Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I took my Machi Koro out in public for the first time today. It was my usual partner, myself and a gamer we had orbiting nearby. My partner had never played and the other gamer had played exactly once, moments previous. He was eager so I had him do the rules explanation, he did a great job. There was one thing that disconnected from my expectations.

After I had laid out everything, he looked at the stacks of cards and said "aren't you going to put them in two stacks"? I double checked and it appears that the rules say to lay out one stack per distinct card. He had been taught that you take all the cards and shuffle them together.

It immediately made me thing of the famous Epic Thunderstone which I believe works roughly the same way. Is anyone experimenting with this variant? Did I miss something in the rules and should have been doing it this way all along? Any other thoughts on this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fox
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a variant similar to the one you mentioned that I believe will be included in the Harbor Expansion (if I am correct, the variant was included in the original Japanese edition). The cards are mixed together ("Epic" style) and cards are revealed until there are 10 unique stacks. When a stack's last card is purchased, that space is filled by a new card drawn from the deck. I find that this is a truly superior way to play and will never play the original version as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure which of the two versions you're really asking about, but the consensus here, and in my experience, is that putting out all cards in their own piles makes for a crappy game. with just the base game, I put out 9 cards at once (duplicates stacked) and that makes for a far more thoughtful and varied game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fox
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto that.
I believe it is 8 stacks in a 2-player game, 9 stacks in a 3-player game, and 10 stacks in a 4-player game. Also, use only 1 type of purple card in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, the actual rule is 10 stacks with any number of players, but that kind of scaling makes sense (though I play with 10 stacks and two players, and it works just fine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Dan, the actual rule is 10 stacks with any number of players, but that kind of scaling makes sense (though I play with 10 stacks and two players, and it works just fine).
it works but as I understand it, that's only the rule when Harbour is added in, so seems very reasonable to tweak things for just the base.

One type of purple building? It's certainly easy for all three to clog up the available cards, maybe all the 6's could be stacked as duplicates together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.