Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies & Gentlemen,

After having analyzed your awesome proposals, we selected our top five and now we're inviting you to vote and help us choose the final name.

Poll
What is the best name for the Exodus: Expansion?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Exodus: Divergence
30.4% 17
Exodus: Edge of Extinction
39.3% 22
Exodus: Factions
19.6% 11
Exodus: Interstellar Conflict
14.3% 8
Exodus: New Order
17.9% 10
Voters 56
This poll is now closed.   56 answers
Poll created by anovac
Closes: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:00 am

The poll is open until Friday and it goes on here as well as on the NSKN Facebook page and the NSKN blog.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Lopez
United States
Near Taos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... frankly I can't vote for any of them.

Too Banal... predictable!

as Paul Gauguin once carved in wood
-- "Be Mysterious" shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos66lopez wrote:
... frankly I can't vote for any of them.

Too Banal... predictable!

as Paul Gauguin once carved in wood
-- "Be Mysterious" shake

Mysterious doesn't sell. There is a reason why virtually every game/book/film has a "predictable" name ... it's because that's what people prefer, in general.

Formula D
Rampage
Love Letter
Alchemists
The Castles of Burgundy
Hanabi
Tokaido
Monopoly
World of Warcraft
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Runaway Jury
Harry Potter

I mean, really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoel
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving us the chance to vote on this Andrei!

I am just going to add some written feedback too. I believe factions is not the coolest sounding but the most appropriate because after having play tested the new expansion this is the central theme of the expansion (from my perspective at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Amey
United States
Eastern Shore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I misread the instructions. I thought polling was open through Friday. Got my vote in, just forgot to mention it to my gaming friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Lopez
United States
Near Taos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"I mean really" -- what does that mean???????

I can't agree, Rainer...
The title and cover image are the first thing a person is
struck with; with so many games out there (and everything
else out there to vie for people's dwindling attention span)
I see this as perhaps an opportunity for games to use lure in
the more intelligent and often "niche" tolerable gamer.

Let game titles be separate from film & books-- because they
are not them. But I argue that your example of "The Hobbit"
was, when released, not at all banal-- no one called anyone
a "hobbit" back then; so it was unique, if simple.

Also-- it's title is actually "The Hobbit, or There and Back
Again"

That-- also-- is not banal. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I'm saying, is, a name should be descriptive and relevant. A lot of hardcore gamers (myself included, and presumably you as well) don't need the name to be descriptive. Who the publisher is, the designer, the artwork, a quick look at the back of the box, perhaps a few reviews ... for the most part, I could care less what the game is named.

The problem does not really become apparent until the second or third wave of customers ... I am generally introduce games to others more often than the other way around. The name usually makes all the difference between "can we play [game name] again" and "what was the name of that game again ... you know, the one where you gain resources ... and you're building ..."

A game with a descriptive (or even, dare I say, simple and boring) title will often be remembered more easily. It makes people feel good when they remember the title; likewise, it makes them feel dumb for forgetting a title (especially when asking, and I can easily name it precisely).

I'm not just comparing games with books and films ... Consider artists, music, toys — anything intended for entertainment. I agree that the name is important, and I agree that it should not be "banal." However, I think you also fail to consider the fact that not all names are considered equally banal by everyone. I, for one, think that most of the suggestions for the title of the expansion, including the ones above, have been very good.

Certainly, some have been better than others, but that's a matter of personal preference, not necessarily a reflection of the quality of a given name.

As far as "The Hobbit" goes — that name is still incredibly descriptive, despite people not knowing, at the time, what a "hobbit" was/is. The same is true for many board game titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also say, Carlos — I find this discussion incredibly interesting, despite our disagreement. I do not think any lesser of you for disagreeing with me. In fact, you bring up very important points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlos66lopez wrote:

Also-- it's title is actually "The Hobbit, or There and Back
Again"

That-- also-- is not banal. cool

"There and Back Again" is exceptionally banal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your help with proposing great ideas and voting to chose one of them.

The preferred title, both in the poll here and on the NSKN Blog showed a clear winner, Exodus: Edge of Extinction. This is also our (the designers) favorite because it catches the essence of the expansion... humanity is at the edge of extinction, the war between factions (the last 'representatives' of mankind) may very well bring our demise).

We can now say officially that the title of the expansion will be Exodus: Edge of Extinction.

Thanks again everyone and especially Rainer who came up with this cool name and, as promised, he will not be forgotten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.