Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Meys
Belgium
Haacht
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
I played my first game of Doom this weekend and I have a question:

Can the marine players see the map of the scenario in the scenariobook? The layout of the tiles, monsters en equipment I mean, not the text. Or do they realy only get to see the tile tey are one without knowing where the doors will take them and without knowing which way to go in order to complete the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play by the rulebook, the map is hidden. The invader lays out the tiles and so on, only when marines explore them.

I personnally often layout the complete map beforehand (all tiles, but doors etc in the first room only), and put further doors, obstacles & monsters when marines explore a new tile. You lose some of the element of surprise if it's an unplayed scenario, but the setup is quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time through a map, I like to play not knowing what's around the corner. Leads to some fantastic gaming moments when you think the map is going to turn right and lead towards the exit, when it suddenly turns left.

But if I've played this map frequently enough, I'll just lay the whole thing out, since I pretty much already know where it's going.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if they own a copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the original design called for laying out the map as doors were opened. When Descent came out, that rule in Doom was modified to mirror Descent's system of laying out just the map and populating the map with monsters and nonesuch when in sight of the Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.