Castles of Mad King Ludwig» Forums » Rules

Subject: Comboing Food Room Completion Bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Cook
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just finished playing a game, and an interesting situation arose where one player had a couple open exits on food rooms, lots of money, and three more food rooms in the market place. Because all the food rooms have only two doors, this turned into a completion bonus combo where she was able to buy 5 rooms in a single turn. This seemed extreme, especially as it left one of the players without a room available to buy, but I didn't find anything in the rules that prohibited this. Does anyone know If there's an FAQ or even something in the rules that I missed that explicitly addresses this? Barring that, has anyone else had this come up, and did you have any conflict regarding whether to allow chaining the completion bonus like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, you can do that.

I don't think it's a problem, either, as the chance of this happening is fairly low - there are many requirements for this to happen. I've never seen anyone buy more than two rooms on one turn.

So, congratulations for the lucky player, but unless she had a suitable bonus, that's probably not a particularly strong play, as food rooms don't really score that much by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, unless that player was just sitting on 30,000 marks the master builder should've prevented that by making those rooms more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cook
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Good point, I think the turn only netted 11 points, plus absolutely securing the 8 points for one of the end game bonuses. It was definitely the best move available, but not something that blew everyone out of the water. The real advantage was that it denied those food rooms to the next player, who had a lot of bonuses for them.

And yeah, she had plenty of money from building and completing a lot of outdoor rooms, including a turn shortly before where she'd been able to complete three in one placement, getting her 30k. They were at the 6,8, and 10 spots, and I think she had enough to have still done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlen Troup
United States
Goshen (S.E. edge of Elkhart)
Indiana
flag msg tools
The poster says 5 rooms were bought in a single turn. However, the rules state each player chooses one of the priced rooms. I've also watched several videos and in all cases they chose just one room per turn. If I understand all of this you can purchase only one room per turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eisen Montalvo
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlen76 wrote:
The poster says 5 rooms were bought in a single turn. However, the rules state each player chooses one of the priced rooms. I've also watched several videos and in all cases they chose just one room per turn. If I understand all of this you can purchase only one room per turn!

Arlen76, when a food room is completed, the player gets another turn immediately as the room completion reward. So that player had five turns back to back were the player was able to complete another food room in the first 4 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlen Troup
United States
Goshen (S.E. edge of Elkhart)
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher Speth
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
We had a very similar situation come up last night on the last turn. One of the player had left many of his food rooms incomplete. He had plenty of money, and was going third out of four players. I (the master builder) priced the rooms such that player one and two purchased the 10,000 and 15,000 (everyone had plenty of money, and it was the last turn), leaving the other 4 tiles to all be bought up by the third player, as he closed off one food room after another. On my turn, all that was left was the 1000 tile, which yielded 1 point.

Needless to say, this left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, since there is very little that could have been done to prevent the situation from occurring (he had enough money to buy four tiles regardless of their placement, and already had the food rooms on his board, waiting to close up). This really make turn order a big deal on the last turn, moreso than I think is really fair to leave up to luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would, however, note that it'll probably take a while before something like this happens again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perrault

Greendale
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Come on come on come on come on TOUCH ME BABE can't you see that I am not afraid
mbmbmb
Played 3 games and stacking yellow rooms for 3 buys happened in 2 of the games. I am not sure it made much of a difference though, in points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.