Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that most demos given at various cons have a full compliment of 4 players, but does anybody know how it is played with 1-3 players?

Do players have to take on multiple roles? Does the app scale back the difficulty with fewer players? Does the app cut out certain elements of the game for missing roles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, the time limits are more generous with fewer players, but the game is otherwise unchanged. One or more players will just be wearing multiple hats as it were.

How much more generous, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding, Urza47 is right; with fewer players you are granted more time and wearing multiple hats. I do like to play solo games once in a while, and having played a full game of XCOM now (4p), I think it could be done, but would be a little difficult to keep track of everything. Still, I'll probably give it a shot, though I think it will definitely be best with the full complement of 4 players so each person can cover a role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
From my understanding, Urza47 is right; with fewer players you are granted more time and wearing multiple hats. I do like to play solo games once in a while, and having played a full game of XCOM now (4p), I think it could be done, but would be a little difficult to keep track of everything. Still, I'll probably give it a shot, though I think it will definitely be best with the full complement of 4 players so each person can cover a role.

I'm looking to buy the game almost exclusively for solo play. I'm hoping it plays at least as well as Space Alert, which is one of my favorite solitaire games. I wouldn't mind it being a little overwhelming for the solo player, since that's your compensation for getting to see the whole picture and not having to rely on others doing their jobs efficiently.

Like Space Alert, I can imagine it being at its most awkward with 3 players, since you'd have one player taking on two hats and the rest doing a single role. Two players ought to be fine (each player gets two roles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.