Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Please help me decide...
Deus and Imperial Settlers: both work with max 4 players (which is kind of a bummer) and feel (from watching videos) similar. Play card, discard/raze cards. From this I take it Imperial Settlers will have more player interaction since you can raze other players' building.
How important is the map for Deus?
Looking at the cards Deus seem language independent since under the text there are "drawings" of what the card does. How dependent is Imperial Settlers.
How much would you say the games are luck dependent.

Historia seems rather nice too, less luck factor as I see it. Plays more players too.

For what I have seen, I think I will like the gameplay of all 3. Deus does look like a bit lighter game though.

It seems to me that Deus might suffer from no apparent catch up mechanism if you get the right cards to play. It seems like those if you get ahead no one can get you. How about the other ones?

Help me decide please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why not give underplayed games some love. Try Mage Knight Board Game 10 solid plays and then decide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddtime wrote:

I have it and we like it, but it almost never gets played. Too time consuming for most people in my group... too heavy for some ( too much text for them I guess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer - I haven't played Imperial Settlers. And from the reactions of a few friends who have, that is unlikely to change. I have played 2-3 games each of Historia and Deus, so I am no expect on either game, but here are my views for what they are worth.
zippystar wrote:
Hello,
Please help me decide...
Deus and Imperial Settlers: both work with max 4 players (which is kind of a bummer) and feel (from watching videos) similar.
As you've noted Historia is for up to six; if you play it with fewer than the maximum, I would recommend adding in game-controlled players (called "civbots"); they add almost nothing to the playing time but mix things up a bit.

Deus is one of those games that I would not want to play with more than four; as there is no direct interaction between the players (in terms of trading, drafting etc) during the turn, I would worry about downtime waiting for my turn to come around if I was trying to play with 5 or 6.

Quote:
Play card, discard/raze cards. From this I take it Imperial Settlers will have more player interaction since you can raze other players' building.

There's a fair amount of indirect interaction in Deus and Historia. Position on the board is pretty important in Deus, and once you find yourself hemmed in you have to change and adapt your approach to deal with that fact. In Historia the map is less important, but the interaction is actually higher as you're constantly needing to both balance where you are on the tech chart as well as thinking about who might end the round early.

Quote:
How important is the map for Deus?

Pretty important IME. Not quite as vital as it is in Terra Mystica (which has some superficial similarities), but where you are on the board goes hand-in-glove with which building cards will benefit you the most.
Quote:

Looking at the cards Deus seem language independent since under the text there are "drawings" of what the card does. How dependent is Imperial Settlers.

I can't answer for Imperial Settlers; in Deus it will take a game or so to understand what the icons are actually representing; so far, everyone I have played with has left the text exposed on the cards as that is easier for them to understand, but I don't expect this to be a long-term thing.
Quote:
How much would you say the games are luck dependent.

There is inevitably some luck in Deus, though a good player will manage their hand to accomodate it. If you spend the game without seeing any cards of one particular colour you have to adapt to that, but you might struggle to do as well as a player who gets to see an even spread of cards. I'm not sure on this point, though, until I've played some more.
Quote:
Historia seems rather nice too, less luck factor as I see it. Plays more players too.

Less luck, but a longer game. And although players will take more actions, I wonder if there are that many important decisions in Historia to make the extra play length worthwhile. As far as I can tell, the decisions a player makes in Historia aren't all that important, coming down to three critical things - which Wonders to build, when to call revolution and end the round, and whether to prioritize military advancements over scientific ones. And FWIW, that last one seems to be answered with "go for military" a lot of the time.
Quote:
For what I have seen, I think I will like the gameplay of all 3. Deus does look like a bit lighter game though.

I'm not sure that any of them are all that light. They are none of them the heaviest games that you will encounter, but neither are they lightweights. Heavy-ish middleweights, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

So can I take that as +1 Deus?

I didn't really consider the time for Historia that much, but I guess 2 hours of play card, play card, play card, + probably the same cycle since you combo it your way might, be a bit too... unimaginative.

We do enjoy Concordia but we haven't managed to come up with a definitive cycle to play the cards (you other players move mess you up). While in Historia, your cycle, would mainly depend on the wonder you get (for max efficiency)...

How unique are the Deus cards? 16 of each type judging from the component description but, 16 unique ones or 4x4 or like 5+4+3+2+2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I'd call it a *tentative* +1 for Deus. Out of the three games listed, anyway.

I'd actually propose a "something else" - I've really enjoyed my 6+ games of Hyperborea so far. It scratches a similar sort of itch - build a tableau of powers and abilities (by combining the tech cards you research with the cubes that get added to your bag and the hexes on the board that you think you can get to). It's a *little* shorter than Historia in my experience, with more interaction (direct and indirect) and (it seemed to me, anyway) more decisions. Where it might lose out for some is that you might run into downtime issues, especially if you have more than three players playing their first game or two. I know that *I* can now think out my likely moves pretty quickly, and that includes the activation of city spaces, but some turns for some players can be quite slow.

Most of the Deus cards have duplicates in the deck (IIRC); I'm not sure as to quite how they break down, though. I'm pretty sure that the military (red/pink) cards are something like 4 copies of 4 different cards, but some of the other card types seem more varied. What I do know is that you cant guarantee getting what you want (you may never draw it, or someone else might have built most of them already), and often you end up having to discard a card that you'd like to build in order to generate some other effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.