BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that are similar to Wiz-War? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brianne Hager
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for suggestions for games that are similar to Wiz-War that I can play with my 9 and 12 year old boys. Sometimes we can get my husband to join in, but very rarely. He dislikes board games, so games that can be played with 3 players are best. We've been playing Wiz-War so much lately that I'm getting sick of it, and we already have both expansion packs.

We sometimes play Descent and Mansions of Madness, but they take way too long to set up and get through a game and there is so much information to try and remember for characters and turns. I like how easily and quickly Wiz-War can be set up and we can get through a game quite quickly.

We also have some games like Ticket To Ride and Settlers of Catan but they prefer the excitement of Wiz-War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Nexus Ops.

Works very well with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Original Dungeon Twister with the 3/4 player expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gaudet
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Might be too violent for some families but Zombicide is a fun co-op game with a relatively quick pace and is a lot more tactical than strategical (like Wiz-War).

Not sure how well it plays with 3 but Cosmic Encounter might be worth looking at too, lots of player interaction and each player has different powers to the rest. There is some ganging up in this game but it will always be towards the winner so things balance out pretty quickly usually.

Good luck, I really dig Wiz-War too, reminds me of Magic mixed with Capture the Flag but magic would be a poor choice as a big draw of the game is customizing your deck with new cards and that can be quite a money sink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
aurora0205 wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for games that are similar to Wiz-War

King of Tokyo in that it is about player conflict, has lots of special powers, a bunch of luck, turns go quickly, and the art is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Dubien
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom lately and my sons and I love it. Great superhero game. As long as you like one versus everyone else type of games when playing the scenarios (I think there is only one scenario that features more than one playable villain). You can also play it as a skirmish game. Easy to set up, easy to learn, it's a new family favourite at my home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried some of the variants in the wiz-war manual? Unless you are tired of the entire base game system, there are some neat options included like drafting individual player spell decks and different victory conditions that might breathe life into it.

If you still desire a change of scenery, I hear Cross Master Arena and Golem Arcana are similarly structured. Mage Wars is another, heavier recommendation, but at least much of the player setup (the spell book building) can occur outside of the game itself. Good luck and happy gaming.

*Edit: Looking at your collection, I wondered how did your boys take to Dungeon Pets? Was it too rules heavy or did it make sense (assuming you've tried it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brianne Hager
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for all of the suggestions, they are very helpful!

We have played Dungeon Petz, they like it, but the rounds get long. Especially assigning needs to the pets. We have also played all of the different rule variations in Wiz-War.

I asked them what they love so much about Wiz-War and they told me that they get to attack each other and affect the game with different cards (rotating sectors, adding walls, etc..) and they never know which cards they might get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.