Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
133 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Alternative 2015 Challenge: Play 15 of your unplayed games in 2015 -- Now w/ microbadges!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f h
msg tools
EDIT: Alternative 2015 Challenge Lists please add your lists to this list.

7 Feb '15 EDIT: I just stopped by the site to check on something else and noticed I received emails that the 15in15 MBs have been approved. Unfortunately I don't really know/have to dig into what that means right now (whether you have to buy them or they are awarded for participation/completion). Might have time to look at it tomorrow, but it'll probably be Monday before I really get to it. I just thought people would like to know cool

Let me start by saying this is by no means to take away from the work Sarah is doing w/ the 10x10 Challenge. If however you know you can't make that commitment (which I know I can't) I thought this could be a fun/interesting alternative some people may be willing to try. I'll also quickly add that while I've been lurking on BGG for awhile I've only recently become more active and started posting, and even more recently found the general forums as opposed to the game specific ones. This is my first time trying anything like this, so don't expect anything as organized as the 10x10 Challenge (aka no microbadges, no geek gold to be won, etc). All I can offer is a sense of personal accomplishment... which you'll have to supply yourself

Anyway, the general thought is to put together a list of 15 unplayed games you want to play in 2015. These can be ones that have been sitting on your shelf for years and remain untouched, or ones that you got/are getting for Christmas (whether as a gift or a self-gift). In fact if you want you can even overlap the two challenges and commit to playing one/more of your unplayed games 10 times and put it on both lists. The one thing that you can't seem to do w/ the geeklists is create an empty spaceholder. So I guess if you want to not come up w/ 15 for the original list in anticipation of new games purchased in 2015 that's fine. It seems you can always add to lists later. For me in part because this idea came about due to the number of games I have that remain unplayed (yet I keep buying games) I'm going to try and be good next year and not buy anything new... Except for expansions to current games I have, can't go completely crazy whistle (related discussion here). So I went ahead and created my list now. How you want to manage your list is up to you.

Anyway, if people think this is a good idea and accept the challenge please post your lists on the list noted above in the EDIT. If people think this is a bad idea, trying to step on toes or something like that, please let me know that as well and I'll just work my list on my own

Finally here's my list... Some really old games, some KSs I don't have yet. Tried to add a good balance/mix of themes/mechanics and # of players.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Alternative 2015 Challenge: Play 15 of your unplayed games in 2015
I like this a lot better than the 10 x 10 challenge. I at least have a shot to do this one. My group wouldn't sit still for 100 games... too much cult of the new and disagreement on what to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
In. Though since I think I may get to a number of unplayed games through the holidays, I'll hold my geeklist until the new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one unplayed game (Go), so I have no chance with this one. Although, it starts to be time to buy some new games... aaaarrrg ka-ching!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely in, I have enough for TWO lists with more on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea. I have more than enough games to participate!

Edit: here is my [geeklist=182333]Geeklist[/geeklist]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea. I think I will join in on this. In 2013 I posted a geeklist About my unplayed games which numbered about 100. I have since played 34 of them and several of the others I sold or traded as they really didn't seem likely to be games I would enjoy. Of course, in the current year I have added many more unplayed games (mostly through thrift store finds) so I think it will be a challenge just to narrow it down to 15 games out of the 80+ unplayed games I have at this point. I may have to make it a longer list, or have a secondary list of viable substitutions.

Thanks for the impetus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in too. We have a bunch of games that are unplayed that we need to evaluate before the next Origins math trade. Way more than 15, but if we can get 15 done that would be great.

You might consider creating a centralized geek list where everybody can add an entry for their own challenge, similar to the 10x10 challenge. That entry could either be a list of games or a link to the participant's geeklist. But it would be helpful to have a single list of folks participating.

Or not. Its up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like the perfect excuse to buy more games, very tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
ngwilliam wrote:

You might consider creating a centralized geek list where everybody can add an entry for their own challenge, similar to the 10x10 challenge. That entry could either be a list of games or a link to the participant's geeklist. But it would be helpful to have a single list of folks participating.

Good idea... here it is Alternative 2015 Challenge Lists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alana Davis
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great challenge idea, I'm on board.

Here's Alana's list: 15 Unplayed Games for 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
ngwilliam wrote:

Good idea... here it is Alternative 2015 Challenge Lists

Cool! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I play someone else's unplayed games, or do I have to own them myself? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to play one new game every weekly session, so we could probably commit to 40 and still pull that off.

Pete (would fail the 10x10 though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Going to join and will add my list within the next days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does this have to be fifteen games that we currently own but are unplayed? Or can it include games we purchase during 2015 that we haven't played yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alana Davis
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
Does this have to be fifteen games that we currently own but are unplayed? Or can it include games we purchase during 2015 that we haven't played yet?

Not sure what the "official" ruling on that would be but I assumed you can include unplayed games you do not yet own (and did so on my list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
MK99 wrote:

This is nothing "official" so there are no real rules. I added 15 to my list just to have number, some are preorders/kickstarters, but on at least one of them I mentioned it may be replaced. You are free to do the same and swap out games later, or just put as many games on there as you want for now and add others later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My unplayed games list is here:

I do not like the cone of shame

I've also (nearly) completed the 10x10. The games I've played, I've played a fair amount...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Who knows - your new favourite game might be sitting there just waiting to be given a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm in.

I signed up for the 2014 10x10 (and will complete it this month (maybe even this weekend). I am going to sign up for 2015 10x10 and do the 15 in '15 as well.

I have a number of games in my collection that I have never played, so I am adding an additional criteria for my list. I am going to play 15 games in 2015 from my unplayed games acquired prior to 2015. If I buy a game in 2015 and play it for the first time, great; but I won't include it towards the count for this challenge.

I still have to pick the games for my list, then I will post it to the official list of lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been keeping my own spreadsheet the past year, tracking the games I have listed as unplayed and working my way through them. I've gotten it down to mostly Space Alert and Time's Up: Title Recall that are still completely unplayed, but I hear Santa will be giving me more opportunities, and I have many more games that I've just played so long ago that it was before I was tracking games so I'll count those too. I know I'll make it to 15, but I can't define the 15 ahead of time like most folks, so I'll just need to start the list and have it grow organically throughout 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twisto twisto
Austria
Linz
Austria
flag msg tools
"Me? I know who I am! I'm just a dude playing as a dude disguised as another dude."
mbmbmbmbmb
twisto's Personal Challenge: 15 games to play in 2015

I salute the OP for this initiative, and will do my best to join in. My intention is to limit (maybee reduce) my collection and to concentrate on playing the games I already have. I am not doing this to hurt the gaming industry - on the contrary I will continue to spread the hobby in any other way I can...

I am basically following the rules of the OP with a few minor tweeks:
- I will pick the games along the way from the unplayed games I currently have.
- I will then decide if I am keeping the specific game(s).

I am also taking part in the Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2015.

My present 30 unplayed games from which to try to play 15 in 2015:

Airlines: Europe
Black Fleet
Deadwood
Defenders of the Realm
Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields
Firefly: Out to the Black
Game of Thrones: The Card Game HBO
In the Shadow of the Emperor (Im Schatten des Kaisers) - Donated to JVMF-Auction 2015
Kings and Castles
Kronen für den König
Legends of Andor (Die Legenden von Andor)
Libertalia
Mascarade
Mister X
Munchkin Conan Quest
Once Upon a Time (Es war einmal...)
Pirate's Cove (Piratenbucht)
Pocket Battles: Orcs vs. Elves (Orks vs. Elfen)
Red November (Roter November)
Rheinländer
Ruse & Bruise (Kabale und Hiebe)
Space Mission
Star Realms (ordered December 2014 with delivery in 2015)
Summoner Wars
The Hobbit (Der Hobbit)
The Resistance: Avalon (Der Wiederstand: Avalon)
To Court the King (Um Krone und Kragen)
Viking Fury
Yggdrasil
Yspahan

15 + 7 = 22 games played meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twisto twisto
Austria
Linz
Austria
flag msg tools
"Me? I know who I am! I'm just a dude playing as a dude disguised as another dude."
mbmbmbmbmb

Any chance of someone making a microbadge for this?

twisto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
How does one go about making a microbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.