6 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Unfair cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone have cards that they ban in their casual play, since they are too strong for their card pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Stasis and that cycle of cards in Urza's Destiny that exiled cards from the game (Eradicate, Sowing Salt and so on) was frowned upon back in the days. But it's a long time ago, so I don't know what we'd dislike these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every card has a counter to it, it's just a matter of know what that counter is. However, this being said I have one casual group where everyone seems to have one Emrakul or other Eldrazi Titan in their decks. It began as a way to beat one guy's obnoxious mill decks... and now has become a different kind of issue. There are times when it's basically a race to see who can cast their eldrazi first. We have joked about banning them, but the other solution was easier... play different decks for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Casual is really what you make of it. This is why I like Commander as built casually and with only 1/100 copy of each card, even powerful cards don't come consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My casual group (which mostly focuses on commander) uses the official banned list for that format.

However, we also generally frown upon global land-destruction (Armageddon, etc); and taking infinite extra turns.

When it comes to casual, the important thing is to talk about what you think is good, bad, or ugly, and see if you can get some kind of consensus with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Mike
msg tools
mb
I only ask that people I play with pick a format, any format, and have the deck adhere to that format.

If power cards are really a concern, constructed may not be for you. There are many casual limited formats to try such as cube, live draft, stack, solomon draft, and more.

Edit: If your deck is too powerful, just remember the first rule of casual magic: no one is obligated to play with you. If you aren't fun to play with, you'll soon have no one to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.