Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hyperborea vs. Runewars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's is the better game? Hyperborea or Runewars?

Which is better for 2 players?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... what a you looking for?

Looking for a convoluted Ameritrash game? Take Runewars.

Looking for a dry Euro with some minis to disguise it as something else? Take Hyperborea.



Seriously though... Runewars has some more mechanics than it probably should've. It takes a pretty big time commitment and it's not really a game I'd bring out for 2 players.

I've only played a couple of rounds of Hyperborea at Spiel in Essen, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But Hyperborea felt extremely mechanical to me. It's extremely focused on the whole bag-building-thing. If that gets you excited, it might be a good choice but still I'd suggest to try it first. (I was not impressed.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
Well... what a you looking for?

Looking for a convoluted Ameritrash game? Take Runewars.

Looking for a dry Euro with some minis to disguise it as something else? Take Hyperborea.



Seriously though... Runewars has some more mechanics than it probably should've. It takes a pretty big time commitment and it's not really a game I'd bring out for 2 players.

I've only played a couple of rounds of Hyperborea at Spiel in Essen, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But Hyperborea felt extremely mechanical to me. It's extremely focused on the whole bag-building-thing. If that gets you excited, it might be a good choice but still I'd suggest to try it first. (I was not impressed.)

Not to derail the thread (well, maybe a little...) but what would you go for if you wanted a fix of what Hyporborea is trying to masquerade as?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
Not to derail the thread (well, maybe a little...) but what would you go for if you wanted a fix of what Hyporborea is trying to masquerade as?


Good question

I guess it depends:

If I'm looking for an epic fantasy game, I might in fact end up playing Runewars.

If I'm looking for a fantasy game with conflict all over the place, I'd play Chaos in the Old World.

If I want a cool looking Euro with a good load of conflict, I'd play Cyclades.

Hope this helps a little...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
Not to derail the thread (well, maybe a little...) but what would you go for if you wanted a fix of what Hyporborea is trying to masquerade as?


Good question

I guess it depends:

If I'm looking for an epic fantasy game, I might in fact end up playing Runewars.

If I'm looking for a fantasy game with conflict all over the place, I'd play Chaos in the Old World.

If I want a cool looking Euro with a good load of conflict, I'd play Cyclades.

Hope this helps a little...

What if you want to have a D&D feeling kind of game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
What if you want to have a D&D feeling kind of game?

D&D Conquest of Nerath?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
What if you want to have a D&D feeling kind of game?


Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) ?

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), but it doesn't play well with only 2.

I ended up playing Hyperborea with 2 (not more). I don't think it's nearly as thematic as Runewars but does have the advantage of being a much less fiddly (and shorter) game. I think Hyperborea is a good game but seems a bit thin, other than the (fun) "bag filling" mechanic. I also think it's very overpriced. With that said, I think both games are different enough to avoid comparison.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
What if you want to have a D&D feeling kind of game?


Then it depends on whether I want to play with a party of heroes, then I'd also pick Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), or go on my own in which case I'd play Runebound (Second Edition) or Mage Knight Board Game.

Lightstorm wrote:
I ended up playing Hyperborea with 2 (not more). I don't think it's nearly as thematic as Runewars but does have the advantage of being a much less fiddly (and shorter) game. I think Hyperborea is a good game but seems a bit thin, other than the (fun) "bag filling" mechanic. I also think it's very overpriced. With that said, I think both games are different enough to avoid comparison.


I wholeheartedly agree
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightstorm wrote:
I really like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), but it doesn't play well with only 2.


I don't understand this. One player plays the Heroes and the other plays the Warlord. How is this different than a 5 player game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
...because if I can't win, you can't either! :)
badge
OH...OH...OH....OH...OVERTEXT!!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game +1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.