Blocks in Afrika» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 1939 Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES! Yesterday we unleashed the 1939 Campaign....

Players:
Raoul (Rwargamer)
Myself

We started around 10:00 in the morning and we stopped about 18:00.
Intention was to start with the Naval Units, but we had some minor issues with deployment, so we decided to switch to MDR. Afterall this was no bad decision because of the newbie player. Regarding the minor issues I checked with Emanuele, navy units may be deployed everywhere.

Raoul played soviets, newbie Jerry's and I the Tommies. Setup and rules introduction to newbie took about 2 hours. We used the goretex maps.

Axis player started with attack on Poland, here we made our first mistake, we forgot the Axis suprise bonus. Without the surprise bonus axis units are just techlevel 1, every enemy a tough nut to crack.
It took 2 turns before Poland became Axis. After counting casualties the axis took 6 turn untill march building up his army to invade the Lowlands and France.

In the meanwhile the soviets started their limited wars. Poland is easy but the Finnish is quite difficult you need additional units at the border, so when deploying during 1939 setup, place black dotted units in a tactical way.

When the axis players sees the first sunbeam in 1940 they will execute operation Weserübung, here we made our second mistake, when Oslo is captured Norwegian 0-step units stay in play (we removed them) allowing the UK and French artic unit to land in Norwegian ports.

The turn after Weserubung, jerry's went for the Lowlands and France. The French decided to choose the Dyle-Breda option. The Lowlands were wiped from existence quite easy, but France is another story. We decided to deploy units at 2step's in France and 2*3 units in the Maginot line at full strength. If you deploy them in a tactical way, the famous sickle-cut is impossible then.

We stopped after the first attacks on France......

CONCLUSION:
The 1939 campaign (combining the 3 games) is the best on the market (Looking at rules/historical depth/arcade factor and fun). The game is more then just an Eurofront successor.
We played with the icon-stickers, but if you want to speed up the game, I suggest playing with the Nato-stickers (identifying units is easier).
Because of the mistakes we made we will start over again next time. At that time we hope that newbie ain't newbie anymore.

OPTIMUS PRIME:
Remember the famous quote, I am Optimus Prime and I send this message to all surviving autobots.......WHERE in the HECK are "autobots" wargameplayers...??????
Raoul and I played a lot of different wargames, but when looking for new players we always identify the same problem, you can teach someone the rules, but you can't learn him/her the game. Problem is always applying the rules to the blocks/counters in relationship to the map.

Most people have a "Hammer of the Scots" (nice game to) limit and that's a shame because this game and others to, earn regular play!!!

Are we Einstein then pp?

We will post another session soon, have a good day!

gr,
Kenny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
This is a wargamers wargame.
The pretty map, sexy blocks are a lure.
The trap is you need to be more than a HotS player.
you need to be more than a Eurofront player.

A historical wargamer, who has more than a few hours to invest in THINKING... not looking up rules, but thinking about strategy.

So many people laugh when I say these titles are the OCS of Block games.... IT is not because of complexity. It is because of the choices and decisions you must make, now and for three turns hence.

I hope more people play and invest in the fun of a deeply satisfying experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me what you mean by forgetting the Axis surprise bonus against Poland? Are you referring to the Tech 0 malus for minor powers? That is cancelled when the Brush send 5 PP for assistance. I don't see any surprise bonus for the attack on Poland, though there is one for Operation Weserbrung (specifically?). Am I missing something in one of the rule books (always a real possibility with me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris,

The surprise bonus applies in this case:

6.8.5 AXIS SURPRISE BONUS
Axis Powers, during the first turn of a DOW against a neutral Power
receive the following benefits to reflect a surprise:
• Attacking GU are not affected by any Malus.
• Defending GU do not receive any Bonus (except bunker/Fortresses).
• Attacking Aircraft and Artillery receive a Bonus (i.e. Italians
attacking Greece are not halved in hills, and Italian tech 1 fighters
may strafe on ground).
• If allowed, Airborne and Amphibious landings have a special
bonus, as described below.
The bonus lasts for the first combat round, both the normal combat
and the blitz, if any.

It's from the Blocks in Europe manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, missed it, despite conducting multiple searches for the word surprise. Still, that should be no surprise. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.