Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: What to buy ? AvX vs UX balanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What and how much of this do I need to buy to play a normal, balanced game. Other threads like this are a bit chaotic for me. Only thing I found out was the statement that starter sets are generally better than boosters - so is it good to buy 1starter of Avengers vs X-men and 1starter of Uncanny X-men ?

Are they balanced with each other to play one starter vs another? Or rather are the characters balanced ? So lets say - can you draw from those 2 starter cards/dice character pool randomly and play ?

Or I'm all wrong and should just buy 1 starter and 14 (price equivalent of a starter) boosters from the same set for it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely random characters is a bad idea. Many strategies require characters with a mix of energy types and energy costs to be effective and random won't give you that.

You definitely need at least one starter set, they have stuff required to play that is not in the boosters. The starters do have some pretty good characters, too. You probably want one of each starter and however many boosters you're willing to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this were me, I would buy both starters, especially if you're able to actually get your hands on an AvX one right now. Worry about expanding each set later with either boosters or complete sets from private sellers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rose
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
IMHO, Uncanny is simply a better game. More useful characters, fewer useless characters, much better balance. Only issue I might have for beginners is that you need to buy some boosters to find a Professor X common, he is a game changer.

A good option if you are not interested in dropping loads on booster packs is to buy a starter and then grab a set of common (and uncommon?) with dice off ebay. Probably looking at a total of $30-35 invested for an awful lot of variety and a great game experience. If you think you are in for the long haul, you probably just want to get a starter and spend as much money as you want on boosters. You will complete a set of commons fairly quickly buying boosters so buying a full set on ebay is redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I bought about 28 Boosters for UXM and I'm 6 commons short of a full set. Professor X - Recruiting Young Mutants being one of them.

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W C
msg tools
mb
I just got the UX starter set, I've not played the game yet. The AvX starter on Amazon is crazy expensive at $45 for some reason =(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiroi98 wrote:
I just got the UX starter set, I've not played the game yet. The AvX starter on Amazon is crazy expensive at $45 for some reason =(

It's because it's currently not in production (as far as I know) and it's basically out of stock everywhere. Those who do have some for sale are asking a premium for it because it's hard to find at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpidermanGeek wrote:
Shiroi98 wrote:

It's because it's currently not in production (as far as I know) and it's basically out of stock everywhere. Those who do have some for sale are asking a premium for it because it's hard to find at the moment.

In PL boosters from AvX are no longer avalaible but starters are in every online store with non-video games (that I know). Avengers are even cheaper than Uncanny starters (50 to 55pln).
Maybe some EU stores have free (or cheap) shipping to US.

I wonder, how many characters need more than 2 dice to be effective ?
And how many are good enough to be deployed when you have only 1 dice for them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.