Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in giving this game a try since I quite liked Quarrior. However I simply don't have enough time/energy for the deck building mechanism (my android netrunner & LOTR LCG is collecting dust).

I'm going to play casually with my gf, I'm wondering if the game can be played by card drafting (like season, where you have a central pool of cards to choose from).

If so, what do I need to buy? Starter sets will be enough?

many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Casual drafting is a great way to play this game. It causes you to play new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can hardly call picking 8 characters and two actions deck building. It's much much easier to do than anything like Netrunner or LOTR. That's why I haven't played LOTR in ages, I just didn't have time for making decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starter set will net you the requisite action cards and starter character cards. You might also want to consider buying a complete common/uncommon set off someone here or ebay.

There are various rules for drafting that you should be able to find. Some people enjoy the drafting variant more because you can remove the super strong super rares (from AvX, the ones in UXM are much less powerful).

One of the organized play variants is rainbow draft, which works really well for this type of game.

So, yes, this is very playable in a draft format. Just try and get cards off others or buy about 20 boosters (although for that price, you can probably get more from people selling cards/dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One UXM Starter will be enough to get you going. For 15$, you'll definitely get your money's worth of playtime with just the starter.

You'll have a choice of 8 different characters with 2 dice and 3 different ability cards for each.

Throw in the 10 basic action cards to chose from and you'll get a lot of play before things start to get redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
littlegorgor wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in giving this game a try since I quite liked Quarrior. However I simply don't have enough time/energy for the deck building mechanism (my android netrunner & LOTR LCG is collecting dust).

I'm going to play casually with my gf, I'm wondering if the game can be played by card drafting (like season, where you have a central pool of cards to choose from).

If so, what do I need to buy? Starter sets will be enough?

many thanks

The ability to deal out a random pool of cards and very quickly and easily draft up teams is one of the truly great aspects of Dicemasters that the other games you mention (and other games like them) simply cannot replicate. It's a unique and often completely overlooked strength of the game design. Supports casual play to a very high degree. I'm sure you can come up with a way to draft cards that works for you and your girlfriend - but let me know if you need ideas.

Like others have said, if you get the starter set plus about $15 to $20 worth of boosters, that is more than enough for dozens and dozens of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting is really a strong feature of this game, we always play a 4-player game with my friends and we always draft before the game from the pool of cards. We just don't use some cards who are overpowered in this format, like Hawkeye Longbow or Punisher McRook (we don't have Gobby or Tsarina, but we wouldn't use them either, obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.