United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a gem of a simulation. Really in depth with a very elegant design... I enjoy it very much for that aspect.

However, I'm currently playing through my first year, and there is a distinct lack of decision points...

Here's the all of the decision points I've encountered:

1. How many player-controlled rikishi do I want to play? (I chose 1.)
2. How do I want to split my default stats/weaknesses? (Done once.)
3. How do I want to spend my APs for training? (Done once per year, so 10-15 times over the course of a full career.)
4. Do I want to choose a match tactic for the bouts I have a player rikishi in? If so, do I want to strengthen it? (Done 7 times/year, with version B/C of the schedule.)

And... that's it.

So, the match tactic decision, which only happens 7 times a year, is really the only choice I have, between longish bouts of die rolling. The simulation is great, and the matches resolve quickly... but I can't help but feel something is missing. Perhaps a more in-depth match system for bouts involving PC-rikishi?

Or did I miss something completely?

Also, will anyone ever read this?!

Really though, I like what's going on here. It would be very compelling in it's current form as a computer or mobile game. As a tabletop game it's a bit lacking -- I feel there's an easy fix here somewhere, and I want to find it . As a simulation, it's beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment.

No, you're not missing anything. And I completely agree with your comment. The game indeed needs to be amended somehow to allow more strategic decision making. I haven't figured out how to do that yet, however.

I think the game - as it is - would work quite well in a play by forum format, by the way. Probably that would be much better than the tabletop format. (Still, an adaptation to the tabletop format without compromising the basic idea too much would be nice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Kiritnai
msg tools
I can wait more years if you find a way to fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.