Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So finally, after admiring the craftiness of others, I felt the confidence to try making a foam core insert for 7 wonders. Since I have all official expansion stuff the base box wasn't working and taking the insert out left to much room for stuff to bang around.

So here is the final product. Measurements are shoddy (remember, first time) but it at least fulfills its purpose. I ended up glueing the walls and bottom into place to reinforce the already damaged box.

Here you see how the bigger pull out fits in. As I said, the measuring was shoddy and that resulted in this. Some how, because of how it was cut, the pull out fits best upside down. So in reaction to this phenomenon I glued two strips on the back.

And here you see the small box fits snug between the "handles" of the bigger.

And finally, I cut a second big piece to slide in on top, ensuring that no pieces go tumbling around. Corners are cut out for ease of removal.

Top fits perfect

In the end, I'm excited to try it out again, not sure which game i'll do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro S
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Congrats. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made a foam core insert for my Android netrunner game, however I taped it to the box... The tape let up and cards went flying. What type of glue did you use to attach to the box? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice
But be careful it can get addictive, I'm now starting to almost be happy when I open boxed and there is a crappy insert, just because I have a better reason to make one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice... but I prefer black inserts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! You should submit these images to the game page. If you do, make sure you submit them under the creative gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam Core, sound like an extreme metal sub-genre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mb
Looks great!

One of the tips I can relay for foam core is to use push pins that are used for sewing instead of just gluing (or to replace gluing altogether. I found that the assembly is twice as fast and I'm not trying to balance pieces to glue them (or smudging the glue on the foam).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foam core seems to be quite expensive. at my quick research I found that 10 "sheets" (A4-A1 depending on seller) cost about 40€! That will probably more than you need for one game but I'd still not be willing to pay say half of a game's price just to get a fancy instert.

Just my opinion on the topic. (Correct me if my price information is totally wrong.)

(On your project: it does of course look great and it probably is pretty useful, it's just the cost that make me hesitate.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Foam core seems to be quite expensive. at my quick research I found that 10 "sheets" (A4-A1 depending on seller) cost about 40€! That will probably more than you need for one game but I'd still not be willing to pay say half of a game's price just to get a fancy instert.

Just my opinion on the topic. (Correct me if my price information is totally wrong.)

(On your project: it does of course look great and it probably is pretty useful, it's just the cost that make me hesitate.)

A while ago I bought a box of 20 A2 sheets for 45€ and a single one is basically enough for an average sized game (something like Andor takes of course a little bit more) so I wouldn't consider it very expensive.

Edit: yes 3 edits for THAT sentence. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
I just made a foam core insert for my Android netrunner game, however I taped it to the box... The tape let up and cards went flying. What type of glue did you use to attach to the box? Thanks!

I used Aleenes brand tacky glue. I loved using it because of how fast it dries.

At least here in the states, foam core was cheaper than I though. For this insert I used up two 15 X 20 sheets. I used white instead of black because white was about $1.75 and black was $2.75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 10 x A1 (594 x 841mm, 23.4 x 33.1") black 5mm foamboard via Amazon.co.uk for £29 inc delivery (say €3.60/sheet) and white for a few £ less.

I find the foamcore route much better than using plano boxes in many cases - typically those where you have many expansions (like the 7W example, Carcassonne, Agricola) or many different chits to organise: Le Havre, say.

Bought in bulk - and bought in big sheets - it's quite cheap and it IS easy to work with. A sharp blade is essential - do not underestimate how essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.