rule countries, but fully worthless.

It does provide a decent incentive to be Soft, which is often lacking in the solo game. Even if you don't intend to make use of the event, it is often better to make the Jihadbot plot rather than play ops.

#33 Benazir Bhutto
Play if no Islamist Rule within 1 country of Pakistan. No jihad there. If at Poor, shift to Fair. Block Musharraf. Blocked by Bhutto Shot.

Assuming Bhutto Shot won't be played immediately afterwards, this is almost always worth playing. Being unable to jihad in Pakistan really confuses the Jihadbot's priorities, and is great in any case, especially if the Pakistani nukes are still under lock and key. Improving governance is great as well, but it is still a very useful event even if you don't get to make use of this part. Musharraf often favors the US, but once you get past Poor Ally (and assuming Pakistan is not Adversary), it becomes a liability, which Benazir Bhutto handily undoes.

It also provides a great incentive to stop Islamist Rule from appearing in Pakistan and its neighbors. In any case, you certainly don't want that in Gulf States, Pakistan and Indonesia/Malaysia, and if I'm holding Benazir Bhutto, I might just consider rushing a regime change in Afghanistan.

#35 Enhanced Measures
Play if US Hard and disrupt possible. Disrupt once. Take a random card from the Jihadist hand. Can be blocked by Leak. MARK

Very similar to Renditions, but better.

It is gonna be possible to disrupt 95% of the time. The only plausible cases where it is not going to be the case is either very early in a 2001 scenario, or if GTMO caused a serious shortage of cells. Thus this event being playable hinges on the US being hard. It is never worth reassessing just to play Enhanced Measures, though you can certainly factor it into your strategy. With regards to Leak, there are a few possibilities.

1. No cards that activate Leak have been played yet. In this case, I am very reluctant to play Enhanced Measures. None the less, if I intend to disrupt anyway with a 3 ops card somewhere (often to remove two cells in a country with troops deployed), then Enhanced Measures is worth it. Taking a card from the Jihadist's hand and adding it to your own is very good for you, sufficiently good that I'll risk a later Leak.

If Leak is already playable, I am less hesitant to play it. 3 ops cards are still pretty good, and if I don't have any attractive disrupts, it might not be worth it. If I wanted to disrupt anyway, it is however certainly worth playing.

#36 Hijab
Play if no country is Islamist Rule. Test Turkey. Improve its Governance 1 level. Select France's Posture. -2 funding. REMOVE

A host of great effects! It guarantees that Turkey will be at least Fair Neutral. Selecting France's Posture is sometimes useful, but France is not that hard to affect anyway, and is also target of Schrodinger & Chirac, so it's a minor benefit. -2 Funding is never a bad thing. Still, the main reason you'd play this is to improve Turkey's Governance. The very best use of this card is to combine it with Kemalist Republic – allowing you to unconditionally take Turkey from any governance to Good Ally in just two cards. If I can use it to get Turkey to Good Ally, I will always play it. Otherwise, the only reason I'd typically not play this for the event is if it's a multi-deck game and I wish to keep some of my events in the deck.

It is also sometimes enough to justify regime changing the Islamist Rule country on the map. If I'm on the edge, having Hijab on my hand pushes it over. If you can combine it with Kemalist Republic, worth considering for Oil Price Spike.

Further note that you typically do not want to use War of Ideas or events like Let's Roll on France until Hijab is out of the deck.

#38 Indo-Pakistani Talks
Play if Pakistan Good or Fair. Shift it to Ally.
Select India's Posture.
Block Kashmir and Lashkar-e-Tayyiba.
Remove marker if a plot resolved in India. MARK and REMOVE

One of the absolutely best US events in solo games. This is always worth playing. It blocks two Jihadist events that are both quite strong for their ops value, and without Indo-Pakistani Talks, it can be quite difficult to put up a fight for Pakistan. Optimally, you want to play this when Pakistan is not Ally and you need to change India's Posture, but it is always worth playing just for the benefit of blocking Kashmir and Lashkar-e-Tayyiba. Unless Lashkar-e-Tayyiba has already been played, keeping it in play should not be particularly troublesome. The Jihadbot is quite unlikely to put cells into India, and if they somehow end up there, they're easily disrupted out.

Note that you typically do not want to use War of Ideas or events like Let's Roll on India until Indo-Pakistani Talks has been played. If it ends up unplayed in the discard pile, good early Oil Price Spike candidate.

#39 Iraqi WMD
Play if US Hard and Iraq Adversary.
Use this or later card for Regime Change in Iraq at any Governance (remove marker if you do).

A very expensive event to play – the cost is always going to be more than 3 ops, since you'll get involved in a likely costly Regime Change. This cost is frequently too high to justify playing Iraqi WMD. In solo games versus higher difficulties, you're consistently starved for resources and trying to put out fires everywhere, and the one of the last things you need is another Regime Change to be concerned about. However, maybe you have an absolutely killer of a hand, with some of Mass Turnout, Sistani, Anbar Awakening, Saddam Captured, UN Nation Building or NATO, and then sure, why not consider it, but I find such circumstances to be rare.

#40 Libyan Deal
Play if Iraq or Syria Ally and Libya Poor.

Libya to Ally. +1 Prestige. Select 2 Schengen countries' Posture.

Strong card that I'll usually play if I can (will generally only happen if Iraq has been Regime Changed). It is not easy to fullfill those goals though. Iraq is difficult to get to Ally, and Syria is one of the least interesting countries on the map to the US (and the jihadbot also seems to avoid it). The Schengen effect is the most helpful, and it is one of the few ways the US can quickly fix GWOT problems; optimally, it'll get you a massive 4 GWOT point swing. Otherwise, there is little to see. Usually you'll just play this for the 3 ops, since the event won't be playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
US 3-ops events (continued)
US 3-ops events (continued)

#39 Libyan WMD
Play if Libya Adversary, US Hard, and no Libyan Deal. Use this or a later card for Regime Change in Libya at any Governance (Remove marker if you do).

Similar to Iraqi WMD but with some differences. For one, Libya is not a very volatile country. There are few events affecting it if regime changed, and it is generally not a very important country. So unlike Iraq, both players won't pour all their resources into it. So it is less risky than Iraq, but the payoff is also much worse. It's supported by all the usual friends of Regime Changes, such as Mass Turnout, UN Nation Building and NATO. Without access to any such events, I probably wouldn't use it. While it definitely can be good, it more often than not ends up being rather costly, and I usually play this for operations.

#40 Mass Turnout
Play if there is a Regime Change country. Improve its Governance 1 level.

The best US event in the game. It's the only way to get any Muslim country to Good without War of Ideas (Hijab and Sistani can do it for some countries). If Regime Change is at all possible, drawing this card makes it very attractive. There are maybe some edge cases where excessive plotting in a regime change country makes the event undesirable, but all in all, this is always worth playing if possible. Usually it's fairly obvious which country to use it on. The most common card for the US to use Oil Price Spike on.

#41 NATO
Play if GWOT Penalty is 0 and a country has Regime Change. Place 1 Aid and NATO there. NATO is 2 troops. If it deploys, remove it.

This is a strong event and usually worth using. Getting more troops into play without risking Overstretch is good. Aid is good and sometimes worth a card play on its own (see Kurdistan). There are essentially 2 advantages of having NATO hanging around in a country. First, they it harder for the Jihadist to mess with one's ability to interfere with War of Ideas, since they also need 2 more cells there. Secondly, once the American troops deploy to elsewhere, NATO hangs around providing bonuses – namely Major Jihad being a lot harder, and disrupt giving prestige. There's also the downside that successful plots crash prestige, and it can enable some Jihadist events. Overall it is pretty good though.

#42 Pakistani Offensive
Play if Pakistan Ally and marked with FATA. Remove FATA.

This is not a very good event in solo games (it's a lot better in 2-player games). On higher solo difficulties, the Jihadist can often out-recruit disrupts in Muslim countries, so a disrupt is a more situational operation. Spending 3 ops just for the ability to disrupt in Pakistan again is a bit speculative. Maybe it can combo successfully with something (e.g. dumping Bhutto Shot), but generally this is better spent as ops.

#43 Patriot Act
The US is not adjacent to any country except Canada. Allows Sanctions.

Edge cases aside, making US not adjacent to Schengen, UK and Philippines is almost never relevant in solo games. Therefore there's only thing this event is good for, which is activating Sanctions. As already established, Sanctions is a pretty strong event, so unless the game is just about to end or the ops are very desperately needed elsewhere, this should be played for the event. It also enables that the Jihadist will do Radicalization with Sanctions instead, which is generally worse than playing 1 operation.

#44 Renditions
Play if US hard. Disrupt once, if possible. Jihadists discard a random card. Block Detainee Release. Can be blocked by Leak.

Trading a 3 ops card for the Jihadists discarding a random card is generally not very good. Detainee Release also often doesn't matter in solo games. Hence this card is all the disruption. If you wanted to disrupt in a country with poor governance anyway, this card is typically better. Activating Leak hurts, but often you'll end up playing Enhanced Measures or Wiretapping anyway. Most of the time this should just be played for operations.

#45 Safer Now
Play if no Islamist Rule and no Good countries have cells or plots. Roll US posture. +3 Prestige. Select 1 non-US country's Posture.

Really, really strong event. Unless you really need Hard to Regime Change or something, this is almost always worth it. +3 Prestige is fantastic, and setting a country's posture helps fix any GWOT problems. In practice though, you will very rarely get to play it. The requirements are things you want to happen anyway, but they are very hard to satisfy. If you're like one cell away from getting there, it may be worth it. Usually though, this will just end up being 3 ops.

#46 Sistani
Play if Shia-Mix Regime Change country has a cell. Improve Governance there 1 Level.

The slightly worse cousin of Mass Turnout. Still very strong, since Shia-Mix countries are generally often targets of Regime Change anyway. Sometimes one can do tricks to force cells into Regime Change countries if there aren't any, but usually there will be. Strong Oil Price Spike candidate, if Mass Turnout isn't available.

#47 “The door of Ijtihad was closed”
Jihadist randomly selects from hand each Jihadist card play this turn. 1-player on jihadist Action Phase this turn, non-US events are not playable.

I don't bother much with this event. There are quite a few Jihadist events that are usually better for the Jihadbot if played as ops (e.g. Loose Nuke, Hariri Killed, Al-Anbar, Homegrown, Adam Gadahn). These will usually be played as the event, but “The door of Ijtihad was closed”, makes the Jihadbot play them as ops instead. Of course, certain neutral events are clearly very good for the Jihadbot, since they get to double them as ops and events, such as Zarqawi and Bin Ladin. But remember that you are trading 3 ops for a speculative event that can even backfire. So unless I have some reason to suspect that it'll be good, I'll play it for ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crosby
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
Emil, great stuff, and thanks for posting.
Would not Biometrics prevent Radicalisation travel options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.