Popular Tags: [View All]
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my husband has decided that the reason he doesn't play games with me is because he doesn't like the one player vs the other play competitive game experience. Our collection has quite a number of games that are two player or play two players really well and he has decided he doesn't like them. I'm looking to find games that he would be willing to play with me.

We have Ghost Stories, Yggdrasil and Pandemic. I'm not looking for another cooperative game that fits that type of cooperation or is similar. We also already have Hanabi, Elder Sign and Space Alert.

We want games that we would cooperate and will play two players really well, but with a unique edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read your post 3 times and I'm still not sure if I fully understand what you're looking for but you could try Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game which is somewhere in the middle of the way between competitive and cooperative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
Let the count down to UKGE begin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago allows you to work together to find the location of treasures but then competing against each other to get the better treasure.

I've played it with 2 players and it worked well. not tried with 3/4 players but I imagine it would be more competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is a deck builder that can be played cooperatively against the Nemesis Beast and Pirates of the Dark Star challenges.

Defenders of the Realm plays somewhat like Pandemic, but with lots of miniatures and dice rolling, so it has a different feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll add a couple communication without words games. ...and then, we held hands. and The Ravens of Thri Sahashri.

Both coop, both kinda interesting. One is a pnp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D
United States
Dover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
When you feel the ground rumble, know an OGRE is coming.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife feels the same way as your husband it sounds. Her favorite game right now, to work together and feel like we over came something is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Some people love it some people hate it. I am on the love side of it. The downside to 2 players is that someone will control more than 1 hero. But we love doing that, and most of the time we both control 2 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
You might look into co-op adventure games such as Mice and Mystics or (not for the fainthearted) Myth. Also consider low-interaction competitive games (effectively race games) such as DungeonQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

There's more than a few solo games available that work well in a joint decision fashion. Not sure if you're interested thematically, but Field Commander: Alexander or The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 fit this sort of bill well. I had a great time with FC Alexander with my oldest son.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe is a very nice co-op game with a nicely embedded narrative guided by events and your decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar problem with my wife. She likes to play and do here own thing to win, but she dislike the 'I screw your strategy if I take this space/action for my own benefit'. So, in another word, she would prefer multiplayer solitaire or cooperative games, but then I tried coop games and she disliked it because she couldn't beat me straight... ha... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game is a fantastic cooperative game. It plays like a hollywood military action movie, plays within an hour (after the pre-game squad building aspect) and has really simple rules that don't tax your brain; it's a really cool experience and it might draw your husband in. Disclaimer: I am not a military/gun nut

Another game I played with a fellow BGGer recently was Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game which is an excellent co-op deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousquetaires du Roy is a wonderful game, and though normally one player plays the adversary, Milady, there is a file here on BGG that someone has kindly uploaded to play cooperatively against an "AI" Milady.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you both like The Lord Of The Rings, then it's a no-brainer... play 'The Lord of the Rings Living Card Game' by FFG (The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game). It's designed primarily for two player co-op. The core game, right of the box, offers a very immerssive and rewarding two player experience set in the LotR universe. It's the two of you against the enemy! The cool thing is that each of you are doing your own thing and utilizing your own strategy , but in concert with each other. The fun part is discovering the synergies between the two of you that when combined, will deliver a blow to the enemy or yield advancement of your quest.

Also, if you're really only a fan of the movies, there's an expansion series which has scenarios taken directly from, and meant to mirror, the LotR movie trilogy.

Now if you know that you don't like card games, well then of course this isn't the game for you. But if you like LOTR, and don't know whether or not you like card games, then for $28 you can't go wrong to at least give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.