Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
"You caught the Mountain Wampus!"
badge
"He gave you his treasure chest to let him go free again."
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Thank you so much for an awesome BGG.CON! I finally made it back after 3 years away and had a blast reconnecting with old friends and making new ones.

I know this kind of thing takes a ton of work and just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU! to everyone involved.

This is absolutely a great con focused on boardgaming and making friends and leaves out all that ticket silliness and nickel/diming for "events". It's very refreshing and just plain fun. I'm looking forward to trying to drag the family back out to Dallas over memorial day weekend so they can enjoy too!

CHEERS!!!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Thank You!!! Now I'm here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great con as always - I think they finally have all the little bugs of past cons worked out. My only gripe is the high prices/general dearth of dining options at the hotel itself. They need to provide either more (substantial) choices at their ticketed food bar downstairs, or else lower their prices in the main restaurant upstairs for BGG.con attendees. Those prices are reflective of business travelers who have generous corporate expense accounts - not us ostensibly poor board gamers. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
A great con as always - I think they finally have all the little bugs of past cons worked out. My only gripe is the high prices/general dearth of dining options at the hotel itself. They need to provide either more (substantial) choices at their ticketed food bar downstairs, or else lower their prices in the main restaurant upstairs for BGG.con attendees. Those prices are reflective of business travelers who have generous corporate expense accounts - not us ostensibly poor board gamers. yuk

For the future, I would suggest using the free shuttle that Rio Grande Games sponsored to Target/Big Lots (next door to each other) at least once. You can load up on snacks (we did Poptarts, nuts, trail mix bars, and peanut butter crackers), microwaveable snacks (there was one microwave downstairs), and canned or bottled drinks that can be cooled on the patio (you won't ever get a fridge, I've learned to accept it). Then you can use the shuttles sparingly when you just have to have real food since there are good restaurants on their route too (Uncle Julio's is like $15-$20 a person, but it feeds two really and is delicious). From one cheap gamer to someone who may appreciate the tips...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hotel could still do a better job of catering to gamers' budgets, considering we sell out the damn place every year. We shouldn't have to go foraging outside the hotel or even airport confines in order to find healthy food at a decent price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
I think the hotel could still do a better job of catering to gamers' budgets, considering we sell out the damn place every year. We shouldn't have to go foraging outside the hotel or even airport confines in order to find healthy food at a decent price.
Hotels don't lower prices for much larger conventions so good luck with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:

Perhaps we do sell out the place, but I can tell you from experience that this convention is one of the most affordable conventions I have attended. The room rate is outstanding the convention badge is affordable, given 5 days of non-stop entertainment, the food options are pretty varied and still relatively affordable compared to other much larger much more lucrative conventions that I have attended.

A few additional suggestions:
1. The hotel was fantastic about providing sufficient refrigerators this year. A vegan friend of mine was able to bring some of her meals herself and microwave anything that needed heating downstairs. I would definitely leverage those refrigerators.

2. I tend to bring my own supply of fruit and snacks so I can get some moderately healthy snack options during the convention.

3. The concierge has some menus of local restaurants that deliver. The chinese place is a great value. A number of us used those delivery options this year. It's very convenient.

When all is said and done, the hotel does a great job of providing a wide variety of food options. Yes, they are expensive, but it is also convenient. Outside if that you have so many ways you can get cheaper food options with a minimal amount of planning: befriending con attendees who drive in, they can get you to a grocery store easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:

I think the hotel does a surprisingly exceptional job of catering to the quirks of this particular convention. It's probably not in most hotel managers business plan to have 2000+ geeks making themselves at home at all hours of the night in their facilities.

The hotel gives a food discount to con attendees. Has set up a special food booth (granted where the food is less great and more expensive, but there are trade-offs in life -- it's fast) is proactive in stocking water and hand sanitizer, validates long term parking efficiently, is responsive with in-room refrigerators and roll away cots, and has a clearly well trained staff that provide friendly and efficient service.

The con is, of course, trying to maximize their revenue and profit from the convention. There are several ways of doing this and I'm glad they're opting for the way which provides great service at reasonable prices. It's probably not realistic to expect rock bottom prices from them, and it could be worse as they have quite a large captured audience, they could try to gouge the convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could have gone... It's been too long. I miss you Mike!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sheley
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
"You caught the Mountain Wampus!"
badge
"He gave you his treasure chest to let him go free again."
mbmbmbmbmb
You just need to come next year or maybe in May Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:

Actually, BGG attendees got a 10% discount at the restaurant upstairs. That is probably as good as it will get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riska wrote:
Apocryphile wrote:

Perhaps we do sell out the place, but I can tell you from experience that this convention is one of the most affordable conventions I have attended. The room rate is outstanding the convention badge is affordable, given 5 days of non-stop entertainment, the food options are pretty varied and still relatively affordable compared to other much larger much more lucrative conventions that I have attended.

A few additional suggestions:
1. The hotel was fantastic about providing sufficient refrigerators this year. A vegan friend of mine was able to bring some of her meals herself and microwave anything that needed heating downstairs. I would definitely leverage those refrigerators.

2. I tend to bring my own supply of fruit and snacks so I can get some moderately healthy snack options during the convention.

3. The concierge has some menus of local restaurants that deliver. The chinese place is a great value. A number of us used those delivery options this year. It's very convenient.

When all is said and done, the hotel does a great job of providing a wide variety of food options. Yes, they are expensive, but it is also convenient. Outside if that you have so many ways you can get cheaper food options with a minimal amount of planning: befriending con attendees who drive in, they can get you to a grocery store easily.

Amen!! I go to 3-4 cons a year and this one is one of the most affordable for its size. Many hotels will jack up prices for a large convention or offer no discounts on food etc.... The hotel food is actually cheaper than most large hotel restaurants and the rooms are a great price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Echoing the thanks! It's an awesome con, and I had a fantastic time I couldn't have had anyplace else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwculp wrote:
Apocryphile wrote:

Actually, BGG attendees got a 10% discount at the restaurant upstairs. That is probably as good as it will get.

Wow - I'd hate to see the non-discounted prices! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Might be cheaper to rent a car to go to restaurants/fast food, grocery stores outside the convention. That would probably pay for itself then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaide78 wrote:
Might be cheaper to rent a car to go to restaurants/fast food, grocery stores outside the convention. That would probably pay for itself then.

It would have to be a cheap car or split among people. I stayed in the hotel and between breakfast and dinner (I often skipped lunch) I averaged $30.00/day. Unless you can rent a car and eat for less than $30.00 a day it wouldn't be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dwculp wrote:
Quaide78 wrote:

It would have to be a cheap car or split among people. I stayed in the hotel and between breakfast and dinner (I often skipped lunch) I averaged $30.00/day. Unless you can rent a car and eat for less than $30.00 a day it wouldn't be worth it.

Maybe rent a car for one day (Tuesday?) and get all your shopping done, then return it to the airport and take the shuttle to the hotel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
dwculp wrote:
Apocryphile wrote:

The prices posted were the non-discounted prices. Several times I had to remind waitstaff to take off the 10%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
Murfressboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
It's nice of them to build that hotel close to Hard 8.

Oh man. The Mrs. and I went there twice, it was so awesome.

That and Wataburger are now ingrained into my Con routine (Doris said she wanted to come back for a 3rd year! Wooo!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I'm certain I didn't get my 10% off despite wearing my badge. I didn't ask for the discount because I didn't know about it. Best to say you get 10% off if you ask for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Last year I'm certain I didn't get my 10% off despite wearing my badge. I didn't ask for the discount because I didn't know about it. Best to say you get 10% off if you ask for it.

I never had to ask and got it everytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
dwculp wrote:

This is a business-oriented hotel on the grounds of one of the busiest airports in the country; just the cost of the land they are on could probably build a dozen hotels in lower-priced parts of the country.

They have to amortize that somehow.

(I will grant that I have been desensitized by having lived most of my life in some of the most expensive parts of the country.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
(I will grant that I have been desensitized by having lived most of my life in some of the most expensive parts of the country.)

I think that the DFW area will probably be on a par with New York or Los Angeles within the next 25-50 years in terms of prices, and perhaps even in population, so I suppose we should enjoy the "reasonable shake prices" while we can! As board gamers unable to charge our hotel and meals to a fat corporate expense account credit card, however, we ourselves don't need to be defending the exorbitant prices - those charging them do a good enough job of that on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
so I suppose we should enjoy the "reasonable shake prices" while we can! As board gamers unable to charge our hotel and meals to a fat corporate expense account credit card, however, we ourselves don't need to be defending the exorbitant prices - those charging them do a good enough job of that on their own.

Let me flip the question around for you. What do you consider a reasonable price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.