Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I have to be clear that I didn't play the game yet but already order one via my local store.

However, after reading the rulebook, I find out that you can "recruit" and "attack" on the same turn with the same card, which make me wonder this mechanic will make the game easier?

Since, I played "Thunderstone" before and one of the mechanic is that you have to choose either to go to the "village" or "dungeon", which provide a little hard decision you have to make sometime.

Please share me your experience and what you think on the game, and winning ratio (only count on beating the mastermind, doesn't matter that you get the highest score or not) if possible.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very few (practically no) cards can both attack and recruit on the same turn.

that said, it's pretty easy to win the co op bit of the game, i'd say we win 75% or so. what matters, then, is who wins the mostest, by vp.

pcichigo wrote:
First of all, I have to be clear that I didn't play the game yet but already order one via my local store.

However, after reading the rulebook, I find out that you can "recruit" and "attack" on the same turn with the same card, which make me wonder this mechanic will make the game easier?

Since, I played "Thunderstone" before and one of the mechanic is that you have to choose either to go to the "village" or "dungeon", which provide a little hard decision you have to make sometime.

Please share me your experience and what you think on the game, and winning ratio (only count on beating the mastermind, doesn't matter that you get the highest score or not) if possible.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not very much like Thunderstone. You have to recruit and Attack on the same turn because the deck is actively moving against you, unlike Thunderstone where the monsters wait for you to do something about them.

That means that you could ignore the villains rampaging through the city, but they will also do damage to you if they escape.

The other difference is the schemes, which can significantly change how the cards interact with each other.

All that said, the base game has a lower difficulty than when you combine it with Dark City, but the game's rules include ways to make it more difficult written into them, and your choices of villains, mastermind, and heroes can impact how difficult a scheme is. For example, fighting the Brotherhood and Magneto with X-Men characters is significantly easier than without them, and fighting Loki and a Enemies of Asgard with Strength and ranged heroes is easier than not.

I can't recall exactly, but with all the expansions there are literally millions of ways to play this game. Add in a villains and those numbers just get ridiculous. Have fun!

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
All that said, the base game has a lower difficulty than when you combine it with Dark City

I keep seeing people saying DC makes the game harder, but apart from Apocalypse, what does it do that supposedly makes it harder? My stats say the complete opposite, DC made the game easier, especially the base Masterminds that for some reason were around 50% wins initially, have just take a dive (parenthesis numbers with just base):

Apocalypse: 5-6
Dr. Doom: 14-7 (6-4)
Kingpin: 11-0
Loki: 13-8 (5-5)
Magneto: 14-7 (6-4)
Mephisto: 11-0
Mr. Sinister: 10-1
Red Skull: 21-1 (9-1)
Stryfe: 9-2

Going 8-3 against Doom, Loki and Magneto, while barely getting 50% with just base after adding DC (since then F4 and PtTR also in the mix), that's not making it harder as far as I can see. Nor are the Masterminds from DC, except Apocalypse, any harder than their base game counterparts (excluding Apo, 3 losses in 44 games against them, pfft, that's coming close to Elder Sign "difficulty" shake ), even with Apocalypse, 46-9, that's way more than an easy record.

Same goes for Schemes that gave my fits with just base:

Portals to the Dark Dimension: 6-5 (1-4)
Super Hero Civil War: 4-7 (1-4)
The Legacy Virus: 5-6 (1-4)
Unleash the Power of the Cosmic Cube: 9-2 (3-2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Legendary is different than Thunderstone.

Legendary is a much faster game than Thunderstone. Legendary work similar to Thunderstone solo in that the villains constantly advance. When they escape, you take negative effects.

Also, the scheme twists will give you some negative effect that hurts you (how much depending on the scheme) and in addition, every scheme twist plays advances you towards losing the game in one way or another.

Then there are the master strikes who force you to take certain cards (example strength heroes vs loki or xmen vs magneto) or you take a huge penalty. This means that you need to balance out the odds of taking a hit to lowering your choice of building a deck.

In my opinion that's why Legendary is far superior.

Dam the Man wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
All that said, the base game has a lower difficulty than when you combine it with Dark City

Reasons why game is harder with Dark City:
1) Masterminds are tougher and their attacks can go up
2) Their tactics aren't always beneficial
3) Their penalties are more effective
4) Schemes are a lot harder.

Reasons why game is easier with Dark City:
1) Special bystanders give you a bonus
2) More heroes more chances of combo. This is very true for previously unsupported heroes.
3) More heroes more chances of getting the color you need. For example, the base game had a slim choice for greens which made Loki a lot harder than he is when you have so many other green choices.

So overall, it comes down to a question of what setup are you using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Reasons why game is harder with Dark City:
1) Masterminds are tougher and their attacks can go up

Apart from Apocalypse, no, they aren't tougher. Their win-loss is weaker than base Masterminds, I have to judge them by that and given their poor record, can't agree with DC having tougher Masterminds.

Quote:
2) Their tactics aren't always beneficial
3) Their penalties are more effective

They still don't hinder you much at all, certainly not enough to make you lose games (again, 41-3 record vs DC Masterminds minus Apo, that's WAY easier than base Masterminds)

Quote:
4) Schemes are a lot harder.

Again, disagree. Organized Crime Wave is the top dog of DC Schemes, that one is really tough, rest are pretty much on par with base Schemes. Stats for DC Schemes:

Capture Baby Hope: 6-0
Detonate the Helicarrier: 4-2
Massive Earthquake Generator: 5-1
Organized Crime Wave: 2-4
Save Humanity: 5-1
Steal the Weaponized Plutonium: 6-0
Transform Citizens Into Demons: 5-1
X-Cutioner's Song: 6-0

Apart from one tough and one decent (Helicarrier), I'd more or less call the rest cakewalks. Hell, base game had four Schemes that gave me fits, though "oddly", none of those four have been as tough since adding DC.

Quote:
2) More heroes more chances of combo. This is very true for previously unsupported heroes.

Yes, very much this. Would also hazard a guess that the heroes are generally stronger/more versatile (to say nothing of Versatile), though maybe that's just Spider-Man pulling down the base game's averages . But like Iceman, you can run a crazy-good deck with just his cards, don't need any other Ranged peeps in the mix, get one or two more Ranged with Iceman and even Apocalypse starts sweating.

Quote:
3) More heroes more chances of getting the color you need. For example, the base game had a slim choice for greens which made Loki a lot harder than he is when you have so many other green choices.

Color yes, but if you need someone from a certain team affiliation, chances have gotten slimmer. Kingpin seems to come up often without Marvel Knights (yet still haven't lost against him), while Sinister, requiring Covert, picking five random heroes, chances of having no red heroes are rather long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Your personal anecdotes mean absolutely nothing.
Not only are they taken from a single source, but they are also so tiny that they really don't matter.

Anything can make a scenario easy or difficult. Loki is objectively stronger than any of the base villains. But take the earthquake generator scheme against Thor, Hulk and Thing (all have a lot of greens) and it's a joke. Do the same against Magneto (No Xmen) and you'll have a tougher time.

So the fact that you got X out of Y really means absolutely nothing in such small numbers. 5-6 games means nothing.
Assuming we're talking solo play here (which we never even talked about number of players) so we're picking 3 heroes, that gives the base set the possibility of picking 560 possibilities of picking 3 heroes out of the 16 that come in the base set.

560 hero combos alone... That means you barely checked 1% of the possibilities. And I haven't even gotten to the randomness of the decks or your personal playing skills.

I'm not trying to be rude here or anything, but your data is simply meaningless thus I'm ignoring it.

Dam the Man wrote:

Apart from Apocalypse, no, they aren't tougher.

Sure they are. This is a fact.

Base game:
Red Skull (7)
Magneto (8)
Dr. Doom (9)
Loki (10)

Dark City are:
Stryfe (7+)
Mr.Sinister (8+)
Mephisto (10)
Apocalypse (12)
Kingpin (13*)

The range in Dark City is far greater since the weakest and strongest masterminds in Dark City are stronger than the base set.

Dam the Man wrote:

Again, disagree. Organized Crime Wave is the top dog of DC Schemes, that one is really tough, rest are pretty much on par with base Schemes. Stats for DC Schemes:

Not really. The Dark City schemes are greater because they have a greater risk and larger chances of evil to win as well as hindering you.

The base schemes are objectively easier because they:
1) Don't force you to play in a non-optimized way.
2) Don't have a lose condition that interacts with the game or hinders you as you progress.

For example, Cosmic Cube can be played against any combination and your playstyle will be exactly the same since it's just a clock ticking. Same for all of them.

The only exceptions are Legacy Virus and Civil War.
Civil War forces to think twice before buying (you don't want to speed up emptying the hero deck) and Legacy Virus forces you to avoid using wounds like Hulk, Loki's master strikes etc.

Dark Portals and Killbots increase the strength of villains on the city track but the numbers are too small to care.

Dark city on the other hand... Whole other story.
Save Humanity is probably the weakest but even that is much different than the base game. Less stuff to buy and reduce the amount of recruit you have since you need to buy the bystanders. Yellow heroes aren't uncommon, but you have to buy them instead of stuff you actually wanted -
Something that the base game doesn't do at all.

Quote:

Yes, very much this. Would also hazard a guess that the heroes are generally stronger/more versatile (to say nothing of Versatile), though maybe that's just Spider-Man pulling down the base game's averages

Not just Spiderman. Cyclops was terrible since his discard is always bad unless you have his non-common card. Add Dark City and you get more combos, like Angel or Iceman.

Storm works on locations in the city but nobody else can move cards in the base set until you got Blade in Dark City.

Wolverine works with wounds but can't make them. So it's combo with hulk or nothing. Dark City gives you more options, namely Colossus.

Thor works with greens and massive recruit. But most green recruit are either spiderman or cyclops both are bad combos for Thor. Add Dark City and you get a Iron First, Ghost Rider etc

Quote:
. But like Iceman, you can run a crazy-good deck with just his cards, don't need any other Ranged peeps in the mix, get one or two more Ranged with Iceman and even Apocalypse starts sweating.

This isn't different than Wolverine (base set), Black Widow, Iron Man etc
Most of the heroes you can work with solo will get you extremely powerful combos that can get you 20+ attack every turn late game.

Quote:

Color yes, but if you need someone from a certain team affiliation, chances have gotten slimmer. Kingpin seems to come up often without Marvel Knights (yet still haven't lost against him), while Sinister, requiring Covert, picking five random heroes, chances of having no red heroes are rather long.

That's because MK heroes are the smallest bunch, while Xmen are the highest count so far. Surely, you'd agree that Magneto is easier post dark city?

Sinister requires covert and you actually have more of a choice with dark city. Not less.

In the base game, cards only supported something they already were.
A card that required you to play an Xmen card was always Xmen itself.
A card that required you to play a blue card was always blue itself.

Dark city changed that as, for example, Elektra had yellow cards that required reds to work.

This means if you're going against a scenario that requires reds, like Mr.Sinister, in the base set you'd have to pick a lot of reds or the card is useless. However, in dark city, you can actually make an entire yellow deck with a couple of reds and still do better, since your solo red will still be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my recollections, DC masterminds also tend to be harder since their fight effects are almost always negative whereas the base masterminds tend to reward the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Locke
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really does depend on the Mastermind/Scheme combo, as well as the Heroes used. We throw ourselves at the mercy of the Randomizer, and certain combinations have been nearly unbeatable. Due to our tenaciousness, we have yet to give up on one (playing it until we win), but the actual winning percentage is very low for certain combos.

Sometimes, all we can do is laugh at what comes up randomly. Try Loki, Legacy Virus, and no Ranged Heroes. Throw in the Heralds, and with some luck, you might beat it. Wounds come so fast, it's hilarious. Lost count of the number of times we tried before winning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
5-6 games means nothing.

I'm not trying to be rude here or anything, but your data is simply meaningless thus I'm ignoring it.

So being 5-6 against Apocalypse vs being 11-0 against Kingpin, you'd flat-out rate them as same difficulty? Or like you write below, Kingpin is Attack 13*, that's more than Apocalypse's Attack 12, so Kingpin must be harder ?

Quote:
Assuming we're talking solo play here

No, 2-player, random selections.

Quote:
Dark City are:
Stryfe (7+)
Mr.Sinister (8+)
Mephisto (10)
Apocalypse (12)
Kingpin (13*)

The range in Dark City is far greater since the weakest and strongest masterminds in Dark City are stronger than the base set.

Only one that is guaranteed tougher is, surprise, Apocalypse. Stryfe at least goes up and stays up, unlike Sinister, who is knocked down each time you defeat him (his Tactics give him back Bystanders, but IME, less than he had before he got hit) and Kingpin's just a joke due to Bribe (Galactus similarly might be printed 20, but when attacking him 9 or 11 in most cases, if not less).

But with what the new hero possibilities bring to the table, even minor bumps to the Masterminds aren't enough.

Quote:
Dark city on the other hand... Whole other story.
Save Humanity is probably the weakest but even that is much different than the base game. Less stuff to buy and reduce the amount of recruit you have since you need to buy the bystanders. Yellow heroes aren't uncommon, but you have to buy them instead of stuff you actually wanted

But why should I care if I have to play sub-optimally, if the end result is still a win far more often than not? Having to tweak one's playstyle ultimately doesn't matter, not in terms of added difficulty if the bottom line is still a W instead of a L.

Quote:
This isn't different than Wolverine (base set), Black Widow, Iron Man etc
Most of the heroes you can work with solo will get you extremely powerful combos that can get you 20+ attack every turn late game.

Trouble with those, Wolvie and IM in particular, is that they have 0 Recruit cards, if you're wanting to thin out SHIELD starters, you'll have a hard time clawing up to their Uncommon (5-cost), with no chance of their Rare cards, while Iceman brings it all (Attack, Recruit, draw effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like 5 player is a much bigger challenge as you fall behind at the start, then have to play catch up to win. Unite the Shards from GOTG is very hard imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really thankful for all comments here. modest

You all really give me a good advice, suggestion, and fact.
After reading all comments, I planned to get the DC expansion soon when my base game is arrived.

It is good to here that the game is fun and challenging, I really wait forward to play it with my gaming group soon. Thank again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:

So being 5-6 against Apocalypse vs being 11-0 against Kingpin, you'd flat-out rate them as same difficulty?

No, I'm saying your 5-6 and 11 are both utterly meaningless to me.
You could say that you ahve 11-0 and 0-11 and I'd still ignore it.
11 games mean absolutely nothing as I pointed out the amount of combinations possible.

So by sheer numbers alone, that data means nothing to the discussion at hand. I'm not even getting into the problem of that of the vagueness of that data. For example, I have no idea if you're playing the game correctly, the level of the players involved if it's the same players (since you said 2 people), or if you're even using the exact same scenario.

Dam the Man wrote:

Or like you write below, Kingpin is Attack 13*, that's more than Apocalypse's Attack 12, so Kingpin must be harder ?

Of course not. I never said that. I was obviously trying to simplify things for an objective perspective.

The DC masterminds have higher attacks, negative tactics and more harmful master strikes compared that to their base set counterparts.

Some masterminds are cookie cutters while others are more unique so their evaluation is a bit different.

Kingpin, Apocalypse, Mysterio and Galactus's mechanics make them different but they are the exception not the rule.

Mysterio (8) is clearly weaker than Dr.Doom (9) as far as their fight scores go. But Mysterio might be required to be fought 9 times while Doom only 4. Add in his negative tactics as opposed to Doom's and you can see the scales tip in his favor as the stronger one.

Dam the Man wrote:

No, 2-player, random selections.

Which makes it even worse. I'm going by solo because it's easier to evaluate. Once you add even more players, it gets to a whole other level of how do they play together (or pvp).

Dam the Man wrote:

Only one that is guaranteed tougher is, surprise, Apocalypse.

I'm comparing the sets to each other.

I.E
Red Skull vs Stryfe
Magneto vs Sinister
Loki vs Mephisto

If you'll notice, those were picked thematically to match each other.
And each one is intentionally tougher than his base set counterpart.

Dam the Man wrote:
But why should I care if I have to play sub-optimally, if the end result is still a win far more often than not? Having to tweak one's playstyle ultimately doesn't matter, not in terms of added difficulty if the bottom line is still a W instead of a L.

I'm baffled by this comment.
That is the whole idea of this game. If you're playing sub-optimal you're by definition not playing at your best and the game gets tougher.

If this is tough enough, that's a whole other story.

But the point of the expansions schemes was to already limit you whereas the base set really did no such thing.

Dam the Man wrote:

Trouble with those, Wolvie and IM in particular, is that they have 0 Recruit cards, if you're wanting to thin out SHIELD starters, you'll have a hard time clawing up to their Uncommon (5-cost), with no chance of their Rare cards, while Iceman brings it all (Attack, Recruit, draw effects).

Don't get me wrong, as I've said myself several of the core heroes were awful without expanding them via dark city and yes there's a power creep level in there. I mean just compare Forge vs Iron man (even vs Mr.Fantastic).

It's that when you get the ball rolling, most heroes have some form of engine to work with. Iceman have recruit\attack + draw but Ironman has a lot more draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard pocklington
United States
California
flag msg tools
This game is definitely *not consistently easy*.

I have tried to put together setups both randomly and 'constructed' on the basis of a theme, putting together something challenging.

When I see people posting very high win ratios (75-100%), I expect they got there either by selecting specific heroes to counter the villains, or they fudged a bit along the way.

The variance in difficulty in the game can be easily configured once you know a little bit about the way it works. We have no trouble putting together a situation that is nearly impossible and which can beat us repeatedly, but if we switch up the hero deck a bit, or change scheme, its no problem to crush.

Posting 'win' ratios next to a Mastermind is not very meaningful, unless the scheme and heroes are also discussed. Villains and henchmen make a difference, but not as much.

We like to put together difficult situations, like Mephisto without any MK heroes and a theme that spits out wounds like candy.

There are some hero combinations that are incredibly powerful, and if those two heroes are found together, you can probably beat any villain. Angel/Cyclops, Bishop/Invisible Woman, Jean Grey/Black Widow are some good ones.

We have tried a lot of combinations, and definitely recommend playing around with things like Storm/Blade/MoonKnight to see how much action you can make happen on the rooftops.

Hero line ups which overlap a lot in color can also be really powerful, eg. Rogue/Thing/Colossus or Iron Man/Mr Fantastic/Forge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Tomer, has anyone commented on your thoughts regarding Cyclops being bad?

I love his cards. Yes, you have to discard when playing them, but far more often than not I find I have a card or two that isn't going to do anything for me, like a Wound or excess recruit or attack. Isn't that more than made up for by them so being cheap to recruit? Optic Blast is merely OK, but I adore Determination. Something with 3 Recruit that only costs 2 has come in really, really handy time and time again, because when I play at least, the early game is the toughest, and reducing your period of growing pains is very much in your best interest.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I genuinely wonder if I'm missing something or if your games are much different from mine. I'll assume your experience is more valid because while I'm very good at statistical math, I have played exactly one multiplayer game with one other player. I have to play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keel Curtis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like Cyclops a lot as well. His discarding style is made up for by the fact that his cards are quite cheap. Very good in the early game particularly. Later on he's not as good, but by then you've hopefully gotten a few of his cards that are immune to discarding.

As for difficulty, who cares? If you find the game too easy, there are myriad ways to make it tougher without much trouble. +1 to villain strength, +1-3 to Mastermind strength, play another Villain deck card when you play a Plot Twist or Master strike, etc.

Has anyone come up with ways to make the late game tougher? I've found that for most plots, once you can get the Villain lane under control, you will probably win. I was thinking of increasing the Mastermind's power as they are defeated, that's pretty simple. Anything more elegant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Keel, I'd immediately agree with you that the game's difficulty all but disappears in the late game. I haven't done anything about it, but others have:

1) Someone (I don't recall who) adds 1D4 (the result of a roll with a four-sided die, if you're unfamiliar with Role Playing Game terminology) to the attack power of a Mastermind each time he's defeated. He always uses this when fighting Magneto, Red Skull and maybe Doctor Doom.

2) At least one person made custom tactic cards to enhance the power of the basic set Masterminds. They make the game far tougher.

3) If you haven't tried the Villains set, it's head and shoulders tougher than the Basic Set (I only have the basic and Villains sets, so I can't comment on the others). Some Ally (Villains set lingo for hero) are weaker than the basic set, but it's mostly because the Commanders (Masterminds) are crazy buff and the Adversaries (Villains) are quite powerful, too. A Basic Game scheme led by Nick Fury or Odin will be a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keel Curtis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just got Villains, only have one play so far. It certainly seemed to have more potential for nastiness.

I did lose a solo game today. Apocalypse/Save Humanity with Spider-man, Nick Fury, and Deadpool. Part of the problem is that Spider-man pretty much sucks. And I wasn't getting the good Nick Fury cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
Spidey works well with low cost cards, and DC and PttR really help that with heroes with 2 or less recruit cost. You can't really use Spidey with hard hitters that cost more.

A deck of 2 or less cards, you can draw your entire deck each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captaink wrote:
I did lose a solo game today. Apocalypse/Save Humanity with Spider-man, Nick Fury, and Deadpool. Part of the problem is that Spider-man pretty much sucks. And I wasn't getting the good Nick Fury cards.

I wouldn't even touch Spidey in that setup, all his draws are stopped by any other hero from the HQ, who in turn have no draw effects. Would hope Villains escape so could KO Spideys from HQ without having them in the deck to weaken it. DP's 5-cost cards would be the way to go IMO, use Cover Nick to clear out all starting SHIELD, leaving you with DP that has 2 Attack plus 1 for each odd-cost card played before (Maria Hill, Tech Nick, DP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Tsallak wrote:
Tomer, has anyone commented on your thoughts regarding Cyclops being bad?

Cyclops common cards are not totally horrible if you take very few of them.
But ultimately they really aren't worth it in the long run without his higher end cards.

Sure, they are cheap, but in the longer run, the discard will hurt you more - unless you either have his uncommon card or a discardable card like Angel or Green Goblin.

The difference between Cyclops and the other heroes is that they aren't dependent on their uncommon\rare so much. Usually the rare card will give you massive power once its yours but the lower end cards will also be helpful in the longer run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really what the thread is about anymore, but I did eventually transfer my logged plays to a spreadsheet and calculated my game stats.

Win percentage: 64.6%
Wins: 62
Losses: 27
Draws: 7 (probably higher since I didn't always specify the match's loss condition)

(Incidentally, the VAST majority of my plays are solo and I've only ever used the advanced solo rules for them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Really? I'm not so sure. I hope someone else will weigh in here.

Cyclops is far more buff with Unending Energy, to say nothing of X-Men United. And I too place far more value on commons than uncommons and rares for the simple reason that you're less likely to get them. But is Cyclops helped more by his rarer cards than Thor or Storm or Iron Man or are they less effective than the others' commons? I don't think so.

I don't question for a heartbeat that Cyclops cards aren't always beneficial; the drawback exists for good reason. And his Optic Blast card isn't nearly as buff as Determination; more than a few other attacking cards can do as well without the discard effect if a deck is made carefully. I just think that the benefit beats the drawback more often than not, and value it especially in cutting down your growing pains period I referred to earlier.

What do you others think about Cyclops or the effectiveness of those other heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.