Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!

I have been mulling over this for some time and finally decided to create a Vassal module for Mecanisburgo - mainly because I already have the necessary graphics for it (i.e. scanned cards, all icons recreated in SVG vector form etc.).

I have asked Servando for general consent and also if he can share the original game board image for this - and he agreed to the module and told me he will try to get the game board image for me. I have already taken a picture of the board halves and stitched them together as best as I could, but there are still imperfections - so if Servando can find the original, that would save me much work and also look better than I ever could make it.

The module itself should not pose much trouble, as it is basically a common deck of cards, player hands (secret), player boards (visible) and some tokens on the game board and player boards (with money being done as a simple counter for each player instead of individual tokens).

As I go along, are there any features you would like the module to have? I can say upfront that I am not versed in Java, so any custom Java functions and classes are a no go for me. The only things that could be implemented are those that are innate to Vassal - i.e. all the properties of cards/tokens, interactions, status reporting etc.

For instance I can imagine that showing names of all the card classes/professions/skills/traits in text form next to the card popups (while hovering over them with the mouse) would be helpful, at least for beginning players, to connect them better to all the icons on the cards.

Currently I cannot come up with more examples, because there are not that many "automation-friendly" features in the game (but most likely I am missing something, so suggest away!).

As to when something playable can be had - hard to say, but I hope I can have an Alpha version ready until Christmas, maybe even sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small update - below is the (more or less final, details are being added in) image of the Game board and MP Tracker (kudos goes to ScottE for his wonderful graphics!!!), that I intend to use in the Mecanisburgo Vassal module.

Scott, can I use your graphics from some of the sheets and stuff you made for Mecanisburgo?

I intend to "glue" the MP tracker on the left side of the board itself and make them a single image for in-game purposes, while the boards from the expansion will be an optional setup option and will reside on the right side (again, I have the underlying template that ScottE made and will scan into it the actual boards soon).

MP cards will not be used in the Vassal module and instead all the necessary info will reside on the MP track. That is why I expanded Scott's image to the left and am adding the missing info from his other MP tracker (the one-time effects besides the VP reward that is already on the tracker).

Besides the game board each player will have their own hand (secret) and their corporation board (which will be public).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joe! Sure, feel free to use whatever you need from the ref files I've made.

Good job so far! I've never used Vassal but glad to hear you are creating one for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Scott! I hope Vassal will enable me to play the game after all whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update - WIP of the Planet Board, I am adding vector icons and parts of the boards for the quality to remain high (for instance the spaces for pawn placement, all skill/trait icons, names, Director spaces etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All thumbs up for VSmodule.. If any play (guess the very first one ever) I'm so in gents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could join you, but everything is blocked at my work so unless you fancy waiting for four days between some turns, I can't be part of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx guys! I definitely want to play games with this once it will actually be playable - and Alec, I do not mind waiting longer for a part of a turn as well, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
You may regret that! Well, count me in but I am a VASSAL virgin too.
Maybe I'll actually get some plays of Mecanisburgo with the other four fans in the world, at long last!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update - the expansion Planet board layout is complete, there is just one outstanding question (in the sister thread). See below how the Planet board looks like.

I redrew all the boxes and inserted my vector icons in there. Yes, the image loses a bit of the original blend, but on the other hand this will be more crisp for gaming purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Created player tokens, based on the design from ScottE (again whistle), but did not make them round and instead a bit oval - to better fit the oval spaces on the board. They also look good on the MP track on the left side, even though those spaces are round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update on the MP Tracker - now finalized and redrawn with all the icons and text...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Chambers
Canada
Alliston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks great so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Steve!

Progress report

Working slowly on the Mecanisburgo module, mainly because through the process I am also learning the ins and outs of Vassal module design - from scratch that is.

I have usually no trouble with updating existing modules and adding functionality to them, but creating one from the grounds up is much more work. Mostly because you have to set up all the framework, hands, ownership, card interaction, correct graphic sizes, zones and grids for alignment, action reporting and relationships between all the pieces.

I am currently working on creating the prototypical Player hand + Tableau and working on/testing how to deal, play, discard cards etc. It is not THAT hard to do all this in itself, the most costly thing is the time requirement for me - I work in pieces and that is what is slowing the progress down considerably. But no fret! I will have this completed this year whistle

EDIT: An image of the BION Tableau for you guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.