Subject: Rape Jokes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No art form should have arbitrary limitations on it.

In theory, I agree, but what are you calling arbitrary limitations?

I personally don't like rape jokes. I don't think they should be illegal or anything, but I'm less likely to go to the show of a comedian who uses them. If enough people agree with me that making rape jokes will harm someone's career, is that an arbitrary limitation? It's very unlikely that I will ever tell someone that under no circumstances should they make a particular kind of joke, but that doesn't mean I'll approve every joke they make, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
Funny enough it was Hannibal Buress making rape jokes...

I don't know his comedy well, but I don't believe you have this accurate. He didn't make jokes about rape, he called Cosby a rapist as part of an extended bit about Cosby in his act. There's quite a difference.

Quote:
I think it's ok to joke about Rape.

I think that it's a pretty dangerous area for a comedian to explore. It's almost guaranteed to ignite controversy and alienate some people. But it's not clear what you mean here - is it OK to include rape as a topic in a comedy act? Or is it OK to make jokes about committing or being subjected to rape?

A really good comedian might be able to pull either off. But only a really good one. And if the comedian's going to take a shot at the latter, then they're going to be walking on really, really thin ice.

Quote:
No art form should have arbitrary limitations on it.

Did someone propose a law or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
To me if you're not willing to joke about it you're clearly not taking it seriously enough.

This is so mind-jarringly incomprehensible that it's like an erupting boil on someones face so bad that you can't look at the rest of the person. I can't comprehend what else you are trying to say because I can think of so many situations where this is not only patently false, but borderline abusive and it is totally distracting me from your point.

If the Mayor of Cleveland doesn't make a joke about the 12 year old kid that was shot by a cop this weekend we can conclude he isn't taking it seriously enough? Or should he just make jokes about kids in general getting shot by cops? Or maybe he needs to wait a month or so for the current emotions to go down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I told my workmate a joke about rape and he said, "Mate, if you think making jokes about rape is funny then you're wrong. My wife got raped and trust me, it's not funny."

Feeling slightly ashamed, I said, "Sorry. When did this happen?"

"Last week," he replied.

I paused for a moment.

"Behind the bus station?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Er... no reason."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people should be able to joke about anything...but some jokes are a bad choice.

On rape, I think Louis CK has done some really funny jokes -- like the one about the groupie who wanted rough, forceful sex but didn't want to have to explain what she wanted.

A lot of rape jokes, on the other hand, seem to get all or a significant amount of their humor at the expense of people who have been raped, or trivialize rape for a cheap laugh.

Painful subjects are often great sources of humor. As John Cleese once put it, humor is about rage. Humor can confront painful topics and serve a useful purpose in doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
Well if you're not familiar with the original debate you may not see where I'm coming from. No one passed a law... obviously, but it became much more dangerous to do it.

I don't think it's any more dangerous one way or another. I think the Buress bit didn't do much to change anything about rape as a subject, but about Bill Cosby.

Quote:
I am familiar with Hannibal Buress. I own all of his albums and like his comedy well enough. The joke he was making about Cosby was essentially; 'Oh you come out in public acting like we can't wear baggy pants or say mother fuckers... but look at you! You're a rapist Bill Cosby so maybe your advice isn't so good.'

If you're calling that a "rape joke," then I think your definition is too broad. The Carlin bit posted is more "rape jokes," the Buress bit is is a slam at Cosby that, if anything, puts a very negative flavor to rape. And even he's not really joking about rape as much as he's slamming rapists. But I don know people who find it distasteful.

I don't know Lindy West at all or why here particular view of rape humor or content discussing rape is relevant. I think that it's a very touchy subject one way or another and even things like the Buress bit is dangerous for a comedian. If someone hadn't heard of the Cosby allegations (which many hadn't until very recently), it's likely to cause a knee-jerk negative reaction.

Any artist is free to do what they want. And Lindy West or whoever wants to criticize them for it is free to do that, too. Were I a comedian, I'd be just as hesitant to include jokes about rape as I would a subject like the Holocaust or school shootings. It might work, but it could also turn into a massive problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:

Also, for what it's worth, studies have shown that 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape.

Beat me by two minutes on the best rape joke I've ever heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
That's my way of dealing with things and I find it cathartic.

Ok, Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think that we (meaning I) should commercially endorse comics who exploit uncomfortable awkward laughing just to get laughs. Unless they are a rape victim who needs to tell the same rape joke every night on a comedy tour to feel better. That sounds like a personal defense mechanism, not a source of entertainment. If you make a joke during a cathartic monologue about your experience in the hopes of not only helping yourself, but others I could understand. Just plucking the strings on non-rape-experienced 2 drink minimum crowds seems exploitive. I get that some comics edge is that they turn laughter on it's head to make people think about serious things, but that is a certain case and a certain situation and I don't think we should make general approve disapprove judgements on rape jokes based on social commentary draped in a comedy facade.

My point is, at that point is it humor anymore? Or just a rhetorical device? Intent is everything. I can talk about the dog puke/sex video at the dinner table to watch people squirm, but it's not because I am taking it seriously, it would just be for the sadism of it.

Speaking of dead bables and rape, the following song is uncomfortable. It's supposed to be. It's not supposed to be entertaining, it's supposed to make you think outside a certain box by shocking you. Done in a 50's style (punked up) adds even more "thought food" about how we perceive the Good Old Days. The video uploader played this up by setting the song to an old dance video.

"Last Caress" by The Misfits (later covered by Metallica)

I got something to say
I killed your baby today
And it doesn't matter much to me
As long as it's dead

Well I got something to say
I raped your mother today
As long as she spread

Sweet lovely death
I am waiting for your breath
Come sweet death, one last caress

Go

Sweet lovely death
Come sweet death, one last caress

Well, I got something to say
I killed your baby today
As long as it's dead

Sweet lovely death
Come sweet death
One last caress

One last caress, sweet death
One last caress, sweet death

Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Thank goodness for this thread! I hadn't been gotten my fix in a while. I don't think the cast is complete for this thread yet. We need at least 5 pages about the Dickwolves, and Gary has to tell us about one of his female acquaintances who loves rape jokes. And where's the Sarah Silverman and Louis CK clips? Chop, chop, people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one of my jokes that I've used in my stand-up act occasionally:

-----

I got a phone call asking for donations to the South Bay Rape Crisis Center.

The woman when into her scripted pitch:

"The South Bay Rape Crisis Center has been servicing the South Bay area since 1988..."

Wait.

You've been servicing the South Bay area? You were supposed to be serving the South Bay area.

Maybe that's why there's a rape crisis.

-----

As you can see, it's not so much a rape joke as a grammar joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Here is one of my jokes that I've used in my stand-up act occasionally:

-----

I got a phone call asking for donations to the South Bay Rape Crisis Center.

The woman when into her scripted pitch:

"The South Bay Rape Crisis Center has been servicing the South Bay area since 1988..."

Wait.

You've been servicing the South Bay area? You were supposed to be serving the South Bay area.

Maybe that's why there's a rape crisis.

-----

As you can see, it's not so much a rape joke as a grammar joke.

I think the joke needs to end with:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dick wolves cartoon made me laugh. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mlcarter815 wrote:

That's a good start, but we still need Gary and his fictitious women to weigh in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Oh joy. Another rape thread. Fuck, RSP, can't we just leave this garbage alone?

There have been other rape threads? Really? I must have missed them. Could you please sum up the general consensus from them, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

That's a good start, but we still need Gary and his fictitious women to weigh in.

The dick wolves cartoon was a funny joke about the absurdity of fetch quests in MMOs. It's the follow up statements that are the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've concluded there is just something mentally wrong with some people here.

We don't discuss

Serial Killer Jokes
25 worst Torture methods Jokes
Dead Baby Jokes
Pro Nazi Jokes
Anti-Semitic Jokes
Evil Bible Story Jokes
Evil Dictator Jokes
Sleeping with your Best Friend's SO Jokes.
Murder Jokes

But for some reason over the last three years, it's discussion after discussion about rape jokes. Some of the discussions have been vile and repugnant.

And here we are again with people posting rape jokes and people thumbing them to indicate they enjoyed the rape joke or thought it was a good rape joke.

As far as I recall, they are not being routed here from random people around BGG but start here.

I mostly just ignore them these days.

One person in my life was raped. A man with hose on his face came into her private office, tied her up at gun point, raped her and hit her several times and left her there alone until she was discovered.

That one event pretty much ruined her life.

Now- feel free to continue with your obsessively repetitive god damn "jokes" about rape. It's a free country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mlcarter815 wrote:
she2 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

The dick wolves cartoon was a funny joke about the absurdity of fetch quests in MMOs. It's the follow up statements that are the issue.

Good, good, let the Force flow through you. Now we're getting somewhere with this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes art forms should have limitations, and I shall not list the kind of slippery slope extreme examples that spring to mind when ever I hear this bollocks.

But I cannot be but reminded of the kinds of vileness this argument has been used to try and justify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I've concluded there is just something mentally wrong with some people here.

We don't discuss

Serial Killer Jokes
25 worst Torture methods Jokes
Dead Baby Jokes
Pro Nazi Jokes
Anti-Semitic Jokes
Evil Bible Story Jokes
Evil Dictator Jokes
Sleeping with your Best Friend's SO Jokes.
Murder Jokes

But for some reason over the last three years, it's discussion after discussion about rape jokes. Some of the discussions have been vile and repugnant.

And here we are again with people posting rape jokes and people thumbing them to indicate they enjoyed the rape joke or thought it was a good rape joke.

As far as I recall, they are not being routed here from random people around BGG but start here.

I mostly just ignore them these days.

One person in my life was raped. A man with hose on his face came into her private office, tied her up at gun point, raped her and hit her several times and left her there alone until she was discovered.

Now- feel free to continue with your obsessively repetitive god damn "jokes" about rape. It's a free country.

I have a few good dead baby jokes, but nobody has started a thread for that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I have a few good dead baby jokes, but nobody has started a thread for that yet.

We did have a tasteless joke thread (last year?) that had pretty good dead baby coverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the absurdity of MMO rescue quests was a great topic for a cartoon but that they added something to it in the name of absurdity that turned it from being about the rescue quests to being about rape. Kind of like, not exactly like, but kind of like a certain scientist wearing a certain shirt turning his life from being about landing on a comet to being about a shirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Fuck, RSP,

Is it consensual? Just saying ...

maxo-texas wrote:

That's nice, but you left out the bit where this friend was so important the remaining 6.9 billion people on the planet have to walk on eggshells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
JonJacob wrote:

or bjillo and his being sick with rape joke threads (I've never seen one before but I guess that's because I don't spend all day every day on fucking RSP... that's your problem buddy, not mine).

Technically, he said he's sick of rape THREADS generally, not specifically rape joke threads. I think there are at least three ongoing in some form right this minute.

JonJacob wrote:

People are free to say what they like, that's fine, but when you start judging others for not feeling the same way that you do because of your experiences... you're the asshole, not me. I can like these jokes and I'm not hurting anyone, I'm not insulting anyone... there is no real victim.

At this point in our culture if you don't like the idea of offensive jokes you can easily avoid them. You can easily research any comedian before you see them. You don't need to see them.

Okay, but do we need yet another thread to discuss their merits? I always wonder what possesses people to start a thread about how indignant they are that some person in their life didn't appreciate their joke. Get over yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would somebody please beat that guy up? He won't retaliate with weapons, so go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.