Kraut & Rüben» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Tough Row to Hoe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
flag msg tools
Now that the workweek was over it was time for a little light gardening, which of course means a little friendly competition.
After my last place showing in the garden competition of earlier this month I was determined to take the top prize this time.

Before seed one could be planted, a snail appeared in one of the gardens. Eew! All of the other gardeners claimed a garden after one planting, leaving me a choice between the snail-infested garden and the empty garden. Knowing that the other competitors would attempt to befoul my garden as completely as possible, I chose to hold off my decision until the last minute.

The early competition was characterized by two things: A nasty exchange between gardeners Kevin and Bea, and a concentrated effort by the table to foul the two gardens yet unclaimed in the most effective way possible. Almost totally ignored early on was gardener Lisa's little plot.

I watched helplessly as the seeds carelessly cast into my potential gardens sprung up as dandilions and clover.

While I watched my opportunities dwindle, gardener Bea began shovelling tomato seeds over the fence into Lisa's garden as fast as she could. This didn't seem to bother Lisa very much, but it bothered me a bit as gardener Kevin had sent a snail to attack her own tomato bush and I had thrown a little cabbage her way. Oi! We had played into her hand!

She quickly distributed the last few bits of vegetation around her garden to prevent us from tampering, and then proceeded to foul our gardens as quickly as possible before finishing hers.

Ultimately, I was left with the twice-snail-infested garden as it was the lesser of two evils. I was the last to finish a garden so my last batch of seeds was totally random (I had no place else to put them). The asparagus that I acquired pushed my asparagus garden out of the optimal range, costing my valuable points in the judging.

The result? Bea scored 19 points with the judges, taking the top prize again! Can no one challenge her green thumb???
Kevin and Lisa were neck-and-neck with 11 and 10 points respectively, while I came in dead last (for the second time in a row) with a pathetic 7 points.

When the judges took a look at my pathetic weed and snail infested mess of a garden they simply shook their heads and turned away...

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.