Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Autothrusters is AWESOME!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just read the leak for autothrusters. Able to change a blank result into an evade if out of a firing arc or beyond range 2! Welcome back tie interceptors!!! Fel is back to being awesome again! It is only a 2pt upgrade, and with royal guard upgrade, able to take that plus another modification. Anyone else REALLY excited about this card? Plus the fact that the star viper looks like a lot of fun to fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a nice benefit to A-Wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:

Now I know what those card boxes given out at tournaments are for: moving your A-wing squad from table to table. Every A-wing in your squad requires (1) pilot card, (2) Chardaan Refit (or Proton Rocket), (3) A-wing test pilot, (4) Autothrusters, (5) Push the Limit, and (6) whatever other EPT you want to use to "customize" your A-wing (e.g. Outmaneuver or Opportunist or Predator or Expert Handling or whatever). Put 2 or 3 A-wings in a squad and that's quite the stack of cards you're moving around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

Now I know what those card boxes given out at tournaments are for: moving your A-wing squad from table to table. Every A-wing in your squad requires (1) pilot card, (2) Chardaan Refit (or Proton Rocket), (3) A-wing test pilot, (4) Autothrusters, (5) Push the Limit, and (6) whatever other EPT you want to use to "customize" your A-wing (e.g. Outmaneuver or Opportunist or Predator or Expert Handling or whatever). Put 2 or 3 A-wings in a squad and that's quite the stack of cards you're moving around.

Int needs (1) Pilot (2)RGT title (3)PtL (4) Autothruster (5) Whatever other Mod you want to customize! Though, you can fit more GSP in a squad than RGT...

This card alone might very well have gotten me to keep my X Wing collection. I've been holding off further purchases and considering selling most of my stuff but now I think "eh, I might go to a tournament or two..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

Int needs (1) Pilot (2)RGT title (3)PtL (4) Autothruster (5) Whatever other Mod you want to customize! Though, you can fit more GSP in a squad than RGT...

This card alone might very well have gotten me to keep my X Wing collection. I've been holding off further purchases and considering selling most of my stuff but now I think "eh, I might go to a tournament or two..."

Looking back, waves 1-2 was the "TIE swarm" era (although 4-ship Rebels, double Falcons and double/triple Firesprays did OK too), wave 3 was the B-wing era (primarily "Biggs Walks the Dogs" but some using HLCs, others using Ions, etc), wave 4 became the "golden era of the TIE Phantom" where we saw the rise of "Fat Falcons" as a response to high-maneuverability, wave 5 will likely be some mix of "fat 360° turrets" (from both factions) and the "TIE/Rebel Swarms" that rise up to counter them...

But I have no idea what the wave 6 meta will look like. Rebels (and Imperials to a lesser extent) will have their 360° tanky turrets from wave 5, it looks like TIE Interceptors could be back with a vengeance thanks to Autothrusters, and then there's a whole new Scum faction, with more aggressive HWK-290, Y-wing and Firespray pilots/abilities, all-new threats in the StarViper and IG-2000, and Z-95s and Scyks to fill out lists or comprise their own Scum swarms.

So. Many. Options.

As a non-fan of 360° turrets with 3+ attack up to range 3 (e.g. Falcon primary, Decimator primary, Outrider HLC), put me squarely in the "hibernating through wave 5 but can't wait to wake up to wave 6 in the spring" camp.
*OK, not really, but I'll tolerate wave 5 with high hopes for wave 6*

*Looks up from polishing his TIE Interceptors*
"Is wave 6 here yet?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
iNano78 wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

Looking back, waves 1-2 was the "TIE swarm" era (although 4-ship Rebels, double Falcons and double/triple Firesprays did OK too), wave 3 was the B-wing era (primarily "Biggs Walks the Dogs" but some using HLCs, others using Ions, etc), wave 4 became the "golden era of the TIE Phantom" where we saw the rise of "Fat Falcons" as a response to high-maneuverability, wave 5 will likely be some mix of "fat 360° turrets" (from both factions) and the "TIE/Rebel Swarms" that rise up to counter them...

But I have no idea what the wave 6 meta will look like. Rebels (and Imperials to a lesser extent) will have their 360° tanky turrets from wave 5, it looks like TIE Interceptors could be back with a vengeance thanks to Autothrusters, and then there's a whole new Scum faction, with more aggressive HWK-290, Y-wing and Firespray pilots/abilities, all-new threats in the StarViper and IG-2000, and Z-95s and Scyks to fill out lists or comprise their own Scum swarms.

So. Many. Options.

As a non-fan of 360° turrets with 3+ attack up to range 3 (e.g. Falcon primary, Decimator primary, Outrider HLC), put me squarely in the "hibernating through wave 5 but can't wait to wake up to wave 6 in the spring" camp.
*OK, not really, but I'll tolerate wave 5 with high hopes for wave 6*

*Looks up from polishing his TIE Interceptors*
"Is wave 6 here yet?"

I agree. I can't wait to see how the game changes. So excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soontir Fel will "finally" be awesome? I already reckon he's too much. With every turn able to take focus-evade-stress-focus (no worries shedding stress, heaps of green moves) the chances of hitting him in a regular attack are minuscule.

Add to that these Autothrusters and you've got a opponent playing phantoms and Soontir who's basically impossible to hit (and yes we've all had stories of rolling all blanks or whatever, but in general....)

I don't find a game of "look how you can never hit this ship" fun at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:
Soontir Fel will "finally" be awesome? I already reckon he's too much. With every turn able to take focus-evade-stress-focus (no worries shedding stress, heaps of green moves) the chances of hitting him in a regular attack are minuscule.

Add to that these Autothrusters and you've got a opponent playing phantoms and Soontir who's basically impossible to hit (and yes we've all had stories of rolling all blanks or whatever, but in general....)

Uh, "in general" no one plays tie interceptors in highly tuned lists.

Either because they are all just not as clever with numbers as you, or because they're not that good and need some sort of boost.

And fantasy flight games printed this card because, again, they're just not as good as you at playing x-wing, or because they've playtested a whole bunch and thought this was a good way to give interceptors a boost.

Feel free to pick whichever scenarios you feel are more likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Either because they are all just not as clever with numbers as you

scifiantihero wrote:
And fantasy flight games printed this card because, again, they're just not as good as you at playing x-wing

scifiantihero wrote:

A little harsh on the fellow for stating his opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:

I don't know. I love Soontir, but if you throw enough dice at him, he'll eventually have a bad roll, and he doesn't exactly have a lot of hit points to spare. He lives and dies by arc dodging, not by evading everything. That's why Interceptors suck against turrets.

Beyond Soontir, how many other Interceptors do we see in competitive play? I think the autothrusters are all about getting more highly maneuverable ships back into the meta and helping to keep turrets in check. Soontir gets better, but so do all of the other Interceptors and A-Wings that we don't see very much of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Either because they are all just not as clever with numbers as you

scifiantihero wrote:
And fantasy flight games printed this card because, again, they're just not as good as you at playing x-wing

scifiantihero wrote:

A little harsh on the fellow for stating his opinion.

With only one pilot occasionally seeing a top 32 showing, especially after they already tried boosting it with an Aces pack, is not a good sign.

Anyways, this card is primarily to reduce the "Han, Han, Han, Whisper, Han, WhisperHanHanWhisperHan" meta. Similarly, the hope is that 2 more strong turrets (3 and 4 dice, respectively) will help reduce the Whisper part of that.

There looks to be (or will be, once S&V lands) a few very valid tournament builds just among the two origional factions- elite pilot builds, swarms (rebel and Imperial) both full and mini, turret tank builds, and probably more. It is looking up, I have to say! And I love to complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish FFG wasn't the God of Afterthought (Epimetheus) and put this upgrade in the original Imperial Aces box. Imperial Aces is kind of rubbish in this wave's meta, and they should've seen it the way they buffed Rebel Aces much more than Imperial Aces. I was hoping to avoid Scum and Villainy entirely. I hope the card appears in a non S&V model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
ladofdestiny wrote:

I don't know. I love Soontir, but if you throw enough dice at him, he'll eventually have a bad roll, and he doesn't exactly have a lot of hit points to spare. He lives and dies by arc dodging, not by evading everything. That's why Interceptors suck against turrets.

Beyond Soontir, how many other Interceptors do we see in competitive play? I think the autothrusters are all about getting more highly maneuverable ships back into the meta and helping to keep turrets in check. Soontir gets better, but so do all of the other Interceptors and A-Wings that we don't see very much of these days.

Locally, I've seen several Interceptor-based lists do very well, with boosting and PTL.

I also saw quite a few lists with Interceptors (Soontir in particular) being used and doing well at both GenCon and Worlds.

Personally, I think ATs are undercosted. 2 pts for changing a blank roll straight to an evade, without taking an action, and usable all game?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
[q="cordeiro"][q="ladofdestiny"]2 pts for changing a blank roll straight to an evade, without taking an action, and usable all game?!

Against a limited number of ships and/or in variably narrow circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Anyways, this card is primarily to reduce the "Han, Han, Han, Whisper, Han, WhisperHanHanWhisperHan" meta.

Now just imagine if we could mix factions like Star Trek: Attack Wing - this build would define the current meta:

======================
The Meta-rific Super Squad!!1!one!
======================

100 points

Pilots
------

"Whisper” (44)
TIE Phantom (32), Gunner (5), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Han Solo (56)
YT-1300 (46), Veteran Instincts (1), C-3PO (3), Gunner (5), Millenium Falcon (1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Érik Pichette
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Horror surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
dvang wrote:
[q="cordeiro"][q="ladofdestiny"]2 pts for changing a blank roll straight to an evade, without taking an action, and usable all game?!

Against a limited number of ships and/or in variably narrow circumstances.

Well, limited number of ships, but when one pilot makes up a very significant percent of all points spent at the largest tournament...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:

The thing I like to do to Soontir is hand him another stress token via any of the couple of options that exist in the current meta. I do love a list that hands out stress in my local meta, as it seems most people around here aren't prepared to deal with the way it gums up the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lanewalkerx wrote:
ladofdestiny wrote:

The thing I like to do to Soontir is hand him another stress token via any of the couple of options that exist in the current meta. I do love a list that hands out stress in my local meta, as it seems most people around here aren't prepared to deal with the way it gums up the works.

And thats it- there are already numerous ways to deal with PtL, because it was a powerful card being used on nearly any ship with an EPT slot. They needed something to make positional ships useful again, as Han and the Falcon had essentially taken them out of play, and the new additional counters to them (Netra, YT-2300, Decimator) would only make it worse.

Anyways, Turr with PtL, Targeting Computer, and Autothrusters is 32 points. Sign me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
ladofdestiny wrote:

Uh, "in general" no one plays tie interceptors in highly tuned lists.

Either because they are all just not as clever with numbers as you, or because they're not that good and need some sort of boost.

And fantasy flight games printed this card because, again, they're just not as good as you at playing x-wing, or because they've playtested a whole bunch and thought this was a good way to give interceptors a boost.

Wow, thanks mate. I know I'm not the best or most experience in this game, but you don't have to come across like a douchebag with your reply...

I've found most people on this forum to be really helpful and kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Matt addressed the issue already as being a little harsh. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people may have a different meta as well, so interceptors may still be very strong where you play. In general, with C3PO and falcons, as well as the release of wave 5, there was little hope for the interceptors. This cards gives a nice boost to help bring it back to the meta. Still waiting on the tie advanced which is also almost never used!

This forum is wonderful and filled with very, very helpful people. I rarely go on FFG forum due to so many aggressive people I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is a decent read, especialy for a newbie. However, fly casual guys...

I picked up IA and RA, hoping to bolster x2 core kits but have to say, after reading much more about the meta I was hoping for Interceptors to be a bit better in competition. I guess they need practice and patience at dodging, boosting, and pickign the right actions.

Still, i'm going to stick with them (and A wings), as I think they are cool and I'm not always out to win, just have fun flying some iconic ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.