3 Posts

Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Losing a power due to home colonies loss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having Ace in the game for the first time, we've returned to a dubious question about how many home colonies do you have to lose to lose a Power?

Or, how many home colonies do you have to have, in order to maintain the use of a Power?

The Gaia Planet added confusion. I gueass the Gaia Planet serves as another home colony to keep you from losing a Power, right? But the base rules state that losing 3 or more home colonies disables your Power.

So, even further into the confusion, Ace starts with 4 Home Colonies, so how many of them does he have to lose, to lose the Power, two or three?

There's a substantial drawback to that power in alowing other players to aim at it's Foreign Colonies. Add to that the loss of only two planets, the Power becomes quite difficult to utilise.

Please do post any and all oppinions on this.
I would appreachiate them all!
Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ clarified this:
Errata and Clarifications

Losing Alien Powers

A player loses his or her alien power whenever he or she has fewer than three home colonies (two in a four planet game) rather than basing this on the number of home colonies a player has lost.

So whether you've gained or lost planets (because of something like Ace, The Claw, Explorer, Wild Explorer, Wild Guerrilla, Locust, Wild Locust, Pygmy, The Entropy Beast, Genesis Bomb, or Omega Missile), you still need three home colonies to use your alien power(s).

Ace is indeed fast and scary, but also fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petar todosic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bill! :)

Firstly thank you for the info and sorry for the delayed reply. I lead a very eclectic life, it's hard to keep it organised.
Yes, that's my excuse.

The knowledge base on Cosmic is getting immense, and I am indeed sorry for being unable to recall all that I've read, and deduce answers myself..
Even last night I've yet again missed the point about Ace and wrongly lead another player to attack his foreign colony, instead of taking down his (second to be lost) home colony to bust his Power. Luckily, there friends so I wasn't banished.

I've gotta say, playing the Dominion, makes us feel we are at the begging of learning Cosmic, again. All games last for more than 3 hours. The powers are great, but IMHO some of them should have shades of infrared as complexity indicators. :)
All in all - tons of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.