Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trader (New) space replaces the EXISTING Trader Action Space. The other new action spaces don't have the word "existing". So do these new action spaces actually replace the old one? So there is no longer a Mayor space (i.e., is it replaced by the Marshal)? And what about Barnstorming and the Saloon; both say the replace the Market Action Space. How do both replace one space? Ditto with the Carnival and Marshal, both of which replace the Mayor space.

On a related note, if the old spaces are actually replaced, I find it odd that the Campaign replaces the Scout space since that removes one of the ways to draw cards.

And speaking of drawing cards, I assume any abilities/cards/etc that let you draw cards e.g., the Stagecoach) let you draw from any card deck, not just Action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is modular, it's not recommended to start with everything all at once. If you look toward the back of the rulebook there are scenarios that each use different bits from the expansion. You obviously can't have both Barnstorming and Saloon, you'll need to choose one.

There are a couple things I have doubts about though:

- none of the new spaces says to replace the Sheriff, so if the Marshall is out you'll always have the Sheriff available too? I would have thought the Marshall replaced the Sheriff.
- There are two spaces that say to replace the Mayor, but they say 8+...it seems like the intention would have been to replace another space that took dice totaling 8 or more instead of counting up to 9 then back down to 8+.

Don, would you please confirm these aren't just copy/paste errors, that the rulebook is accurate for which new spaces are supposed to replace which old spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sekelaa wrote:
And speaking of drawing cards, I assume any abilities/cards/etc that let you draw cards e.g., the Stagecoach) let you draw from any card deck, not just Action cards.
Yes, you are correct. This will need to find its way to a FAQ/Errata document. The Pioneer and Scout Action Space can draw from any card deck, not just Action Cards.

Basiliv wrote:
Don, would you please confirm these aren't just copy/paste errors, that the rulebook is accurate for which new spaces are supposed to replace which old spaces?
I reviewed the book and all new Action Space "overlay" rules are correct.

Stagecoach replaces Pioneer
New Trader replaces Existing Trader
Marshal replaces Mayor
Campaign replaces Scout
Saloon/Barnstorming replaces Market
Carnival replaces Mayor
Inventor replaces Engineer

All expansion content is intended to be used following scenario rules. However, that does not mean that players cannot alter existing scenarios or simply add a few variants to a standard game of Dark Horse. In most cases, it is perfectly fine to do so.

However, the scenarios depend upon players using the variants listed in the specific scenario. For example, "Pork Barrel" has undesirable results when the Carnival Action Space does not replace the Mayor Action Space. To be more specific, when the Mayor Action Space is available it introduces a third option to gain Influence and throws the balance off. A similar comment could be said for the "How the West was Won" scenario, except in that regard, removing the Mayor Action Space slows down an Influence Track rush strategy.

sekelaa wrote:
On a related note, if the old spaces are actually replaced, I find it odd that the Campaign replaces the Scout space since that removes one of the ways to draw cards.

The "Pork Barrel" scenario is quite unique and players will need to re-focus their usually Dark Horse tactics. There is no additional cards in this scenario, although players can still draw from the Action Card deck. However, the Action Cards revolve around building/resources, etc. The "Pork Barrel" scenario focuses primarily on the Influence Track.

Basiliv wrote:
- none of the new spaces says to replace the Sheriff, so if the Marshall is out you'll always have the Sheriff available too? I would have thought the Marshall replaced the Sheriff.

We went back and forth on this one. Many players felt that losing the Deputy Die was too restrictive. Dustin helped play test various expansion scenarios and variants with and without access to the Sheriff Action Space. The feedback collected from everyone made sense so Marshal replaces Mayor.

Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Basiliv wrote:
- There are two spaces that say to replace the Mayor, but they say 8+...it seems like the intention would have been to replace another space that took dice totaling 8 or more instead of counting up to 9 then back down to 8+.

Yes, you are right, and from a number progression stand point it does make sense. In the end, we decided that was was important was the overall balance of the scenario's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughtful answers, Don!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for your answers. Very helpful. I didn't realize the new action spaces were modular; that makes so much more sense. I am about to start my second game. Enjoyed the first go-around a lot, even though it was a little crazy with all the extra spaces and everything else I added. LOL This time I'm just playing one of the scenarios, which should be a bit more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.