Subject: Advice about expansions pls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played the base game of Power Grid 6 or so times now. I like it a lot and so do my friends. I'd like to pick up the mini expansions but I wonder if they mess up the game at all and make it less tight and too swingy or if they improve/enhance the overall experience.

eg..
Taxes: These seem ok as they affect all players.
Theme Park: An extra city seems a big deal
Supply Contract: Moving back in the play order seems a big big advantage.
Warehouses: Good or bad?

And any others that are worth seeking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just talking about the promos such as those listed, I wouldn't say that any of them swing the game one way or another. I've never played with taxes nor the supply contract (permanent handicap?), but the others are a standard part of any deck I play. They are all subject to the question of "is it really worth it to fork out the cash for that right now? The auction really balances them out.

The theme park is only worth, at the most, as much as the most expensive city+connection fee for each individual bidder. The auction balances this one pretty well.

The warehouse is generally only worthwhile at all if you can acquire it for cheap, and better later when you have more money. It may help you deprive another player(s) of resources when the market goes dry, but it doesn't always play out that way. For example, if you acquire it early for cheap or otherwise, it'll probably nag you throughout the rest of the game when you need just one more dollar to advance forward one more city.

The surplus and shortage cards (look like warehouses, but are events) make things a little more interesting in my opinion. I like them. This game is all about budgeting, planning, etc. These usually cause you to alter your plan a bit when they come out.

Industrial espionage lightens the game a little bit, as it gives a turn-based handicap. I only bother with this one when I want to play as friendly a game as possible.

The transformer station is another one that is sometimes worth it and sometimes not. It depends on what power plant you want to attach it to, and how much others want it. Sometimes, it can bolster a power plant enough to keep it in front of you for several turns longer than you would have otherwise. But it usually goes for more than it's worth in my opinion.

The flux generator is probably my favorite among the promos. It is an excellent power plant--possibly too good for its cost, but it rarely goes for less than $40, and considerably more if it comes out at the right time. The best part is that when you pull the flux generator, the lowest cost power plant gets chucked and an additional power plant comes into the market as well. This helps to move things along.

I got the original promo pack of 7 for $5 shipped. I'm happy that I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilda Lirsch
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth seeking out are the expansion maps. I like all the expansion maps, but my two favourites are:

Power Grid: Benelux/Central Europe - because the Central Europe side has interesting garbage and uranium rules, and because the Benelux side is ideal when you need to play a very quick game

Power Grid: Australia & Indian Subcontinent - because the Indian Subcontinent side has interesting resource constraints, and as a patriotic Aussie I enjoy the Australian Down-Under side (with down-under city names and connection costs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The promos are fun, but I only use them occasionally.

The expansion maps are great, as it says on the back of the Power Grid: Brazil/Spain & Portugal box "Collect them all". I know I have - yes I am a Power Grid completist blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that both the Theme Park and the transformer station certainly have the ability to "change the game" as far as giving the owner a clear leg up.

I wouldn't consider the "Supply contract" to be a permanent handicap either, but quite the opposite.

I do vote one up for Australia/India
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Maps are the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.