Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Portals leading to the same world rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that Encounters happen only to heroes that are in the same world as the revealed Exploration Token. Likewise, Depth Event results such as Ambushes, only apply to heroes that are in the same world as the Old Lantern.

So, I'm in the Mines and I find a portal. I draw a world card, and it is also Mines. What happens? If it's the same tile set, is that assumed to be the same world? Or does a portal always mean that it counts as a different world? This also happens in some of the advanced missions, where you have a rule that "All Gates Lead to Targa" or whatever.

Follow up to that: if it IS the same world, then suppose I roll double ones on the Depth Track and get ambushed by Hungry Dead with corpse piles. The zombies ambush heroes on both sides of the portal. But which side do the corpse piles go on? Random, I guess.

Also, unrelatead question: I'm curious how other people handle the World Deck. Do you leave the Mines cards in there? Do you redraw if you get one? Personally, I redraw the 1st Mines card, but if it comes up the second time, then I keep it. This results in a 1-in-6 chance of a Mine portal leading to another section of Mines.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you suppose to remove the World Card for the current World from the World Deck? Therefore, a portal will always lead to a different World?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only have one Mines card active in the deck. (so if you're in the mines, you can't draw the mines) The reason there are two is because you most likely have the two core sets so each comes with one. I put that extra mine card aside just like the extra loot, scavenge and side bag cards as well as the exploration tokens.

If you still decide you want to use both mine cards, I would, personally, consider them different worlds for the purpose of events as the portal is still separating the one mine from the other..(who knows where that other mine is?) I would also find it strange for an ambush to happen on both sides by the same group of monsters when you can't even shoot through the portal if you're not right beside it. Those are my thoughts. I hope that helps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I'm not aware of any rules on what goes in the World Deck. I think you are just supposed to tailor it the way you want it. Maybe wrong, but that's why I was asking how other people do it.

However, even if you don't have any Mines cards in your World Deck, there are still missions that specifically say all portals lead to Targa (like the City of Ancients Mission). Or likewise, one of the advanced missions in Swamps says all portals lead to Jargono.

So, regardless of how you choose to set up the World Deck, you can still get the situation of a portal leading to the same tile set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Aren't you suppose to remove the World Card for the current World from the World Deck? Therefore, a portal will always lead to a different World?


If all the different world cards are in play then Portals link to the world, the game started in [Usually but not always the Mines.].

Plus there are missions where all portals link to a given world. Swamps of Death is one and I think City of Ancients Frozen Expedition and Temple of Dread are as well.

In anwser to the ambush question you place the corpse piles based on which Hero they are targeting. Which will be one in the same world as the trigger but not necessarily one that is in a tile linked contiguously in only that world.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
In anwser to the ambush question you place the corpse piles based on which Hero they are targeting. Which will be one in the same world as the trigger but not necessarily one that is in a tile linked contiguously in only that world.


I can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure I read somewhere that corpse piles do not ambush -- they are immobile and have no attack value, so they don't "target" any hero. I typically place them wherever a non-ambush would be. But obviously that creates a problem if that would be on the other side of the portal from the ambush.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh also, if there is a Blizzard in Targa, and you pass through a portal to a different section of Targa (using the all gates lead to Targa rule), is the Blizzard still in effect?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says that the mines world card should be placed near the depth track. Since every core set is also a standalone-game I'd assume you can't have portals from one mines to another mines.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure I read somewhere that corpse piles do not ambush -- they are immobile and have no attack value, so they don't "target" any hero. I typically place them wherever a non-ambush would be. But obviously that creates a problem if that would be on the other side of the portal from the ambush.


I read that as don't start adjacent and gain +2 initiative and so place them as far from the mine entrance and roughly evenly divided among the vicinity of Heroes as possible.

I suppose you could read that as they don't show up at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
The rules say that Encounters happen only to heroes that are in the same world as the revealed Exploration Token. Likewise, Depth Event results such as Ambushes, only apply to heroes that are in the same world as the Old Lantern.

So, I'm in the Mines and I find a portal. I draw a world card, and it is also Mines. What happens? If it's the same tile set, is that assumed to be the same world? Or does a portal always mean that it counts as a different world? This also happens in some of the advanced missions, where you have a rule that "All Gates Lead to Targa" or whatever.

Follow up to that: if it IS the same world, then suppose I roll double ones on the Depth Track and get ambushed by Hungry Dead with corpse piles. The zombies ambush heroes on both sides of the portal. But which side do the corpse piles go on? Random, I guess.

Also, unrelatead question: I'm curious how other people handle the World Deck. Do you leave the Mines cards in there? Do you redraw if you get one? Personally, I redraw the 1st Mines card, but if it comes up the second time, then I keep it. This results in a 1-in-6 chance of a Mine portal leading to another section of Mines.



1. If there is a Hero in the Mines, the Mine World card is not available to be drawn. So this particular situation cannot occur. As you say, some Missions potentially can cause this situation by having a rule where "all gates lead to XXX". You might double-check those missions, though. I don't have the books before me, but I seem to recall they say something like 'ignore gate icons while in the other world'. If they do not, continue to #2 ...

2. They are the same world. There are not two different "Targa Plateau" worlds. The gates go to different locations of the world, but it is the same world.

3. First, this assumes your Heroes were silly enough to be split up between two Worlds. Barring that, most Enemies (i.e. non-ambush) get placed as far as possible from the Mine Entrance. I would either do that, or yes, simply choose randomly.

4. Technically, the World Deck should have 1 card per World, the mines included. Then, any World which has a Hero in it, has that card removed from the pile and placed by the Depth Track. Yes, if the Heroes are silly enough to have members split in both the Mines and Targa Plateau and continue to explore and go through yet another gate, there won't be a World card available (unless you are using two sets). Since it is a silly (i.e. idiotic IMO) situation for the Heroes to be in, it isn't clearly identified in the rulebook. Based on how gameplay normally works, I would suggest that Gates in a world do not lead to themselves. Gates in the mines do not lead to the mines. Gates in the Targa Plateau do not lead to the Targa Plateau, etc, as the intent seems to be that when heroes are *in* a world, that world's card is unavailable to be drawn.

So, in a 2-set game, the Mines can only ever lead to Targa or Jarongo; Targa can only lead to the Mines or Jarongo; Jarongo can only lead to the mines or Targa.

While it won't break the game, and could be interesting, to have Worlds lead to themselves, that doesn't follow standard gameplay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But there are two Mine cards. Are we supposed to only use one? Has there been an official answer to this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:
But there are two Mine cards. Are we supposed to only use one? Has there been an official answer to this?


There are two because each core set comes with one. You can play it however you like. And as far as how you treat it, it's pretty much a house rule. I would treat them as 'different' mines because that portal could be leading to some other mine nowhere near the first mine. But that's me. To each their own.

And yes, corpse piles and any immobile enemy doesn't ambush and is placed at the back of the room as if it were a normal attack. Pg 7 of the Swamps of Death Adventure book.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Well, that was inconclusive. Thanks for the responses, everyone. Unfortunately, I made the question too confusing. Sorry about that, but let's drop the issue of Mine portals leading to Mines. This is apparently a house rule and has distracted most people from the actual question.

dvang wrote:
As you say, some Missions potentially can cause this situation by having a rule where "all gates lead to XXX". You might double-check those missions, though. I don't have the books before me, but I seem to recall they say something like 'ignore gate icons while in the other world'.


I checked. These missions clearly say you CAN have a gate leading from Targa to Targa. It says the gate leads to a different section of the city. The same would apply to the Swamps mission where all gates lead to Jargono.

So, thematically, it's clear that the portal leads to the same "world", because it's described as a different section of the city.

However, I'm not convinced that''s the mechanical intent of the rules. I consider the main question to still be open.

When a portal leads to the same tile set (which is clearly possible, legal, normal, standard, and even likely, as explained above):
1. Does an encounter on one side of the portal affect heroes on the other side?
2. Does a depth event, such as Blizzard or Ambush, affect heroes on both sides of the portal?

Based on the previous posts there is one vote for yes, and one vote for no.


FencePost wrote:
And yes, corpse piles and any immobile enemy doesn't ambush and is placed at the back of the room as if it were a normal attack. Pg 7 of the Swamps of Death Adventure book.


Ah okay, that's where I read it. But the question remains, place them at the back of which room. Which side of the portal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:


When a portal leads to the same tile set (which is clearly possible, legal, normal, standard, and even likely, as explained above):
1. Does an encounter on one side of the portal affect heroes on the other side?
2. Does a depth event, such as Blizzard or Ambush, affect heroes on both sides of the portal?

Based on the previous posts there is one vote for yes, and one vote for no.


FencePost wrote:
And yes, corpse piles and any immobile enemy doesn't ambush and is placed at the back of the room as if it were a normal attack. Pg 7 of the Swamps of Death Adventure book.


Ah okay, that's where I read it. But the question remains, place them at the back of which room. Which side of the portal?


1. It affects all Heroes in the same World. So, yes, it affects Heroes in both locations. It is really mechanically no different than having Heroes in the Mines spread out over several map tiles. They are all still affected by the Encounter.

2. Same as #1. It affects all Heroes in the same World. So, yes, it affects Heroes in both locations. The game encourages the Heroes to remain together. They will receive no advantages for splitting up, and there is no easy/cheap way to avoid being attacked or affected by Encounters.

3. They are placed in the back of the room that the newly revealed Exploration token was in, if they were spawned by a token. If they were spawned by something else (Depth Chart roll, Darkness Card), then there is no hard and fast rule in the rulebook. I would suggest selecting a random Hero and then spawning on the tile that the selected Hero is on. That (selecting a random Hero) is a pretty standard mechanic for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for rolls on the darkness track these should be placed with the hero holding the lantern
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.