Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been seeing that some folks are playing timed games which sounds interesting.  I could see how this would help with some of my casual games which can take awhile. My question is: how do timed games work? I imagine this is only for death match style and not for missions.

Is there an official set of rules for these games or is there a generally accepted set of rules by the x-wing community? Any info on how these games work in detail would be great.

Also any opinions on how you feel about playing these games would be helpful!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is called tournament play, not for scenarios. In tournament play you typically play 75 minute games (though some are as short as 60 and some may be as long as 90 depending on the tournament). But there are no real specific rules other then some good sportsmanship rules to not drag out your turn or stall. You play until one side is defeated or conceeds or you run out of time, whichever comes first. If you run out of time then whom ever has the most points left wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
This is called tournament play, not for scenarios. In tournament play you typically play 75 minute games (though some are as short as 60 and some may be as long as 90 depending on the tournament). But there are no real specific rules other then some good sportsmanship rules to not drag out your turn or stall. You play until one side is defeated or conceeds or you run out of time, whichever comes first. If you run out of time then whom ever has the most points left wins.

All correct with one exception. At the end of the game and time is called, the winner is whoever has killed the most points. It isn't a big deal, but can make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:

I didn't know about these official rules, Thanks!

And will someone please delete the duplicate thread I posted on accident!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just google 'x wing miniatures rules' and it will pull up the link for official rules. Can do the same thing for FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:

Just to add a bit - in a tournament there is often time to set up your squad, place asteroids and place ships before the time begins. So if you are playing home games I'd do all that before starting the clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually finish the round in play when time is called. It's not an instant stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
We usually finish the round in play when time is called. It's not an instant stop.

That is also part of the official tournament rules. You get to finish out the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
not playing timed games is what nearly killed our community before it even got started way back in wave 1-2. Invariably you ended up with one ship chasing another around the board for 30 minutes.

Timed games help eliminate that problem and encourage more aggressive end game play. Unlike other times miniatures games I never feel rushed or stressed about the clock but then again im not flying massive tricky lists either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katogamerguy wrote:
not playing timed games is what nearly killed our community before it even got started way back in wave 1-2. Invariably you ended up with one ship chasing another around the board for 30 minutes.

Timed games help eliminate that problem and encourage more aggressive end game play. Unlike other times miniatures games I never feel rushed or stressed about the clock but then again im not flying massive tricky lists either

You can still run and hide during a timed game, but in tournament play, it's a good way to not go very far (you're not getting enough points to compete with those who are destroying ships), and in casual play, well, nobody will want to play with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.