Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: gate opens and monsters appearing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grigg Lumbermanson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have a couple of questions that came up during my last solo game, inspired be the recent solo runthrougs of Arkham.

1. when a monster appears at a location or other world encounter, when do i get to claim the reward/trophy and when does it just return to the cup. ive read the rules many times but just cant see the difference.

2. do you always add a doom token to the doom track when a gate appears, like an encounter that tells you a gate appears (but no monster). it must be in the rules somewhere but i cant find it.

hope you can help

Grigg

p.s. i lost, but i was so close :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - When a monster shows up from an encounter, you can either fight it or evade it, though I think if you are 'surprised' by a monster (or whatever the keyword may be introduced in an expansion) than you cannot try to evade. If you defeat the monster, you immediately collect the trophy. If you evade it, or attempt to fight it and run away instead of defeating it, than the monster returns to the cup.

2 - You always add a doom token for a gate appearing, even if it is from an encounter. The only exception is when a seal bursts, which is a mechanism introduced in expansions. Some gates can destroy a seal, but then only the seal goes away, a doom token is not added in that instance. But if you're just playing the base game, then a doom token is always added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you fail the combat against an encounter monster (insane, unconscious, or even devoured), the monster is returned to the cup.

In other words, such monsters never stay on the board and never count against the monster limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you might be looking for with regard to #1 is the rule in the bottom right-hand corner of page 22 of the revised rules ("Monsters in Encounters").

The gist there is that if the encounter just says "A monster appears," the monster appears; you must fight or evade (unless something would prevent you from evading, but nothing I'm aware of prevents you from doing so in the base game); and the monster is either killed (in which case you get the trophy) or it is not (evaded, character goes insane, etc.), in which case the monster disappears and is returned to the monster cup. If an encounter says that both "a gate and monster appear," the monster stays, the gate stays, and a doom token is added (the last also clarified in the FAQ v2.0 on p. 9). (However, when a "gate and monster appear" at an Arkham location, any investigators at that location are first drawn through the gate, per FAQ 2.0, p. 9, so you don't get to fight it immediately.)

The reason it's confusing is because it's confusing. I'm sure that if this game were being redesigned, there'd be a more distinct set of terminology surrounding gates and monsters appearing. The fact that this matter was clarified in the revised printing of the rules/game (and not particularly smoothly in the rulebook) suggests that the monster appears/gate and monster appear distinction wasn't very well thought through in the original FFG design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grigg Lumbermanson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters in Encounters

Many location and Other World encounters indicate that
a monster appears. To resolve such an encounter, the
player must draw a monster from the monster cup and
resolve the encounter as normal (i.e., the investigator
may attempt to evade the monster or fight it). No matter
how the encounter is resolved, the monster is never left
on the board. The monster is returned to the monster
cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades or
defeats the monster, or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

Many encounters state that “A gate and a monster
appear!” For these encounters, both the monster and the
gate stay on the board. However, many other encounters
state that just a monster appears. For example, one of
the Black Cave encounters states “A monster appears!”
and one of the Hibb’s Roadhouse encounters states “A
horrible monster appears!” When a monster but not a
gate appears in an encounter, the monster does not stay
on the board. If such a monster is defeated, players may
take it as a trophy (unless its special ability says otherwise).

If the monster is not defeated, it is returned to the
monster cup, regardless of whether the investigator
evades the monster or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

(taken from page 22 of the basegame rulebook)

im having trouble differentiate between the two

thank you for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grigg wrote:
Monsters in Encounters

Many location and Other World encounters indicate that
a monster appears. To resolve such an encounter, the
player must draw a monster from the monster cup and
resolve the encounter as normal (i.e., the investigator
may attempt to evade the monster or fight it). No matter
how the encounter is resolved, the monster is never left
on the board. The monster is returned to the monster
cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades or
defeats the monster, or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

Many encounters state that “A gate and a monster
appear!” For these encounters, both the monster and the
gate stay on the board. However, many other encounters
state that just a monster appears. For example, one of
the Black Cave encounters states “A monster appears!”
and one of the Hibb’s Roadhouse encounters states “A
horrible monster appears!” When a monster but not a
gate appears in an encounter, the monster does not stay
on the board. If such a monster is defeated, players may
take it as a trophy (unless its special ability says otherwise).

If the monster is not defeated, it is returned to the
monster cup, regardless of whether the investigator
evades the monster or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

(taken from page 22 of the basegame rulebook)

im having trouble differentiate between the two

thank you for the feedback

Basically, if a monster appears with a gate, then the monster will stay on the board (and the investigator will go through the gate immediately so will not have a chance to fight the monster). Don't forget that the investigator will be delayed, and a doom token will need to be added.

If a monster appears and a gate does not, then the investigator will deal with the monster. If defeated, then it becomes a trophy (unless it is 'endless', then it returns to the bag). If it is not defeated (i.e. the investigator lost the fight, evaded it, or ran away from it) then the monster returns to the cup. A monster that appears in an encounter without a gate will NOT stay on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grigg Lumbermanson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the top paragraph says i dont get the trophy if i defeat the monster

the bottom paragraph says i do get the trophy if i defeat the monster.

i just play it that i dont get trophy/rewards for other world encounters but do if in arkham or other towns. just wondering what other arkham players do.

Grigg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grigg wrote:

i just play it that i dont get trophy/rewards for other world encounters but do if in arkham or other towns. just wondering what other arkham players do.

Grigg

I think it's a mistake then. You should definitely keep trophies for defeating monsters from encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise stated on the Monster token, you keep all defeated Monster tokens as Trophies. (i.e. Return a Mi-Go to the Monster Cup and draw a Unique Item or Return the Warlock to the Monster Cup and gain 2 Clue tokens)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grigg wrote:

Grigg

That conflict was an error in the rule book. The correct rule was given in the official FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
Grigg wrote:

Grigg

That conflict was an error in the rule book. The correct rule was given in the official FAQ.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...

On page 4 of the FAQ I found the part where it revises the standard encounters, but I don't see where it clarifies anything about the Other World encounters. So, are you still not allowed to keep a trophy if you defeat the monster in the Other World?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grigg Lumbermanson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its my understanding now that you always get the trophy/reward if you defeat a wandering monster, regardless if its in other worlds or not. unless it has endless.

please correct me if i am interpreting this wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoggoth
Argentina
Rosario
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grigg wrote:
its my understanding now that you always get the trophy/reward if you defeat a wandering monster, regardless if its in other worlds or not. unless it has endless.

truer than true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Unless otherwise stated on the Monster token, you keep all defeated Monster tokens as Trophies. (i.e. Return a Mi-Go to the Monster Cup and draw a Unique Item or Return the Warlock to the Monster Cup and gain 2 Clue tokens)

One slight correction - Warlock goes to the box (i.e. out of the game), not back to the monster cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.