Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before - one day I'll figure out how to effectively search on this site....

As a child I always liked the choose your own adventure books, and naturally was drawn to Tales of the Arabian Nights - however reading some reviews some of the story lines are unsuitable for kids.

Can anyone give me feedback on playing AoS with young children (7 years old) - I'm not concerned about the mechanisms of the game, he's an experienced gamer, I'm just wondering about the stories.

As a side note, if I do purchase the game is it worth purchasing the expansion at the same time of the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the writer of a lot of the encounters, I'd say there is nothing in there that you wouldn't find in a James Bond film - there is no swearing and no sex (barring the occasional mild innuendo). There is violence, but it's Bond film violence, rather than 18/R-certificate violence. There are, however, some torture scenes that are a little unpleasant, and one or two places where things are implied without being described in detail.

I don't have children, though, so I can't comment on whether 7 is an appropriate age. I can't remember what age I started watching the Bond films!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the content is roughly what you would expect to find in a spy-themed choose your own adventure book for kids of all ages. A lot of it is going to fly over their heads though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We only played once but all the sexual innuendo stuff came up a LOT and it's always written as if your character is a male and the person in the story is female which is pretty stupid and plays out horribly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I tried to write/edit as many of that type of encounter as possible to be gender-neutral (perhaps a little more so in Swagman's Hope than in the base game). For example:

Quote:
You are called into the local UN office as your regular medical examination is now due. You sit outside the doctor’s office waiting to be called. This whole process is tedious. You’re clearly in perfect health - well, mostly. Your name is called and you walk into the office, determined to put up a fight over this whole waste of time.
TEST PERSUASION -2 (PASS WITH SEDUCTION)
PASS: You stop in amazement. The doctor is gorgeous. You immediately turn on the charm. The doctor says, “Could you step behind that screen and remove your clothes, please”. You smile. “Funny, I was about to say exactly the same thing.” COOL AGENT.
FAIL: You stop, staring at the doctor in slack-jawed amazement. The doctor is stunning. You stand there stupidly. You may even be drooling. “Right, let’s get this over with,” says the doctor, taking out a very large syringe and pulling on a pair of rubber gloves. You’ve had worse first dates. Try as you might to get the Dr.'s attention, your advances fall flat. LOVE INTEREST. GETTING FLABBY. DO NOT ADVANCE VILLAIN.

To my mind, there's nothing in that to specify the gender of either the player (character) or the doctor.

There are occasionally encounters written where the player (character) is trying to seduce someone of a specified gender (there are encounters that include male and female characters), so depending on the gender of the player (character), the encounters can read as hetero- or homosexual. I always just assumed that secret agents do what has to be done to ensure the safety of the free world...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
I have five children, ranging from 13 to 4. As Dan said there is some mild innuendo but nothing I would have a problem with my children. At seven I think most of the innuendo would go over their head anyway. In order to avoid most of the innuendo, you could not choose the Seduction skill or the responses that hint at that as a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.