Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this room in back of my garage that's pretty nice. Currently it more or less holds random things but one weekend I cleared a bunch of stuff out (while still leaving... a bunch of stuff) and set up a place to play Descent 2e.

And... stuff eventually crawled back in.

Time passed and work was always frantic, which means my house (now paid off) is full of boxes and games scattered about, and I never had the time or energy after four hours of commuting plus 10-12 hours of work to clean.

Well, now I've quit for health reasons and looking forwards to cleaning up this room and moving games downstairs. And somehow storing a LOT of games.

Here's a view of what else is left in the room.

So there are some common patterns I've noticed in other threads of this type, notably the usage of Kallax shelving. And in an ideal world I would so do this.

But there are problems with that. The first is that no one on the island wants to help me, and my friends off-island have told me that they will NOT help. And Kallax is, according to the IKEA website, a 2-person job to put together.

The second is that I'm not really very handy at all, and a bit weak to boot, plus the serious asthma attacks from the last 70-hour weeks at work have not abated. I'm effectively disabled for now. It'll get worse when I have toe surgery over the next few months.

The third is, of course, that there is no more money flowing in.

To offset these disadvantages, I really want to get this done because I would like my living room to be available again given the number of games there. And in the dining room. And in the bedroom. And in the other bedroom.

So far I know I can put together those wire shelves you see. I have a 5-shelf unit waiting in the garage to be put together.

But I don't really know what to do next. Without help everything seems insurmountable and to be honest sometimes I just want to sit down somewhere and cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain.

I really want to organize my gaming room better, but there seems to be so much to do.

I'd start by taking one of those boxes out a day and then two lose items a day. Soon all that would be left are the shelves there.

I use the wire shelves and they work fine. (I actually know a lot of board gamers and none of them use the more expensive Ikea solution, save the money for more games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW,

The creeping back in is an ongoing battle.

I have a dedicated room that is set up, but day after day throughout the week, if there is something in the way in the rest of the house, it tends to get moved into the room and then I have to clean it quickly every week before gaming night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baby steps. You know you can put together the wire shelves, so start there. Enjoy the success of it. Do what you can, and aid will come for that which you cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have those same shelves for my games and they work great.

I also can get easily overwhelmed by a big project. The other comments about baby steps are what work for me, too. So just pick one thing or one surface in the room (one box, one shelf, etc.) and take care of that. You do that as many times in the day as you feel up to, whether it's one time or 5. (This is how I keep my fridge clean!) The trick is to only work for 1-10 minutes, then rest whether you need to or not.

Then when you have a shelf cleaned off you can add in moving games onto them. Do the same thing here, just taking a few games each time.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the BGG Con game library has taught me anything, wire shelves will hold a lot of games just fine. Kallax/Expidit shelves look nice, but they can waste a lot of space if you have odd shaped boxes. If you just need storage, wire shelves with wheels would be a totally good solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, have to work with what you have? I get that.

So do you have an extra sheet or two you can destroy and cardboard boxes? After you assemble the wire shelving, cut some cardboard boxes up to cover the tops of the shelves, cut the sheets, then wrap each shelf tightly and attach to the underside. This way you have a nice surface to slide your games along on the shelf - otherwise, with wire shelving, you risk getting corners snagged (thus crunching/damaging them). Additionally, if a box pops open it will prevent the pieces from slipping through the shelving. Also, you can set out your miniatures for Descent if you have a flat solid surface. (The cloth is just for appearance.

If you have even more sheets left, you can make "curtains" for closing over the game shelf, but that is not necessary. That's purely a design choice.

As far as layout, I'd recommend putting the shelves underneath the duct work that I see going along two sides of the room. Leave the full height ceiling above the table. Also, it looks like the window is on the other side of the wall - you don't want to block that with a shelf. Natural light is better than artificial light. Put games you play a lot at eye level, put the extra stuff you have to store on the bottom shelves (so you aren't stooping down to get them all the time).

What other types of things do you have? Tables, chairs, TV trays, TV stands, etc that can be repurposed for the game room? You'll want a smaller table that can be extended with leaves rather than a large table - and you'll want it sturdy. Sturdy TV trays would be useful for games like Descent on a small table - you leave the table for the main game, then each player could have a TV tray next to them for their character stuff.

No matter what you have, start simple - shelves, table, chairs. Anything else can wait until you have the basic set up. If you have a 5 shelf unit to assemble, then you have plenty of shelves to set up and store everything nicely. Then, once you have the main room set up, you can decide how to embellish later - you know, something like hanging expansion box covers on the wall like art (if you combined the contents into the main box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw the sheets.

1, its a gameroom, you WANT to see the games. We own them and we're proud of them.
2, those wire shelves usually come with plastic runners designed for solving that problem. If not, you can buy them separately.
3, there is no rule that the bookcases need to match. Seriously, once they're full of games, that's what folks will be looking at. I've bought 5 mismatched bookcases from Goodwill extremely cheap. They're not perfect, but they hold a LOT of games. I avoided mixing white and stuck with any wood tones.
4, for cards or accessories just pile them in a small box, tray, basket. Again, Goodwill or Walmart is fine.

Once you drag in those metal shelves that you already own and fill it, you will feel much better and be inspired to continue.

This was the early stage of my gameroom. It shows two of the eventual 6 bookcases. The large one in foreground is a cheap used dresser with the shelves that sit on top of it. The Goodwill bookcase on left is different color - note that it helps the visual clutter if at least some of the shelves match up with adjoining bookcases!

Oh, and if you want to paint, you HAVE to do it now. Once the bookcases are filled, you'll never get around to emptying them. And if some of that stuff will stay in the room, fit what you can on shelves with doors or drawers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should have a game room cleaning.setting up support group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Estep
United States
Morehead
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
LexiCon ... April 20-22, Lexington, KY www.lexicongaming.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Who do you play these games with?

When I need to do something in the game room that is bigger than I can do myself I usually get things ready and when the first person shows up for gaming I ask them to help. Usually we're done by the time everyone gets there.

I'm not sure what it is called or how it compares in cost, but for my shelves I got the tracks that go on the wall that you put brackets in. then you lay boards on the brackets to make the shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
BTW,

The creeping back in is an ongoing battle.

I have a dedicated room that is set up, but day after day throughout the week, if there is something in the way in the rest of the house, it tends to get moved into the room and then I have to clean it quickly every week before gaming night.

Yeah, I hope that now I can be more disciplined about stuff like that. Also that the garage, somewhat cut off from the rest of the house, is inconvenient enough that with some discipline there will be far fewer migrations of stuff.

tommynomad wrote:
Baby steps. You know you can put together the wire shelves, so start there. Enjoy the success of it. Do what you can, and aid will come for that which you cannot.

Thanks. Hearing from you folks is making this all much easier to deal with in my head.

Mamadallama wrote:
So just pick one thing or one surface in the room (one box, one shelf, etc.) and take care of that. You do that as many times in the day as you feel up to, whether it's one time or 5. (This is how I keep my fridge clean!) The trick is to only work for 1-10 minutes, then rest whether you need to or not.

Then when you have a shelf cleaned off you can add in moving games onto them. Do the same thing here, just taking a few games each time.

That's a great idea. I will do that. I've been finding that 20 minutes at a chunk is too much for me and my lungs right now, so ten minutes seems right, with plentiful resting.

Donkler wrote:
If the BGG Con game library has taught me anything, wire shelves will hold a lot of games just fine. Kallax/Expidit shelves look nice, but they can waste a lot of space if you have odd shaped boxes. If you just need storage, wire shelves with wheels would be a totally good solution!

... WHEELS. Wheels would be awesome. I could rearrange the room more easily! I will have to look into the wheels. Thanks!

Verbosity wrote:

As far as layout, I'd recommend putting the shelves underneath the duct work that I see going along two sides of the room. Leave the full height ceiling above the table. Also, it looks like the window is on the other side of the wall - you don't want to block that with a shelf. Natural light is better than artificial light. Put games you play a lot at eye level, put the extra stuff you have to store on the bottom shelves (so you aren't stooping down to get them all the time).

That all makes sense to me! I was thinking about just using the back wall for shelves but it's better to have shelves under the duct work.

Quote:
What other types of things do you have? Tables, chairs, TV trays, TV stands, etc that can be repurposed for the game room? You'll want a smaller table that can be extended with leaves rather than a large table - and you'll want it sturdy. Sturdy TV trays would be useful for games like Descent on a small table - you leave the table for the main game, then each player could have a TV tray next to them for their character stuff.

TV trays are very doable and a great idea. Will also work wonders for Arkham Horror. I swear, that game...

Quote:
No matter what you have, start simple - shelves, table, chairs. Anything else can wait until you have the basic set up. If you have a 5 shelf unit to assemble, then you have plenty of shelves to set up and store everything nicely. Then, once you have the main room set up, you can decide how to embellish later - you know, something like hanging expansion box covers on the wall like art (if you combined the contents into the main box).

! That's a great idea for expansion boxes! Right now I accumulate them in a closet. Thank you!

Sam Houston wrote:
Screw the sheets.

1, its a gameroom, you WANT to see the games. We own them and we're proud of them.
2, those wire shelves usually come with plastic runners designed for solving that problem. If not, you can buy them separately.
3, there is no rule that the bookcases need to match. Seriously, once they're full of games, that's what folks will be looking at. I've bought 5 mismatched bookcases from Goodwill extremely cheap. They're not perfect, but they hold a LOT of games. I avoided mixing white and stuck with any wood tones.
4, for cards or accessories just pile them in a small box, tray, basket. Again, Goodwill or Walmart is fine.

Once you drag in those metal shelves that you already own and fill it, you will feel much better and be inspired to continue.

Thank you so much, this is great advice. And thank you for the picture, it's a great demonstration of what you speak about!

Guantanamo wrote:
Maybe we should have a game room cleaning.setting up support group

I'm all for this

Ozlo wrote:

Who do you play these games with?

When I need to do something in the game room that is bigger than I can do myself I usually get things ready and when the first person shows up for gaming I ask them to help. Usually we're done by the time everyone gets there.

I usually play games at the pub or someone else's house. I want to host games too, so we can all play more often (who wants to host continuously? I wouldn't wish that on anyone) but... it's kind of hard to convince people? Maybe I should use that approach. "We can all game more often if..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
[q="Guantanamo"]BTW,

I usually play games at the pub or someone else's house. I want to host games too, so we can all play more often (who wants to host continuously? I wouldn't wish that on anyone) but... it's kind of hard to convince people? Maybe I should use that approach. "We can all game more often if..."

Ha! Made me laugh! Because that's exactly what I do. Host game day every weekend! Of course, our group is small, never more than 8 and usually tops out at 5 or 6. But, seriously, it's my preference, and I don't mind at all and am just happy that everyone is always alright coming to my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:

Ha! Made me laugh! Because that's exactly what I do. Host game day every weekend! Of course, our group is small, never more than 8 and usually tops out at 5 or 6. But, seriously, it's my preference, and I don't mind at all and am just happy that everyone is always alright coming to my house.

Yeah, I was thinking about some gaming experiences I used to have, where twenty people or more would descend upon a house or group of apartments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have improved the room slightly!

I am going to line the wall in the first picture under the duct with those wire shelves. It all goes around a corner -- I'm not sure how to deal with going around a corner with square shelves.

The wooden shelf is a small folding thing that I can handle, and I have a bunch of these. They can support smaller games and even medium-sized games and even games like Le Havre boxes, if you don't mind the boxes sticking out.

I'm going for a "game boxes on their ends" approach towards storage, but this has led to things like inserts that don't go all the way up to the box top (most of them) not working anymore.

I'm going to start putting together some inserts from Go7 gaming. I'm tuckered out for the rest of the day, I think. I moved a bunch of books that used to be on the little wood shelf to the car for transport to the library tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way we could do the library without the wheeled wire shelving. It may not be the look you want, but they work great. Put the "netting" on, with zip ties, if needed.

I had to get a storage unit as I ran out of room in my town house. I would love to pay off my joint as well. You are wonderful and I think your new adventure is brave and I totally get why. I will probably follow suit in January as well.

P.S. If I'd help you from off island. Good luck and good for you in protecting yourself and health. Scary, but it's brave and to be celebrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhenke wrote:
Put the "netting" on, with zip ties, if needed.

That is a terrific tip. It warrants a tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't lift much myself, but I can handle the plastic shelving units sold at home depot stores for garage shelving, see for example

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-36-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-18-in-D-5...

It's not hard to put together and it's very cheap. they hold a fair amount of weight as well, being designed for garage storage.

For organizing small games on bigger shelves, I use inexpensive sock organizers from ikea.

folding dvd racks are also very good for small games.

good luck and enjoy your new game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Estep
United States
Morehead
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
LexiCon ... April 20-22, Lexington, KY www.lexicongaming.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
[q="Guantanamo"]BTW,

Same here. Every Friday night plus at least one Saturday per month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see the next update on your game room!

Vertical Games:

My solution to poor inserts has always been zip lock bags. This keeps the pieces together when tipped and makes for quick setup. Yes, I even bag my cards so they don't slide all over the place. The other option is to get into making custom foam core inserts.

My Space:

My game room consists of a small bedroom converted. The west wall has a closet with the south portion open to the little square area with the door, the north wall has a window in the middle of it and is flanked by 2 book shelves (west side is text books, east side is RPG books), the east wall has 3 Sauder shelves and all my wife's fantasy books, and finally the south wall has 3 heavy duty plastic shelves and a black Sauder shelf with my games and some extra books.

The room is dominated by a large game table that is under the window and extends into the center of the room. It really is only suitable for 2-3 players due to the crowding of shelves and large size of the table - but the table will fit all of my large games on it without any issues (Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Fortune and Glory, and so on). Also, 95% of my gaming is solo or with my wife, so I don't need to sit many - and I could move to the larger living/dining room where we have a table with leaves that can serve 8 easily.

In the southeast corner I made sure there was a small blank space between the game shelves and book shelves, and I offset the game shelves from the east wall. This creates a tiny nook that I put oversized items in. For example, it would be a great spot to stow away the TV trays or extra folding chairs.

Note: I didn't curtain my games either - I like to see their spines. Again, a design choice (I did pull off all my closet doors and put up curtains instead - I like the look and ease of use much better).

Its a little messy at the moment, but later I'll get some photos of it so you can see how it is set up. Its not the best game space, but it is something. (Yes, I need to redesign it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.