Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Belzunce Darrocha
Spain
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we are planning to play our first game of Historia next weekend, how many civbots do you recommend? We'll be four "real" players

thank you in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with four real players that no civ-bots are necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the game will work with four human players, we found that it was better when we added in one or two "chieftain" level civets. Anything higher and they'll beat you up badly in your first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first time it'll be easier to learn the game if you don't use any. Otherwise 1 civbot should be enough. After all the game was initially designed with a maximum of 5 players on mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that if you choose to not bother with a civbot for your first four-player game (it would be recommended to have one or two civbots with four players once you know what you are doing), and then one player starts in the Americas and the others start in Europe/Africa/Asia/Australia, the lone player will be unable to use Trade, Raid, or War for approximately the first half of the game, so this will limit that player's options. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to be aware that the game will play quite differently in such a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with what Gary said. Personally, having demoed the game a lot - I think you can leave out the Civbots for your first 4 player game. It wont be a 'proper' game, but it still plays perfectly fine, and gives you a chance to get your head around the mechanics.

However, I did one demo game where 1 player started in the Americas and he didn't have a good play experience, because he spent half the game not being able to interact much.

So, the next time I demoed it for 4, I warned them about this and told them that if one of them wants to do that, they can, but just be aware that you wont be interacting for a while. The players all chose to start not in the Americas, which worked very well. It was helped by the fact that only low-value territory values came out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason civbots SHOULD be added is to fill out the map and ensure that the isolated player in the Americas doesn't occur.

It's not like civbots make the game any more complicated.

Use Chieftain civbots for your first game and personally I recommend NEVER using King civbots because they dominate a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil,

I completely concur! As I've completed nearly a dozen games now, I'm a firm believer that you need to fill the "player" count with Civbots to as close to six as possible (if you don't want to play with five Civbots). I've played solo games with only three Civbots (at the Chieftain-Level) and it can definitely use a few more Civbots.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.