En Garde» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Creating a monster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
I recently introduced Tashi to En Garde. As usual, she's caught on to the nuances of gameplay very quickly and is pushing me, a veteran of many successful matches, to the limit and beyond. In our game the other night she surged ahead 2-0 before I knew what was happening. I finally managed to get on the board, and in the fourth round, playing aggressively, I thought I had her on the ropes with an advance and double attack (two 2s) on her side of the piste. She couldn't possibly have two 2s, right? Right! She had three: double parry and attack and I'm down 3–1. Touché, indeed.

Refusing to give up, I won the next two rounds to even the match at three apiece. The sixth round featured an usual event, at least in my experience with this game: I managed to force Tashi off her end of the piste. Another unusual outcome immediately followed, which I think cost me the match. Toward the end of the round, comfortably into her territory, I had the choice of taking a slight risk with an advance and single attack or passively but seemingly safely retreating a bit. Uncharacteristically, I choose the latter: big mistake. Tashi advanced and attacked, I backed up some more, the cards ran out, and we ended up six spaces apart, each of us three spaces from the center of the piste: a tie!

Tashi won two of the next three rounds to win the match 5–4, a well-played, hard-earned victory. This is such a great game, and it's really a pleasure to play against such a skilled opponent.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.